Possible Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amj01

Reaction score
Hi all!
I am in a bit of a tough situation. I applied this cycle 2021-2022 and four interviews which all resulted in waitlists. One school told me I was in the bottom third of the waitlist so I don't expect to get off that one. However, the other three are not able to tell me where I am on the list. Two are in my state of residence (Georgia) and one is at my alma mater state. My stats are: 509 MCAT, 3.928 GPA, 3.91 sGPA., ORM and GA resident who just graduated from the University of South Carolina with a degree in Exercise Science.

Clinical experience:
1. 76 hours volunteering at my city hospital (haven't accumulated more hours due to COVID restrictions/no student volunteers).
2. 117 hours as a paid medical assistant in my hometown during the 2020 summer
3. Currently working a full time job in a pathology lab this summer, expecting around 400 hours
4. Have 75 hours of shadowing in various medical fields (peds, ortho, dermatolgy, and physical therapy)
5. 300 hour academic credit internship through my university at the largest physical therapy and sports performance clinic near my university. Had to be physical therapy since my major was exercise science and internship needed to be related to my major

Non-Clinical
1. 4 year member of a social sorority and was on executive council for a year and held a committee chair position for 6 months after that
2. Did psychology research for a semester for academic credit
3. Received "Outstanding Exercise Science Student Award" through my major which is only awarded to one graduating senior each year so it's a high achievement
4. Part of several student organizations such as Dance Marathon, Order of Omega, and Exercise Science club
5. played intramural soccer each spring semester for fun
6. Was a TA for an incoming freshman seminar course where I taught freshmen how to "survive college" academically, financially, and other ways (freshmen are required to take it per the university)

I had four letters of rec that I thought were decently strong, but if I reapplied I would only acquire three that I know would be very strong.

My dilemmna is that I am not sure how much better my application really could be considering I received four interviews this past year (MCG, Mercer, UofSC-Columbia, UofSC - Greenville). I know for UofSC my big obstacle was that I was technically an out of state student. I felt pretty confident in my interviews and didn't think I dropped the ball on any of them. Please help me out because I am okay with reapplying but truly don't know what else I could do!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, the best thing you could do for your app is retake the MCAT, but only if you're confident you could get a 515+. 4 interviews is really good- there's a pretty decent chance that's where you can improve the most.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Work on interview skills. Low clinical and non-clinical volunteering helping those less fortunate is likely what held you back. At the schools you interviewed at, your MCAT was fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the best thing you could do for your app is retake the MCAT, but only if you're confident you could get a 515+. 4 interviews is really good- there's a pretty decent chance that's where you can improve the most.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
TBH i'm not confident about scoring that high. I scored a 509 on AAMCFL4 and that was 5 days before my real test. My mcat was within range of the four schools I got interviews at and my GPA is high enough that I am not worried about MCAT unless i get rejected again this upcoming cycle.

Something nobody has mentioned but all of your non clinical activities aren't helping vulnerable populations. Try to get some time in at a food bank or homeless shelter.

Hopefully you'll still get in this cycle,

However, you need to proceed as if that's not happening if you want to reapply this cycle. Towards that end, try to get more clinical exposure. Volunteer to work with the underserved. And get interview coaching before you interview again. Also make sure that you update your application. Don't just submit the same personal statement, MMEs and activity descriptions that you used last time. Same with the secondaries. Schools will want to see growth and improvement. Finally, apply early in the cycle.