This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I went through a rough semester this semester with some personal family issues. I was wondering what my options would be with a possible D on my transcript? My GPA is obviously going to go down but am I mandated to undergo a post bacc now? Is it still possible?

Members don't see this ad.

bro we need your GPA after you graduate to determine if you need to do anything after

Reactions: 4 users
Not the end of the world- but will really hurt if it is in a core science course/pre-rec. You will have to explain it. Is a D a passing grade at your school? You may need to retake it.

What was the class in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not the end of the world- but will really hurt if it is in a core science course/pre-rec. You will have to explain it. Is a D a passing grade at your school? You may need to retake it.

What was the class in?

Unfortunately, it may be in Bio :( I'll just end up retaking it. And No it is not passing so ill probably have to retake it next summer or something. I know I'll definitely have to explain it. It sucks but my previous semesters are above 3.80 and my summer semester was a 4.0. This is the first semester I've done so terribly. Personal family issues suck

bro we need your GPA after you graduate to determine if you need to do anything after

Yeah you're right. I've still got a couple of years before I graduate so... Thank you.

A D in a prereq will mean you will have to retake. A D in anything else will just impact your GPA. A single D on a transcript won't make much difference in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, it may be in Bio :( I'll just end up retaking it. And No it is not passing so ill probably have to retake it next summer or something. I know I'll definitely have to explain it. It sucks but my previous semesters are above 3.80 and my summer semester was a 4.0. This is the first semester I've done so terribly. Personal family issues suck
General Bio?

General Bio. was a waste of time.

I learned biology in classes like immunology.

Yes, you have to retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Hopefully I can. I'll definitely have to explain it though right?

I know someone who had the admissions chairperson tell them to explain a "D" on the secondary.

However, I don't know if this is universal. Maybe ask the schools you're applying to for more advice on that.

@Goro can help.

Yeah I know I have to.

Just wondering if I am totally screwed!?
I would not retake the intro class, but rather take any upper level bio class like micro, cell, genetics, and such. But the problem might be that Intro to Bio is a prereq for all of these and requires at least a C.

However, if you retake and get A, your D should not be a problem with otherwise good stats.

I would not retake the intro class, but rather take any upper level bio class like micro, cell, genetics, and such. But the problem might be that Intro to Bio is a prereq for all of these and requires at least a C.

However, if you retake and get A, your D should not be a problem with otherwise good stats.

Yeah. Honestly it's just been this semester. Every other semester has been a 3.85+

Reactions: 1 users

Yea, I'm thinking a retake is 100% needed.

Yeah. Honestly it's just been this semester. Every other semester has been a 3.85+
How did you do in other science classes like chemistry?

I feel your pain and your situation, but TBH getting a D in an intro class is not easy. Was it a hard class with lots of material or you think you could do better if you would not have personal family issues that you have experienced? I ask this in case if it was hard and you need to reanalyze your approach to Bio courses.

How did you do in other science classes like chemistry?

I feel your pain and your situation, but TBH getting a D in an intro class is not easy. Was it a hard class with lots of material or you think you could do better if you would not have personal family issues that you have experienced? I ask this in case if it was hard and you need to reanalyze your approach to Bio courses.

I always got A's in Chemistry courses. Orgo's been kinda rough but it is to everyone lol. Physics, Calculus, etc. I got straight A's. Even in my online Neuro course I did pretty well (B+/A-), and I went up to Calc 2. I do really well with memorization. I've just had a hard time focusing on school this semester Bc of personal family issues. I haven't been doing well in courses Bc of the counseling and the crap. I just haven't been motivated. I know it's hard and stuff but I usually do well with all my other courses. I always do well in science courses it's just that I'm dealing with a lot of **** to where I just feel like crap...

I vote retake. If the grade was a C or better than I would say take higher level courses and ace them. However, a D means you did not know enough of the material to say you have "learned" from the course.

I wouldnt trip about just 1 D though. Just do as well as you can and see where you sit by the last few semesters cGPA-wise. Keep asking for advice and stay open to opportunities to improve your app.

I vote retake. If the grade was a C or better than I would say take higher level courses and ace them. However, a D means you did not know enough of the material to say you have "learned" from the course.

I wouldnt trip about just 1 D though. Just do as well as you can and see where you sit by the last few semesters cGPA-wise. Keep asking for advice and stay open to opportunities to improve your app.

There's no voting. He has to.

I always got A's in Chemistry courses. Orgo's been kinda rough but it is to everyone lol. Physics, Calculus, etc. I got straight A's. Even in my online Neuro course I did pretty well (B+/A-), and I went up to Calc 2. I do really well with memorization. I've just had a hard time focusing on school this semester Bc of personal family issues. I haven't been doing well in courses Bc of the counseling and the crap. I just haven't been motivated. I know it's hard and stuff but I usually do well with all my other courses. I always do well in science courses it's just that I'm dealing with a lot of **** to where I just feel like crap...
You are ok then. Just retake next time. And it should not be a problem.

People always have choices, young sparrow.

"sparrow" because that's a cliche', or "sparrow" because your subconscious mind saw the words "robin" and "jay"?

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I'm gonna try to do better next semester. The good thing is that this course doesn't stop me from taking any of the courses I was gonna take next semester anyway. I think I should still be good. God I'd hate to see my GPA after this... I'm just gonna do a grade forgiveness thing. Even though it won't matter for AMCAS bc I'll have to enter in both grades, it is still better than seeing it every time I check my grades.

I had a consistently mediocre (and sometimes bad, i.e. "D" in Gen Chem) pre-med record until my senior year, but I had a very good (and true) explanation for it that I detailed in my personal statement. I applied broadly and got 8 IIs this cycle (first time applying) including OOS MD. I recommend retaking the class for an "A" and being able to explain what happened. A single "D" shouldn't rule you out.

Edit: I'm thinking it could possibly rule you out for Top Schools, but I never really cared to ride the prestige train. I think having outstanding extracurriculars, strong writing skills, and a good fit with programs you're applying for can go a very long way.

Are you sure you can't get an exemption to withdraw from the professor?
I know some universities only issue withdraw if you are passing the class. otherwise it is like WF. I once had to withdraw and professors had to sign off saying that I have at least a C in the class to get W.

I had a consistently mediocre (and sometimes bad, i.e. "D" in Gen Chem) pre-med record until my senior year, but I had a very good (and true) explanation for it that I detailed in my personal statement. I applied broadly and got 8 IIs this cycle (first time applying) including OOS MD. I recommend retaking the class for an "A" and being able to explain what happened. A single "D" shouldn't rule you out.
What is your MCAT?

What is your MCAT?

An unbalanced 510. When asked to explain application weaknesses, I explained that my 125+ in my weak areas indicated sufficient mastery for surviving med school science, while scoring in the top 5% of all applicants in other areas (like CARS) suggested strong analytical skills that would make me an outstanding physician. I also have a ton of extracurricular experience, which I argued demonstrated excellence in applied clinical settings (solving problems and empathizing with others in very stressful situations is an obvious strength from viewing my application). I feel like I was probably ruled out from certain programs in part because of my lower science GPA and mediocre science MCAT performance, but those programs are probably not good fits for me, anyway. Doctors bring different things to the table. For me, it wouldn't be solving OChem problems on the ED whiteboard or discovering a biochemical pathway in a lab; it would be reasoning through real clinical cases and exercising strong communication skills with patients :D

Edit: Don't want to hijack the thread with a personal story. My main point is insight and genuine confidence can make up for objective application weaknesses.

Sorry guys. I know im being neurotic. I know a guy that got a D- in a course and then aced everything and graduated with a 3.8x GPA. He's doing great and is ready to apply to medical schools.

I don't think I'm totally screwed. Even for top schools. If I do better and keep the GPA high enough with a good MCAT score, I think and hope I still have a good shot. I mean, I'm not trying to go to an Ivy League medical school, but I'm still gonna apply if my GPA and MCAT score is within range. But my main target is my FL schools and FL is a lucky state for in staters.

I will do better next semester. Family issues and things like that, are something adcoms understand I think as long as I've done better in the upcoming semesters. My other semesters have been really great, 3.8+ and a 4.0 over this past summer. So Fall 2017 just sucked lol but hopefully the upcoming ones will be better hehe

-rolls eyes-

You'll be perfectly fine with just retaking the course and getting an A. Having a D in a course might affect your GPA but will not dramatically bring you to your demise in medicine. Also, if you've shown a good track record of success after replacing the D and in every other semester, you should be fine.

Good luck.

-rolls eyes-

You'll be perfectly fine with just retaking the course and getting an A. Having a D in a course might affect your GPA but will not dramatically bring you to your demise in medicine. Also, if you've shown a good track record of success after replacing the D and in every other semester, you should be fine.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. I hope to do better indeed. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks again. What other advice would you have?!