This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rufus2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my DS1 year and am hesitant in continuing dental school. Around 2 years ago, I started having some hand issues but multiple orthopedic surgeons assured me that they would resolve in time. None of them believed that this would hinder me from going to dental school so I decided to defer to people more educated then me. I have been doing some physical therapy on and off for some time and it has resolved up until the point where I start working out. Fast forward to 1 month before dental school, I have developed ulnar nerve compression in both my elbows and the pain radiates up and down my arms. While I really do love dentistry and school itself, I am so scared of continuing with dental school. I wanted to give myself a chance to actually see if my issues would resolve in time but most days, the pain is unbearable and this isn't even due to practicing in pre-clinic. It is affecting my ability to study and concentrate. I love the health care field so I am considering switching to medicine or PA. Would the transition be extremely difficult? Has anyone dealt with issues like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just started my DS1 year and am hesitant in continuing dental school. Around 2 years ago, I started having some hand issues but multiple orthopedic surgeons assured me that they would resolve in time. None of them believed that this would hinder me from going to dental school so I decided to defer to people more educated then me. I have been doing some physical therapy on and off for some time and it has resolved up until the point where I start working out. Fast forward to 1 month before dental school, I have developed ulnar nerve compression in both my elbows and the pain radiates up and down my arms. While I really do love dentistry and school itself, I am so scared of continuing with dental school. I wanted to give myself a chance to actually see if my issues would resolve in time but most days, the pain is unbearable and this isn't even due to practicing in pre-clinic. It is affecting my ability to study and concentrate. I love the health care field so I am considering switching to medicine or PA. Would the transition be extremely difficult? Has anyone dealt with issues like this?

You chose the one field where hand skills is integral to the practice of the profession. There will be cheerleaders on the board that will say you can go oral pathology or be a professor, but if you have a large debt load, you will never pay it off that way. If you truely have hand problems as you stated, I would strongly suggest pursuing medecine/PA where there are many fields that do not use hands as their bread and butter. Meaning, you may not be able to be a surgeon, but you could easily be a internal physician and diagnose or maybe radiology etc etc. Dentistry is literally 110% hands-on.

Reactions: 2 users
You chose the one field where hand skills is integral to the practice of the profession. There will be cheerleaders on the board that will say you can go oral pathology or be a professor, but if you have a large debt load, you will never pay it off that way. If you truely have hand problems as you stated, I would strongly suggest pursuing medecine/PA where there are many fields that do not use hands as their bread and butter. Meaning, you may not be able to be a surgeon, but you could easily be a internal physician and diagnose or maybe radiology etc etc. Dentistry is literally 110% hands-on.
Thanks for the advice Rainee, its honestly just been so hard to come to terms with this. I am waiting to confirm my diagnosis as I have some doctor's appointments this week. I am just nervous about having to restart although I am only 21. Do you think medical or PA schools would look down upon my application? I scored very well on my DAT and my undergraduate GPA is a 3.98 with a lot of leadership, service, and work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice Rainee, its honestly just been so hard to come to terms with this. I am waiting to confirm my diagnosis as I have some doctor's appointments this week. I am just nervous about having to restart although I am only 21. Do you think medical or PA schools would look down upon my application? I scored very well on my DAT and my undergraduate GPA is a 3.98 with a lot of leadership, service, and work.

Happened to randomly stumble on this thread. I'm a 4th year PM&R Resident Physician. We manage a lot of patients with ulnar neuropathy at the elbow and perform EMG/NCS to clinch the diagnosis. If it's due to compression at the elbow from leaning on it often, responds well to avoiding that. If not, it can respond pretty well to surgical intervention decompressing the nerve at the elbow and you're right in the window of time where you'd get the best results from that.

Happened to randomly stumble on this thread. I'm a 4th year PM&R Resident Physician. We manage a lot of patients with ulnar neuropathy at the elbow and perform EMG/NCS to clinch the diagnosis. If it's due to compression at the elbow from leaning on it often, responds well to avoiding that. If not, it can respond pretty well to surgical intervention decompressing the nerve at the elbow and you're right in the window of time where you'd get the best results from that.
Hi sloh,
I developed some tenosynovitis and ganglion cysts as well about 2 years ago but did not have them removed or aspirated due to common recurrence. The pain would come and go but I am currently taking Mobic to manage it. I actually had an EMG done before I started dental school and the results came out normal. When I went to the orthopedic surgeon about 2 weeks ago, he suggested I see a neurologist for the nerve pain as it has gotten worse. Its honestly just been so much back and forth between doctor visits and deciding what to do. I really do want to continue with dental school but I am scared about repercussions later through my career. I'm also worried about dealing with disabillity insurance if I do become a dentist due to this issue.

Hi sloh,
I developed some tenosynovitis and ganglion cysts as well about 2 years ago but did not have them removed or aspirated due to common recurrence. The pain would come and go but I am currently taking Mobic to manage it. I actually had an EMG done before I started dental school and the results came out normal. When I went to the orthopedic surgeon about 2 weeks ago, he suggested I see a neurologist for the nerve pain as it has gotten worse. Its honestly just been so much back and forth between doctor visits and deciding what to do. I really do want to continue with dental school but I am scared about repercussions later through my career. I'm also worried about dealing with disabillity insurance if I do become a dentist due to this issue.

It might be worth getting a repeat NCS/EMG. It's not unusual that if the NCS/EMG is performed too early, not enough time has passed for the findings to manifest on electrodiagnostic studies. A competent and skilled PM&R or Neurologist physician will also do a cervical root screen to make sure the symptoms aren't coming from a pinched nerve in the neck.

It might be worth getting a repeat NCS/EMG. It's not unusual that if the NCS/EMG is performed too early, not enough time has passed for the findings to manifest on electrodiagnostic studies. A competent and skilled PM&R or Neurologist physician will also do a cervical root screen to make sure the symptoms aren't coming from a pinched nerve in the neck.
Thanks so much for your help sloh. I will definitely let the neurologist know.

Great replies from a physician but:

1) Debtal careers (and I purposely spelled it that way as debt is crazy high now) are long. 20-30 years long. Along the way 30-50 years of age many dentists have ailments from hands to back to pinched nerves. Personally I’m 31 and I have back problems and I work out and in great shape. You are 21 with problems already? Um... you aren’t gonna get better over time, most likely you will degrade... that’s just age

2) you will most likely not have disability insurance as you have a condition.

3) loans are non dischargable. If you rack up a large student loan and cannot practice/pay it off the gov can and will garnish your wages whatever you decide to do until they get their money back. It’s not a joke. Paying back big loans as a business owner... doable. Paying back big loans as a teacher/pathologist because you can’t practice as a business owner?....very hard.

You are super young. I can’t speak for yourself. If it’s truely a problem or not. You have to decide for yourself.

Great replies from a physician but:

1) Debtal careers (and I purposely spelled it that way as debt is crazy high now) are long. 20-30 years long. Along the way 30-50 years of age many dentists have ailments from hands to back to pinched nerves. Personally I’m 31 and I have back problems and I work out and in great shape. You are 21 with problems already? Um... you aren’t gonna get better over time, most likely you will degrade... that’s just age

2) you will most likely not have disability insurance as you have a condition.

3) loans are non dischargable. If you rack up a large student loan and cannot practice/pay it off the gov can and will garnish your wages whatever you decide to do until they get their money back. It’s not a joke. Paying back big loans as a business owner... doable. Paying back big loans as a teacher/pathologist because you can’t practice as a business owner?....very hard.

You are super young. I can’t speak for yourself. If it’s truely a problem or not. You have to decide for yourself.

You make some good points. It just really broke my heart to read this thread and I wanted to offer some help regardless whether he stays in dentistry or not. And yes you are correct, procedural specialties on the average experience more MSK pathologies (see below). If it weren't for my serendipitous exposure to PM&R in college, I would have pursued dentistry.

Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders Among Surgeons and Interventionalists

Last edited:
I am honestly just so torn. My parents want me to at least try to finish the semester and see where I am at but I don't see myself getting better, mentally and physically. Pending my visit to the neurologist and orthopedic surgeon, I will make my decision later this week. Thanks for all your advice.

I am honestly just so torn. My parents want me to at least try to finish the semester and see where I am at but I don't see myself getting better, mentally and physically. Pending my visit to the neurologist and orthopedic surgeon, I will make my decision later this week. Thanks for all your advice.
I am a practicing dentist - had ulcer nerve decompression surgery on the left elbow in 2008 and it went fine - still practicing...so don't lose hope or cave into fears that may or may not materialize. Wishing you the best.

Reactions: 2 users