Possible being a few weeks delayed start as PGY-1 this year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacobus1919

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day everyone in SDN.

So, I am a non-US IMG, and will be starting as a PGY-1 soon in a program in NY soon. Since, I need a visa to start training, I have been trying to check the US Embassy webpage for a few weeks now and the earliest date I could get an appointment for visa stamping/interview is for the 3rd week of June. My program starts orientation last week of June and officially starts July 1st. With the my country's pre departure clearances needed which could take up a week. I have requested the US Embassy for an expedited appointment for stamping and still waiting for their response to my request.

So, If my request is denied I will have to wait for the original Visa appointment date. Any idea if a program would permit me to be a late a few weeks if I do not get my request approved for an expedited appointment?

Please need advise.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it's totally program dependent on how long they want to hold the spot for you. You should talk with your program.

Reactions: 1 users
So, If my request is denied I will have to wait for the original Visa appointment date. Any idea if a program would permit me to be a late a few weeks if I do not get my request approved for an expedited appointment?
What matters is not what people on the Internet say, but what your program says. Did you bring this up with them yet?

hi, already did. They just want an update. Good news is I got an earlier date. Which is early June.

Reactions: 1 user
Good day everyone in SDN.

So, I am a non-US IMG, and will be starting as a PGY-1 soon in a program in NY soon. Since, I need a visa to start training, I have been trying to check the US Embassy webpage for a few weeks now and the earliest date I could get an appointment for visa stamping/interview is for the 3rd week of June. My program starts orientation last week of June and officially starts July 1st. With the my country's pre departure clearances needed which could take up a week. I have requested the US Embassy for an expedited appointment for stamping and still waiting for their response to my request.

Please need advise.
This happens all the time, and was a known issue brought up when they instituted the match all-in. Sometimes IMGs have to start late. Programs know this.

Do everything in your power to expedite matters and keep your program in the loop at all times. If you can't start on time, they may theoretically be able to screw you over and get the match waived, but it's very unlikely they would for this reason. It's the risk they took taking you and they knew it.

You'll start as soon as you legally can.

This happens all the time, and was a known issue brought up when they instituted the match all-in. Sometimes IMGs have to start late. Programs know this.

Do everything in your power to expedite matters and keep your program in the loop at all times. If you can't start on time, they may theoretically be able to screw you over and get the match waived, but it's very unlikely they would for this reason. It's the risk they took taking you and they knew it.

You'll start as soon as you legally can.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have been giving them updates. I have requested an expedited appointment for visa stamping, but luckily I got an earlier date like next week for a visa stamping appointment. I have to call the Embassy hot line to inform them I have scheduled an earlier date though.