Possible at all to match heme onc with a 223 Step 1 score and repeat year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorforall12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I know this is super annoying since I'm only a third year and haven't even matched IM yet. But I just want to know if I'd be automatically screened before I applied. I got a 223 on Step 1 (1st attempt) and I repeated my first due to failing some classes. I haven't failed any since the. I want to match at my state school's academic IM program. I know that the average step 1 score for heme/onc is a 239. I know that the general advice is to crush Step 2 and my rotations, but is it stupid for me to even think about heme/onc with my red flags? I don't have a geographic preference and would most likely apply super broadly. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Score is fine, just make sure to pass the next ones and impress attendings for good letters and do research. Go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Score is fine, just make sure to pass the next ones and impress attendings for good letters and do research. Go for it!
Yeah, I actually reached out to some heme/onc people at my institution already and have some research projects lined up. Really trying to put effort into them noticing me. Thanks for the advice, you have a good one!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I know this is super annoying since I'm only a third year and haven't even matched IM yet. But I just want to know if I'd be automatically screened before I applied. I got a 223 on Step 1 (1st attempt) and I repeated my first due to failing some classes. I haven't failed any since the. I want to match at my state school's academic IM program. I know that the average step 1 score for heme/onc is a 239. I know that the general advice is to crush Step 2 and my rotations, but is it stupid for me to even think about heme/onc with my red flags? I don't have a geographic preference and would most likely apply super broadly. Thanks!

I matched to a (decently good, IMO) fellowship with a step 1 around 205. I'm probably like ~7 years ahead of you, but yes, your repeat of first year is not that big of a red flag. 223 on step 1 is NOT a red flag.

If you are serious about fellowship, match to the most academic residency you can, research, and get some connections with heme/onc docs while in residency.

Reactions: 1 users
I matched to a (decently good, IMO) fellowship with a step 1 around 205. I'm probably like ~7 years ahead of you, but yes, your repeat of first year is not that big of a red flag. 223 on step 1 is NOT a red flag.

If you are serious about fellowship, match to the most academic residency you can, research, and get some connections with heme/onc docs while in residency.
Seriously from the bottom of my heart, thank you for commenting this! Obviously I know it's not a slam dunk for me but it's reassuring to hear from actual heme onc doctors about their stats. It's nice to know that it's not impossible for me. you have a nice day!

If you want to go to fellowship at the top flagship ivory tower smell your own farts kinda place, you might be screwed. If you want to just get good training and be an oncologist then you'll probably be fine be fine. I matched fine with a very similar step 1 score and I didn't crush step 2 either. Just keep working hard at every step in the path and try to find a residency that has a heme/onc program so you can get involved in research/letters.

If you want to go to fellowship at the top flagship ivory tower smell your own farts kinda place, you might be screwed. If you want to just get good training and be an oncologist then you'll probably be fine be fine. I matched fine with a very similar step 1 score and I didn't crush step 2 either. Just keep working hard at every step in the path and try to find a residency that has a heme/onc program so you can get involved in research/letters.
Yeah that latter option is exactly what I want to do. I'm at a state school in the south and would preferably try to match at our IM program that has a heme/onc fellowship at the institution. Thanks for the post, a lot of the people in the fellowship threads seem to all have 240+ and like 10 publications so it's a little discouraging (but more power to them). And congrats on matching man!

Yep, had a 223 on S1 myself. Started fellowship in 2013. No issues at all getting interviews/matching.

Yeah that latter option is exactly what I want to do. I'm at a state school in the south and would preferably try to match at our IM program that has a heme/onc fellowship at the institution. Thanks for the post, a lot of the people in the fellowship threads seem to all have 240+ and like 10 publications so it's a little discouraging (but more power to them). And congrats on matching man!

Yep, had a 223 on S1 myself. Started fellowship in 2013. No issues at all getting interviews/matching.
Thanks for the response, this lifts me up! I know the average is going up and obviously I know I'm gonna need to work hard af to get a good academic IM residency and do research but it's cool to know I have a shot.

Thanks for the response, this lifts me up! I know the average is going up and obviously I know I'm gonna need to work hard af to get a good academic IM residency and do research but it's cool to know I have a shot.
As a more recent comparison, my step 1 was 213, caribbean med school, medium sized academic center and I have 17 interviews this year. I did a lot of research and get compliments on my letters of rec and my personal statement. Most of my research is posters and oral presentations, 1 real pub from undergrad and some abstracts, so nothing crazy but around 25 total plus active projects. Anyway, your score won't limit you, only you can limit you (work hard and take good care of patients; that's what people notice). Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
As a more recent comparison, my step 1 was 213, caribbean med school, medium sized academic center and I have 17 interviews this year. I did a lot of research and get compliments on my letters of rec and my personal statement. Most of my research is posters and oral presentations, 1 real pub from undergrad and some abstracts, so nothing crazy but around 25 total plus active projects. Anyway, your score won't limit you, only you can limit you (work hard and take good care of patients; that's what people notice). Good luck!
You’re a freaking legend man! Thanks for posting and congrats on the high volume invites!

Congrats on all your interviews and your hard work. But 17 is a TON of interviews and I doubt you need anywhere near that many interviews to match, even if you are concerned about a lower step 1 and Caribbean school. But that's just my opinion--I think sdn tends to scare all of us into doing more than we need to do!

Congrats on all your interviews and your hard work. But 17 is a TON of interviews and I doubt you need anywhere near that many interviews to match, even if you are concerned about a lower step 1 and Caribbean school. But that's just my opinion--I think sdn tends to scare all of us into doing more than we need to do!
I agree, cancelling some