Possible Academic Dismissal...opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glumplum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the textwall, I am really desperate for some feedback on my situation:

During P1, I was late to the final exam of a 1 credit course not allowed to take it. They put me on academic suspension until I could make up the course, and when I returned to P2 year I was on academic probation for the fall semester so they could monitor my performance. Now I am in P2 spring courses, and I am going to get a D in Med Chem. There's no real sob story behind my poor performance this semester, just mild depression that I developed probably during my suspension (which, if it makes any difference, I've been actively seeking help for).

The policy first states that good scholastic requires 2.5 GPA for the term and cumulative. I will not have a 2.5 for this term. Then it states that for all professional years, "students accumulating 3 grades of D or F will be suspended." This does not apply to me--I will have 1 F and 1 D, and I believe my cumulative GPA should survive.

What worries me is that the webpage says these rules are "general guidance, and it is not possible to pre-determine the committee's decisions in all circumstances." I don't see any section regarding repeat offenses. Does anyone have any similar experiences to help me gauge how dire my situation is? I literally feel no desire to study for my last exam tomorrow, and all the desire to vomit all over my notes.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the textwall, I am really desperate for some feedback on my situation:

During P1, I was late to the final exam of a 1 credit course not allowed to take it. They put me on academic suspension until I could make up the course, and when I returned to P2 year I was on academic probation for the fall semester so they could monitor my performance. Now I am in P2 spring courses, and I am going to get a D in Med Chem. There's no real sob story behind my poor performance this semester, just mild depression that I developed probably during my suspension (which, if it makes any difference, I've been actively seeking help for).

The policy first states that good scholastic requires 2.5 GPA for the term and cumulative. I will not have a 2.5 for this term. Then it states that for all professional years, "students accumulating 3 grades of D or F will be suspended." This does not apply to me--I will have 1 F and 1 D, and I believe my cumulative GPA should survive.

What worries me is that the webpage says these rules are "general guidance, and it is not possible to pre-determine the committee's decisions in all circumstances." I don't see any section regarding repeat offenses. Does anyone have any similar experiences to help me gauge how dire my situation is? I literally feel no desire to study for my last exam tomorrow, and all the desire to vomit all over my notes.
If you get a diagnosis in writing, and take it to academic support for documentation of possible accommodation needs, your chances will be improved.

If you get a diagnosis in writing, and take it to academic support for documentation of possible accommodation needs, your chances will be improved.

That's what my dean essentially told me. I have to dig up every scrap of a reason, but I'm not sure if this issue hurts or helps me. From fall to spring semester, I thought I was doing better and switched from individual to group therapy, so no individual assessments from my counselor besides when I first returned, all excited and positive to start the academic term...I also failed to follow up with my psychiatrist properly because, well, weekly exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what my dean essentially told me. I have to dig up every scrap of a reason, but I'm not sure if this issue hurts or helps me. From fall to spring semester, I thought I was doing better and switched from individual to group therapy, so no individual assessments from my counselor besides when I first returned, all excited and positive to start the academic term...I also failed to follow up with my psychiatrist properly because, well, weekly exams.

Sorry to hear about the circumstances but you've shot yourself in the foot here, multiple times... I'm not sure how one gets into a grad program and still doesn't learn to be on time (especially for a final... c'mon man).

Med Chem is one of the least difficult classes in the curriculum, how you can manage to not pull a C is beyond me.

Then you manage to also skip following up with your psychiatrist? I don't care what your excuses are, you are not prioritizing things or even attempting to half-ass manage your time. A little late here, you should've stepped up and been motivated after the whole P1 incident, and not be anywhere close to making Ds. Good luck in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear about the circumstances but you've shot yourself in the foot here, multiple times... I'm not sure how one gets into a grad program and still doesn't learn to be on time (especially for a final... c'mon man).

Med Chem is one of the least difficult classes in the curriculum, how you can manage to not pull a C is beyond me.

Then you manage to also skip following up with your psychiatrist? I don't care what your excuses are, you are not prioritizing things or even attempting to half-ass manage your time. A little late here, you should've stepped up and been motivated after the whole P1 incident, and not be anywhere close to making Ds. Good luck in the future.

The P1 incident was entirely my fault, yes. I was 20 minutes late and people had already finished the exam, so there was really no case for me to argue.

And I totally deserve criticism for my time management and lack of motivation, but in my defense:

In my curriculum, Med Chem requires memorizing around 150-200 drug structures per exam, their SARs, possible metabolism, and some therapeutics stuff (indications, administration routes, major adverse effects/contraindications). This is all so we can answer 45 K questions and a few short answer in which we draw structures from given IUPAC nomenclature. Last semester's Med Chem wasn't so bad once I adapted to studying for it, but this semester included the HIV regimens which killed me. Not really in defense of my grade. Just saying that I am probably scoring closer to the median than you might think for that course.

As for my depression issue...yeah, it doesn't look too good, but there is no need to jump to any conclusions that I didn't care to get motivated. I started therapy and medication in the fall, and seemed to improve, ending with a B overall. Transitioning into spring, I still had sufficient supply of medication (she'd decided I could schedule my next appointment on an as-needed basis) and was still in therapy. Yes, I eventually ran out of antidepressant medication...I was in the middle of getting cleared for TB which, due to the overzealous GP at my school's health center, took nearly a month with repeated follow-ups, a new chest x-ray, labs, and threat of rifampin prophylaxis.

The P1 incident was entirely my fault, yes. I was 20 minutes late and people had already finished the exam, so there was really no case for me to argue.

And I totally deserve criticism for my time management and lack of motivation, but in my defense:

In my curriculum, Med Chem requires memorizing around 150-200 drug structures per exam, their SARs, possible metabolism, and some therapeutics stuff (indications, administration routes, major adverse effects/contraindications). This is all so we can answer 45 K questions and a few short answer in which we draw structures from given IUPAC nomenclature. Last semester's Med Chem wasn't so bad once I adapted to studying for it, but this semester included the HIV regimens which killed me. Not really in defense of my grade. Just saying that I am probably scoring closer to the median than you might think for that course.

As for my depression issue...yeah, it doesn't look too good, but there is no need to jump to any conclusions that I didn't care to get motivated. I started therapy and medication in the fall, and seemed to improve, ending with a B overall. Transitioning into spring, I still had sufficient supply of medication (she'd decided I could schedule my next appointment on an as-needed basis) and was still in therapy. Yes, I eventually ran out of antidepressant medication...I was in the middle of getting cleared for TB which, due to the overzealous GP at my school's health center, took nearly a month with repeated follow-ups, a new chest x-ray, labs, and threat of rifampin prophylaxis.

I went through something like this in school too. For some reason those academic institutions love to read false positives and go all RIPE therapy on you. You might be able to use the stress of your ridiculous TB diagnosis as leverage as well. After all, the school required you to be tested. Make 'em pay.

Can you ask for some time off? That way you can go home and be with friends and family and get re motivated to study hard.

Any change you can talk to your Med Chem teacher about getting some extra credit? It might be too late now, at the semester's end, but most professors will work with students who are really trying--to get them a tutor, extra credit assignment etc.

Oh this sounds like the school I went to lol. Medchem is ASS lol. I also did badly in that POS course and studied 40 hrs/exam for the last 2 exams to pass. If you're borderline C (like 68+ it's likely the course coordinator will curve you up to a C since some of my classmates were in that range and passed. I'd talk to the prof though; he's pretty friendly if you do.)

You'll be fine though. I knew multiple classmates who got 2 Ds p2 spring that moved on. The "3 total Ds and Fs" is a very loose policy. I know a guy who graduated with 4Ds (2 p2 Spring and 2 p3 fall); granted he had to appeal/retake classes.