Possibility of FMG matching in Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an FMG from St. George's (US Citizen). I was wondering what were the possibilities of matching in Derm. What are the board scores one needs to match.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

HEME-ONC said:
I am an FMG from St. George's (US Citizen). I was wondering what were the possibilities of matching in Derm. What are the board scores one needs to match.
Thanks

Not the greatest. YOu either have to have amazing credentials, or have to know someone. Otherwise very low.

Its been done but very difficult.There was a discussion on this board a few months ago so search for that.
There are no specific board scores that will do it.Most of the derm applicants have high scores.Its very competitive even for top US applicants so when IMGs get in they tend to have stellar research and good connections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as with plastics,

slim to none.

None >> slim

Even with good boards scores you would need some awesome publications to your credit and powerful letters of recs from powerful people.

For future reference, this is the case for any of the 'competitive' fields like plastics, derm, surgical subspecialties, radiology, rad-onc.

Other things you can do to maximize your chances:
Get your application in on the first day ERAS opens, apply to alot of places and don't be afraid to spend money going to interviews.

Do a search for the legendary 'Cuts' who was a carrib grad (maybe from your school) who wanted to do rads badly. Despite the odds, he matched.

His motto was 'radiology or burst'.

Interestingly, there is 'another' carrib grad who matched at a rads program in the south but now wants to do psych. Check out the psych forum.

Good luck
-Hans

HEME-ONC said:
Thanks

HEME-ONC said:
Thanks

In all honesty probably close to zero chance. I know someone who recently graduated from there and he said he doesn't think anyone has ever matched into derm from SGU. He personally knew of a classmate who had a 4.0 and a 260 on Step I and didn't get into derm.

speyeder said:
In all honesty probably close to zero chance. I know someone who recently graduated from there and he said he doesn't think anyone has ever matched into derm from SGU. He personally knew of a classmate who had a 4.0 and a 260 on Step I and didn't get into derm.

Derm isn't about what you know, it's about who you know...

fruit fly said:
Derm isn't about what you know, it's about who you know...

Bump...all about who you know..good luck in meeting some academicians.