Possibility in researching during premed? Frustrations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackofknives

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently at the end of my 1st year of premed and I’m very much interested in basic research in the field of neuro and plastics. My plan so far is to become a research assistant and learn the process of researching, planning, protocols, data analysis and more.

I have inquired 4 scientists at my university, showed interests and that I have studied their previous works and I am familiar with their current projects. I offered to work as a lab rat/slave for free. However, no one wanted my cheep (free) labor, what the heck is going on? Most of them said I’m too inexperienced considering I’m “only” a freshman or just talk around the topic and I ended up not knowing what I am lacking to get the job.

Right now I am really confused and frustrated. How could I increase my chances of getting a position as research assistant? Damn it, it’s supposed to be easy, am I just unlucky?

Members don't see this ad.

you sound pretty motivated, but it might not be your fault that ur help wasn't accepted - it might be the fault of those those who preceeded u.

in first year, i had a fellow freshman friend who was planning on med school. as such, he approached a prof, and convinced the prof to take him on as an RA. the prof worked with computers and stuff, and spent several weekends teaching him the ropes - the prof even paid an outside source to train my friend to work with the computers.

it turns out, my friend started to realize he was getting too busy, and thought the additional work would lower his GPA. i had a conversation with him after he had "committed" to the work for several weeks, and he was telling me how he was planning on quitting the job. he was kind of worried at how the prof would take it, since the prof had already invested so many resources in him.

anyways - just a story of a very bad apple. to this day, i can't believe how irresponsible my friend was in the matter.

Edit: the guy did make it to medical school eventually. U of T.

It's a shame that I haven't found a professor like that at my school. If it had the opportunity I would spend all my free time on this and never go home lol. Ah well, the search goes on...

Members don't see this ad :)
don't get discouraged man, you will always have profs who will say stuff like "i just dont have room in the lab" and "im a little busy to take on new students right now." In all fairness, that may be true for a lot of PIs. My advice would be to just keep searching. I got pretty lucky with my lab, but for a summer internship, I must have emailed somewhere in the range of 30 profs. Just keep at it. Eventually you will find a PI who is willing to take on an "inexperienced" freshman such as yourself. I found one :)

Here's a (true) story:
One of my friends was in the same situation you are in - he was a Molecular and Cellular Biology major, wanting to conduct some basic science research but being rejected by every professor he emailed. He eventually got tired of emailing and so one day he donned full laboratory gear - lab coat, goggles, pen and lab notebook - and showed up at a laboratory he wanted to work at. The professor running the lab was so impressed by my friend's initiative that he immediately accepted him into the lab, where he has been working ever since.

Something you might want to try... ;)

At my school many of the freshman started off getting the most menial of jobs i.e. dishwasher, fish tank cleaner etc. and worked their way into the lab research from there. Other professors were willing to take on undergrad researchers, but usually only after sophmore year.