Positive PPD and starting residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drahmajuve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just did a pre-residency check-up in my home country ( Non US-IMG here) just to make sure that everything was in order, but of course, it was not. I had a positive PPD test and because I've been vaccinated with BCG, I had the quantiferon test done, which was also positive. My CXR was negative.

So, I will contact my program but also wanted to see what kind of experience you had, if you had any, of course. My main worry is, will l be allowed to start the residency on time provided I have a negative CXR?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

So, I just did a pre-residency check-up in my home country ( Non US-IMG here) just to make sure that everything was in order, but of course, it was not. I had a positive PPD test and because I've been vaccinated with BCG, I had the quantiferon test done, which was also positive. My CXR was negative.

So, I will contact my program but also wanted to see what kind of experience you had, if you had any, of course. My main worry is, will l be allowed to start the residency on time provided I have a negative CXR?

Thanks in advance

Cxr negative will probably save you. You may need inh therapy for months….

Last edited:
Opt for four months of rifampin or see if you can’t get DOT at your hospitals ID clinic s with inh and rifapentine over 12 weeks