Portable monocular indirect ophthalmoscopic technique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience using a 30D lens with a decent penlight instead of a BIO headset as described below? :thumbup: or :thumbdown: ?

Am J Ophthalmol. 1975 Jan;79(1):151-2.
A portable monocular indirect ophthalmoscopic technique.
Sislowitz MJ.

A simple, inexpensive, and portable method of monocular indirect ophthalmoscopy is used as the physician's examining eye is aligned in the axis of the patient's eye, a flashlight is held against the examiner's malar area beneath the dominant eye, and the beam of the flashlight is directed to the patient's eye. A plus 30 lens is then interposed 1 or 2 inches in front of the patient's eye and the fundus viewed.

Members don't see this ad.

Andrew_Doan said:
I'll give it a try next week.

Dr. Doan,

A halogen directo ophthalmoscope with either a 20D or 30D condensing lens also works well "in a pinch".

Richard

Members don't see this ad :)
dk23 said:
Anyone have experience using a 30D lens with a decent penlight instead of a BIO headset as described below? :thumbup: or :thumbdown: ?

Am J Ophthalmol. 1975 Jan;79(1):151-2.
A portable monocular indirect ophthalmoscopic technique.
Sislowitz MJ.

A simple, inexpensive, and portable method of monocular indirect ophthalmoscopy is used as the physician's examining eye is aligned in the axis of the patient's eye, a flashlight is held against the examiner's malar area beneath the dominant eye, and the beam of the flashlight is directed to the patient's eye. A plus 30 lens is then interposed 1 or 2 inches in front of the patient's eye and the fundus viewed.

I used this in a pinch on a young (no media opacity) patient. 20D lens and rotten disposable penlight. It worked remarkably well.

Hope to try this soon, I hope it will give good fundus view becos I am aphakic without an IOL implant, it's longstanding, but I have been doing ophthalmoscopy without kissing my patients :idea: this will help me when I examine the OS. :thumbup: