Portable DFE/Exams on-location

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verycherry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a first-year student working on a health promotions project. I am wondering how plausible it is to perform dilated fundus exams on-location. Like say I want to bring the exam to an underserved population in an isolated location -- is there actually such thing as a portable exam lane or something comparable? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, carry your loose lenses (trial lenses), you can use that instead of a phoropter. There are manual autorefractors of various qualities. There are loose prisms or prism bars. There are manual slitlamps, tonopens (to take the pressure). Ophthalmoscope and BIO should take care of fundus exam.
Take your proparacaine and DFE drops. That should take care of everything.

verycherry said:
Hi, I'm a first-year student working on a health promotions project. I am wondering how plausible it is to perform dilated fundus exams on-location. Like say I want to bring the exam to an underserved population in an isolated location -- is there actually such thing as a portable exam lane or something comparable? Thanks.

I'm supposing you're tallking about just the fundus examination. Why are you just concentrating on just that? Are you also considering the refractive portion as well as the anterior segment or just the fundus? Or do you really mean a variation of the anterior and poster segments as well as refraction.