Popular urology procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omarsaleh66

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that robotic surgery is too slow and now prostate surgeries are done with lasers and take only minutes. Any thoughts?

Also, what are some of the latest breakthroughs in urology in terms of procedures?

If there are any good urology websites that I can get this information, that would be awesome, and it would be cool if some of u urology peeps can shed ur knowledge.

later

Members don't see this ad.

Robotic surgery may be slower but it is probably one of the most popular fellowships right now. It is new, cutting edge technology. patients are staring to ask for it because it is minimally invasive. It is used for prostate cancer cases mainly. The lasers are used in prostate ablation, when the patient has BPH. Lasers are also being developed and used for ureteral and renal tumors, all through scopes. Other techniques include microwave therapy and cryoablation (freezing). There is still a need for the big open surgeries, but many of them can now also be done using minimally invasive techniques.
go to urologymatch.com, it's a better resource for those interested in GU. They have a links page too.

thanks alot for your input. I'll defintly check out that link.

later
Omar