*poor* UG GPA, great grad gpa, good mcat.... SMP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeddyBoomBoom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all... I'm looking for some advice:

I have a crappy undergrad gpa (~2.5 ish) from semesters of failing out years ago due a total and complete lack of direction. Due to loads of credits, I am not a good candidate for a post bacc to raise UG gpa.

However, I have done well for the past few years, and am in the middle of a legitimate MS graduate program in molecular biology. I have been successful, and am in the running for a 3.8+ grad gpa with at LEAST one publication on cutting edge genetic research.

I have also recently taken the MCAT and received a 33 (9,14,10).. yes, I know that's a weird breakdown, lol.

My next 12-18 months will involve shadowing & volunteering while i continue to teach undergrad bio lab classes.

To me, a 33 MCAT, great grad gpa, but poor UG gpa just screams SMP.

What are your thoughts?

~Ted

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are that your GPA will automatically get you screened out at 99% of schools out there. A human being will never see your application due to this.

As far as I can tell, graduate GPA doesn't play that much into your application and probably doesn't get factored into the algorithm that screens applications. Your best bet is to somehow get that GPA above a 3.0.

Retake science courses you did bad in and take advantage of DO grade replacement.

Retake science courses you did bad in and take advantage of DO grade replacement.
Yup, just hitting the 3.0 mark should be enough for many D.O. programs. An SMP is way too much of a gamble.