Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
buttercookie, when where u interviewed????

Members don't see this ad :)
Heads up folks, PSM plans to increase tuition hard core!

Non-PR Resident Tuition (not including fees, ~$3,000)**
(the first number is from the year 2009-2010, the second is the number including the increase for 2010-2011, and the third is how the the increase is)

2009-2010

Proposed 2010-2011

$$$ Increase

Percent

1st Year

$30, 292.89

$33,625.11

+$3,332.22

+11%

2nd Year

$30,860.33

$34,254.97

+$3,394.64

+11%

3rd Year

$23,133.87

$34,254.97

+$11,121.10

+48%

4th Year

$22,589.18

$34,254.97

+$11,665.79

+51%

PR Resident Tuition (not including fees, ~$3,000)**

2009-2010

Proposed 2010-2011

$$$ Increase

Percent Increase

1st Year

$20, 319.36

$22,554.49

$2,235.13

+11%

2nd Year

$20,706.04

$22,983.70

$2,277.66

+11%

3rd Year

$19,835.71

$22,983.70

$3,147.99

+16%

4th Year

$19,318.54

$22,983.70

$3,665.16

+19%

Hello! Anyone from the US mainland been invited for an interview yet??

Also, I was told that Ponce may be on probation right now... can anyone shed some light on the truth of this??

Gracias!

I just contacted the LCME secretary regarding this and she said that they have active LCME accreditation and there is "nothing to worry about".

Whether or not they are currently on probation or not, I do not know. She said to contact the school as she couldn't give me that information..

A 1st, 2nd or 3rd year student would be better fit to answer this question as I haven't called the school to ask them about it..

However, as far as I know they have never lost LCME accreditation since obtaining it in 1981.

I do know in the school catalog (http://tinyurl.com/PSM-06to09-Catalog) it states on page 15:

"Termination of an Academic Program"

"All students who are admitted to PSM will finish their degree as long as they complete the requisites for graduation. If for any reason, the School decides to close any program, every effort will be made to arrange for the students to finish their academic studies at the school or at another accredited institution. The process will follow the guidelines established by the P.R. Council on Higher Education."

Hope that helps.

Yes it's on probation, no we probably won't lose it, and yes we're covered even if we do.

Thank you guys for answering my question! Good luck to all of you!

PSM recently received a $19 million grant. The only medical school in Puerto Rico to ever receive such a big grant and it is among the nation's top awardees.

You can find more info here:

www.poncemedicine.com

or on the US Health Department Web.

Congratulations to those accepted and best of luck for the ones still waiting! :thumbup:

PSM recently received a $19 million grant. The only medical school in Puerto Rico to ever receive such a big grant and it is among the nation's top awardees.

You can find more info here:

www.poncemedicine.com

or on the US Health Department Web.

Congratulations to those accepted and best of luck for the ones still waiting! :thumbup:

That sounds great! I have no doubt that PSM is a great school and I have friends there studying too.

Congratz!

I had both my interviews. One in Spanish and one in English. They each lasted a little over an hour. Still waiting for a committee response. Anyone hear anything yet?

Hello everyone!

Mitsubishi Mirage 2001- White, 81K miles, automatic. Tinted windows, new tires, new front suspension, timing belt changed, all service records available (done at PepBoys). A/C. Very Good condition. Very reliable. Asking $4000

Message me if interested.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an acceptance notification! Gladys said the formal letter was sent out yesterday! :)

Hello everybody.
I have a question. I am not latino but I lived in a south american country for a while so i am more fluent in spanish. I am hoping to apply this comming year and before i do i wanted to know is are the classes given in english? The reason i ask that i would preffer it that way since all the steps and licensing will be in english. does anyone know if how are the classes like over there??

Could some of the mainland students who were accepted to PSM post their stats (MCAT/GPA/Volunteer hours, etc)? Thanks!

Were any fellow waitlisters out there able to find out what position they are in on the lista de alternos?

haven't found out anything yet. What about you? I'm trying to find out if the list has been moving or not.

I'm in the same spot as you guys. No news and no idea if there's been any movement :confused:

Les voy a marcar mañana.....I'll let you know what I find out.:xf:

sounds good, let us know. I sent an email today but didnt get a response. Ive been busy with graduation stuff so havent had a chance to call

Hoy hablé con Gladys y me dijo q todavía no hay ranking de la lista de alternos y q el comité de admisiones no se van a reunir hasta junio.

So I e-mailed the moderator and the PR schools are finally inlcuded on the 2010-2011 Application threads - all 4. This is great as it may dispel the myth that these are "Caribbean" (IMG) schools.

thanks for the update.

does the lack of ranking mean that the wait list hasn't started moving yet?

does anyone know anything about the ponce probation and tuition increase?

thanks for the update.

does the lack of ranking mean that the wait list hasn't started moving yet?

My understanding is that the adcom will meet in June to make selections and to rank the wait list. I'm assuming that there wouldn't be any movement until a ranking has been made. I have e-mailed Maria Colón to get a more definitive answer, but still haven't received any response.

If anyone hears any news, please keep us posted.

So you have been speaking with Maria Colón and Gladys Cintrón? I've only spoken with Gladys but maybe its worth a shot to e-mail Sra. Colón.

Do you mind private messaging me her email?

thanks

I was told by Ponce that the reason there has been no movement is because of the strikes going on in the public university system. Most of the students that usually would go to public school due to cheaper tuition are not going cause there is an acceptance freeze in the public system.

i thought that UPR already gave out all its acceptances already?

If the current dynamic of negotiations continues as it has until now, many days will pass before an accord to end the strike at the UPR’s Río Piedras campus, which entered its 31st day Sunday. Ten of the UPR’s 11 campuses are on strike, with university’s medical school being the only campus to remain operating because students there did not pass a strike vote.

http://www.prdailysun.com/index.php?page=news.article&id=1274669343

I'm wondering if there's no movement on the wait list at UPR because of this. Does anyone know if there is a final date that students accepted to Ponce must make a commitment to the school?

so i called today and they told me that the committee usually meets towards the end of June to rank the wait list. Sounds like there wont be any movement for about a month.

I asked if they could give us an idea of where (bottom, middle, top) on the waitlist we might stand and they told me that information doesn't exist yet.

:scared:

Last edited:
Ugh....not good. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Personally what I think its at right now is this...

1. No more interviews so you are either accepted, on the wait list, or rejected.

2. There is absolutely no movement that's going to happen until around the third week of June. I just think the committee is going to move multiple people from wait list to acceptance at once.

3. I don't think the strike is affecting the acceptance notifications from UPR med since the medical school was not part of the strike. I also don't think students from UPR college are being castigated by medical school admissions for not having graduating yet due to the strike.

4. If there is any effects from the strikes on wait list movement that its being counter balanced by the probation and tuition increase at ponce.

5. A lot of people applied this year and the class isn't full but its near full and for there to be considerable waitlist movement many people who already paid a deposit to hold a seat at ponce are going to have to lose their deposit and pick other schools.

6. There is nothing that can be done to speed anything up.

7. This wait is going to be a headache.

**I think we should concentrate our efforts about finding out details on how much space is left in the class...an actual number rather than (very little).

Last edited:
I think you guys are mixing up different information. The UPR university is in a general strike (10 out of 11 campuses), the only one that voted against joining the strike was the UPR Medical Sciences Campus where I currently study medicine. The fact that the UPR system is on strike has no effect on students applying to the Ponce School of Medicine, unless you are a student of the UPR system.

BUT, the Ponce School of Medicine has already decided that they will take in accepted students from the UPR even though they haven't completed their degree. They will give them a special arrangement so that they can finish their degree afterward (maybe in the summer between 1st and 2nd year).

And also, the UPR Medical Sciences Campus (RCM in spanish) has also conceded the students the opportunity to finish their degrees, so people that were accepted will NOT be affected by the strike.

I hope this post clears up some of the misconceptions in this thread.

Just withdrew here so hopefully someone on the wait list gets my spot! Good luck! :xf::luck:

Did u get into GW? Congrats and thanks for the open spot

Never thought I'd be able to say it, but I'm going to be a doctor!!!

CAN'T BELIEVE IT

yup...got accepted to Ponce. Still on the WL at GW, but I'm THRILLED about Ponce. I've been bugging the admissions office so they must be pretty happy they won't be receiving my nagging phone calls any longer! lol

I think the adcom is meeting this week:xf:

Any recent news about the huelga at UPR?

Hi everyone. Congratulations on all those who were accepted so far :)
I have a few questions I' hoping to get answered. I'm a Canadian really interested in Ponce. Do you know if there are international students who have been accepted this year or in the past. Also, is the interview in Spanish? What sorts of experiences have helped you to become fluent in the language if it isn't your first language? I've taken spanish classes throughout my undergrad and have completed "advanced spanish". I've also traveled through South America for 6 months and can live the daily life immersed in the language. I think that would qualify me as being "fluent in the language. I am however nervous about doing an interview in spanish if the time would come and possibly learning medical classes in spanish? Is this normal nerves?

Has anyone new been accepted? I'm still optimistically waiting :xf:

Nope. still no word.

anyone with news about the waitlist?

Hola! I received an email saying I was waitlisted. I saw that there is a facebook group for those students who have already been accepted. I was wondering if you could tell me how many members are on the group so far. Perhaps that would help us (the ones waitlisted) to do the math and sort out how many seats seem to be available.

Gracias