Ponce and UCC 2008-2009 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mxenriq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think any thread for the 2013 Ponce or U. Central del Caribe hopefuls has been started so far, so I wanted to get it going... (this may belong in the pre-allo forum but I thought it might get noticed here)

For me, progress has been slow so far and I'm guessing interviews/acceptances probably won't really get rolling until spring for the Puerto Rican schools. Thoughts? Has anyone heard back anything yet???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think any thread for the 2013 Ponce or U. Central del Caribe hopefuls has been started so far, so I wanted to get it going... (this may belong in the pre-allo forum but I thought it might get noticed here)

For me, progress has been slow so far and I'm guessing interviews/acceptances probably won't really get rolling until spring for the Puerto Rican schools. Thoughts? Has anyone heard back anything yet???

Ponce, SJB started to offer interviews 1 month ago. UCC will offer interviews on January and recinto began 1 week ago.

Ponce, SJB started to offer interviews 1 month ago. UCC will offer interviews on January and recinto began 1 week ago.

Gracias, al3ck. Ya te entrevistaron? What do you think of the schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll send you a PM.

hola ....i have an interview in Ponce this Thursday (Dec 4). Does anyone have any advice? Was it in English or Spanish? Essay? Group? Gracias :)

I applied to PSM and RCM and already have been interviewed by both. I was accepted at both but decided to go to RCM since it is cheaper, and I get other benefits for having immediate family members working for the UPR system. Regardless, I can answer questions about interviews for both schools if anyone has them. Good luck and good day.

Hi, I have an interview at Ponce on January 12 and I would like to have some feedback to see how do I prepare for it, also how long did it take for you to find out about your acceptance. Another question UPR told me that they are not interviewing on that week that they start on the 18 to give them a call on the 9th to see if they could schedule me for an interview do you think that is because I am not a PR resident although I will be because y permanent resident is in PR is just I am in Miami finishing my BS? Thanks in advance for your help

It depends. Ponce does interviews in either of two ways, group, or individual. In my case, I got two individual interviews one right after the other. My first interview was with a biochemistry professor whose first name was Wilfredo. The guy was very revolutionary, and spent most of the interview asking me about society and medicine, and its implications. Stuff about the puertorican reform of health, why it is in place, etc. He asked me the typical "Name 3 important people and why" etc.

Afterwards, I was interviewed by Jose Torres, who is a pretty laid back guy. The interview was mostly centered on me, why I wanted to be a doctor, etc. He asked me one ethical question, and spoke about how the interview was to get the admissions committee to know more about the "Things that can't be written on the application". Overall, very laid back.

My Rio Piedras interview however was even easier than Ponce. I was interviewed by a lady whose name escapes me at the moment. She mentioned she was a first year basic science's professor. She sat down and said "So, tell me more about yourself, why you came to be interested in medicine and all that, from the very beginning", and she just kept striking up conversation as she went. That was it. No details to memorize, no nothing. Just tried to gauge me as a person and how well I would do in their school. Really really laid back, lasted about an hour, and they sent me on my way.

I wouldn't know if they are holding you back or anything. I don't know much about their system at all. I personally was accepted fairly quickly at both. I was interviewed in Rio Piedras the day before thanksgiving and my acceptance letter was received the 17th of December or so. Ponce interviewed me a week earlier, and their response came back the 22nd of December, so I'd say they're both pretty quick.

One thing though, it's mentioned on their website they accept people from Puerto Rico, or those who demonstrate "Strong ties to Puerto Rico", and their requisites are posted on their site. I have no idea how the system works beyond that. Regardless, good luck on both of your applications. Keep me posted, I don't know of anyone going to either those schools yet.

Thanks you so much, when he asked you about the "three important people" did he meant from Puerto Rico or just important people to you, in your life? I also have interviews at San Juan Bautista and UCC that same week. Also is the rate of acceptance high for those who are interviewed? Again thanks for your help and I will definetely keep you posted since I also do not know of anyone so far going there.

When they said three important people they meant just that. They don't have to be from Puerto Rico, more like globaly, but well known people. For example, I mentioned my father, but the interviewer said he had to know who I was talking about. So, historical figures or whatever would probably be best.

They also may ask about important world events and whatnot. Hell, one of the interviewers asked me if I had seen the documental "sicko", and was pleased that I had seen it, so you might as well watch it. It's pretty good, and it covers lots of topics that might show up in the interview in one way or another. One last thing though is, if you don't know the answer don't try to BS your way out of it. I had to simply say "I don't know" a few times in both interviews. Apart from that, I remember looking up something in google about common questions for med school interviews...interestingly enough in Ponce a lot of the repertoire was from a list I found online, so I wasn't caught too off guard. Remember to not rehearse your answers so much that they sound mechanical, though.

As far as acceptance rates? I have no idea, honestly. Getting interviewed is a great start. I heard RUMORS that if you get called for an individual interview in Ponce it's cause they're heavily considering you. I was accepted, and I did get individual interviews, so who knows. If you made it to the interview you passed the initial "screening", so you've just gotta convince THEM, perse. At least PSM and RCM don't waste time with accepting students, they let you know if you're in in a short time, or if you're dragged to the next acceptance committee meeting.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Thank you so much for your help, I just finished watching the documentary and it was very good. Again thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hey Telamir, congratulations on getting accepted at both PSM and RCM. I applied for both of those schools, and didn't even bother applying form UCC or SJB. I recently interviewed for PSM (Jan. 12) by Jose Soto, and I agree he was very laid back which was good because I felt relaxed throughout the interview. Let's see what happens at my interview with the people of RCM the next week.

Hey Telamir, I had my interview at Ponce on Jan 12, thank you so much for your help. It went really good, at first I got a gentleman wich I cannot remember his name at the moment, but he was very nice and laid back. Then I got a lady who's name was Mrs. Galan she was also nice. I believe the committee is meeting on the 20th of this month, so I will let you know by then. Again thank you so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Miguel, congrats on getting the interview at PSM. Mine was the same day as yours at 10am. I hope that you get accepted at your school of preference!

Hey did they tell you when the comittee was meeting or by when will they notify us of a decision?

A friend of mine was interviewed today and was told that they are meeting this week. So we should know in two weeks approximately. Does anyone know what is the rate of acceptance once you have been interviewed?

Yes, it is my first choice. Is it yours too?

Hello! Wow, it's been a while since I've been here, I assumed that this thread was pretty much dead. I'm glad my advice helped some of you out there. I've finished sending out all the stuff RCM asks of you once you're admitted recently. Regardless, if anyone has any more questions I could help with, post them, I'll check this thread periodically. If you're studying in the same university as me...send me a PM, I'm going to be stuck with you for the next 4 years, I might as well get to know you now, eh? =)

Hello! Wow, it's been a while since I've been here, I assumed that this thread was pretty much dead. I'm glad my advice helped some of you out there. I've finished sending out all the stuff RCM asks of you once you're admitted recently. Regardless, if anyone has any more questions I could help with, post them, I'll check this thread periodically. If you're studying in the same university as me...send me a PM, I'm going to be stuck with you for the next 4 years, I might as well get to know you now, eh? =)

Are you a man? or a woman?

Ha,ha, ha... that question is priceless. Random fact: every med school I know in PR tries to have a 1:1 ratio between males and females every year.

Nice to know, since that is not the case in the mainland. You usually see more men than women in med school.

I just got my snail mail letter today- I'm in at UCC!!!! For those wondering- I interviewed 1/16/09 and acceptance came today, 2/2/09. I'm going to be a doctor!!! Now I'm waiting to hear from Ponce and SJB, so we'll see! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congratulations, yo tenia entrevista ese mismo dia y llegue una hora tarde:( Me la cambiaron para este mes...

Last edited:
wow, congrats 2 to everyone getting interviews. i havent gotten any interviews because i didnt get enough on the mcat. I just took the mcat on 1-31-09. Hopefully i did good this time. Do u think i still have timee to get an interview if i did good on the mcat, even ill know my score until march 3rd.Hopefully i do.im getting worried now. it seems everyone is getting interviews and i wont get a chance to get one. Do people that take the mcat in january have the same opportunity or what????

I just found out I have been accepted:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I am so happy

Congrats Elizabeth!!! I told you not to worry- so now we have 1 down, 2 to go!!! Tito- for anyone entering into the Aug 09 class, Im pretty sure the last MCAT date acceptable was the Sept 08 one. Look on the bright side alek- you always have SJB!

Congrats Elizabeth!!! I told you not to worry- so now we have 1 down, 2 to go!!! Tito- for anyone entering into the Aug 09 class, Im pretty sure the last MCAT date acceptable was the Sept 08 one. Look on the bright side alek- you always have SJB!

Thank you, I know I am sure we will get into both!!!

Congratulations Elizabeth. I also got accepted at PSM but still waiting for RCM! We might be classmates :).

Tito, PSM accepts 2009 MCAT's even if you want to start on '09. Call the school counselor and tell them that you retook the MCAT so that they can reconsider your application. Good luck with that.

Congratulations Elizabeth. I also got accepted at PSM but still waiting for RCM! We might be classmates :).

Tito, PSM accepts 2009 MCAT's even if you want to start on '09. Call the school counselor and tell them that you retook the MCAT so that they can reconsider your application. Good luck with that.

Hey, thanks I still do not know about Ponce, they told me that even if I interviewed on January my file wont be reviewed until the end of this month because I am not from Puerto Rico. But I have been accepted to UCC already which is great, now is just a matter of waiting for Ponce's decision.

This thread needs to be moved to the Allopathic forum. Puerto Rican schools are just like US schools not the offshore type that the Caribbean Forum covers

Hey all fellow UCC'ers! If you've been accepted and/or attending- I've created a thread for us in the Allopathic Class threads forum. Join us!

Hey... Does anyone know the statistics of the steps (USMLE) in Ponce and the UCC? I got accepted in both of them but I don't know which one to choose. Thank you in advance...:)