POLL: Taking DAT immediately after prerequisite courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you advise taking the DAT immediately after taking the prerequisite courses

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

averageasian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a poll advising on whether to study for the DAT immediately after taking the prerequisite courses (Gen chem, organic, biology 1+2).

If you respond ''No", please share your thoughts.

Thanks for participating in this, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I voted no because a lot of the bio questions when I took the DAT were around the topics that I learned in my upper division biology classes like genetics and physiology. But depends on the person and how they retain information, if they can recall information well, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I voted no because a lot of the bio questions when I took the DAT were around the topics that I learned in my upper division biology classes like genetics and physiology. But depends on the person and how they retain information, if they can recall information well, etc.
absolutely true. I remember i got a genetics question that i only knew bc i learned it in class and not from any DAT study materials. i guess it really depends on the person

Members don't see this ad :)
Voted No because Anatomy & Physiology isn’t a prerequisite for almost all schools and you need a solid background on it before the DAT.

It really doesn't matter when you take your exam. You can take it after the pre-req and do great and you can take it after taking multiple upper science classes and do great. With the preparation material out there, I think you have everything you need to do well.

Reactions: 4 users
I did it after taking a bunch of upper-level science courses. I think it's helpful to have more classes under your belt just because it familiarizes you with biology/chemistry in general. Even classes that are beyond the scope of the DAT (physical chem) were useful for me. For instance, when I was reviewing gen chem for the DAT, I knew most topics in more depth than was required. There wasn't really any re-learning that I had to do to study for the DAT (for gen chem).

Although there is information on the DAT from upper bio classes like genetics and physiology, it is not the majority of the information in the biology section and you can easily cover it via Feralis notes, a couple YouTube videos, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally thought it was a great idea for me to take the DAT right after Orgo. It was fresh in my mind and therefore needed very little studying for that section, which allowed me to focus on other areas of the exam.

I said no bc the first time I took the DAT it was right after my prereqs. The second time I had taken cell bio, biochem, microbio, and many more classes. When I went back to take it for the second time it was not necessarily the content of these courses that helped me, it was the study skills I acquired in answering DAT style questions in my various classes that helped me score more points. To give you an idea I got a 16 my first time and 21 my second. I know this might not apply to everyone, but it was my experience.

Voted Yes - the prerequisite courses cover 90% of the info on the DAT, the rest (upper division bio) you can teach yourself. It would be more advantageous to take the exam after your prereqs than delay in order to learn 10% more info.

Reactions: 6 users
great input everyone.

Personally, I took the DaT right after sophomore year, having taken gen chem, orgo, bio 1/2, and genetics and cell Molec bio. Bio was certainly the hardest section as it had the Most material and it was my lowest score (19). I think taking it right after orgo allowed me to Focus on other stuff Bc I know relearning orgo would have been an absolute pain. Upper level bios certainly help but in my case bio just wasn’t my strongest section.

I’m trying to see what people think so I can better advise people who plan on taking the DAT

I think it helps to have the upper level courses, but I think like @lifeofpablo that you can teach yourself the extras. I personally had no upper level courses and hadn’t taken orgo 2 but did fine. Its helpful but not imperative.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote yes because you need to have the prereqs fresh in your mind to have the best chance. Yea you will learn some things that might be useful from upper levels but most of that stuff you will learn in your prep. sidenote i never took A&P

I definitely also go with yes! Having them fresh in your mind goes a long way and minimizes a lot of the time you'd be using to review material. I say upper level bio classes are useful but they can also be covered by doing Destroyer and Bootcamp problems.

I took it right after my sophomore year and scored very, very high, but I still regret it a bit. I voted no because I know I would have gotten at least 3 points higher on my bio section if I took it later, and I would have done just as well on gen chem/orgo. That's me though, and chemistry was never an issue for me. I think that higher level bio classes really helped me conceptualize what would otherwise be tons of facts. Either that or I just got a ton smarter in that one year. Who knows.

There is something to be said about taking it early so it's possible to retake in time for applications, though.

I vote yes. If I could go back, I would have taken the DAT the summer after sophomore year. With all of the available resources it is very easy to teach yourself concepts you may be weak in. I had never taken physiology in my life but was able to teach myself all of the content required for the DAT in less than a week. If you take the DAT sophomore year after you just finish your pre reqs, you can truly really focus on the rest of your application and focus more on things like research, shadowing, leadership, etc.

I vote yes. If I could go back, I would have taken the DAT the summer after sophomore year. With all of the available resources it is very easy to teach yourself concepts you may be weak in. I had never taken physiology in my life but was able to teach myself all of the content required for the DAT in less than a week. If you take the DAT sophomore year after you just finish your pre reqs, you can truly really focus on the rest of your application and focus more on things like research, shadowing, leadership, etc.
thank you. also killer score bro! get ready for those interviews.

Yes. As long as you take orgo 2 and genetics, you can definitely take it after your second year. I didn't take any anatomy and physiology until after my DAT and got 20 on bio, without really knowing much AnP. Bootcamp helps a lot with this.

Yes. My lowest score was a 21 in Bio, which would not have been higher due to the classes I have taken my junior year. My Highest scores were 29 GC and 26 OC, which I contribute in part to having finished these classes sooner, rather than if I had taken the test this summer (after my junior year). As long as you have physiology, you should be good.

I voted no because I’m not sure if immediately included proper time for preparation. If it does include a month or two to study, then yes. After finishing the prerequisites you still need to target study for the DAT.

If you have just finished your prerequisites and scored well, then I think doing Ari’s study schedule before taking the DAT would help you get a competitive DAT score.

No point rushing the test without proper preparation.

Yes. My lowest score was a 21 in Bio, which would not have been higher due to the classes I have taken my junior year. My Highest scores were 29 GC and 26 OC, which I contribute in part to having finished these classes sooner, rather than if I had taken the test this summer (after my junior year). As long as you have physiology, you should be good.
excellent scores! and you did the smart thing by taking it sophomore year; you're going to able to submit ASAP and chill out. I took the DAT sophomore year and it made the app submission very stress free. I had more time to focus on supp apps and having fun. also, your DAT score will probably already be visible on aadsas by the time you add your dentpin to the app.