Poll: Should there be an option to take MCAT section tests separately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SWIITPEA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the real test, do you think that we should be given the option to take one section of the MCAT instead of the entire test if we wish to retake? It probably isn’t going to happen anytime soon, if at all, but wouldn’t it be great for students with section scores all over the place have a better shot at having great stats or would it be unfair since he/she wouldn’t feel as much fatigue as those taking the full test?

Say someone really messed up on two sections but did great on two like so:
505 with:
129 Chem/phys (~90%ile)
121 CARS (~15%ile)
131 Bio/biochem (~99%ile)
124 Psych/soc (~40%ile)
Instead of taking the entire 230-question test again, the student can retake the 53-question CARS and 59-question Psych sections separately but on the same day (first CARS then Psych to mimic the full test as closely as possible). What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to properly compare section scores across ALL students.

Imagine you get a 130-130-130-127. Great score right? Except there's gonna be those takers who get that, and then go "I bet I can 130 in JUST P/S". So they study for 1 month pure P/S, come in, knock it out FRESH, and then walk away with a 130, making their score a 520 overall.

It sounds great, until it doesn't. Because now everyone will be matriculating with 515+, outliers are now the norm, and then the curves get worse, and it gets harder and harder to be competitive.

Or it goes the other way, where you either are an amazing one-and-done scorer, or a "repeater" who needs near perfect scores to be competitive.

I personally see a similar situation/problem with the SAT Super Scoring (which is almost what you are describing). If I was in high school right now, I'd just sign up for 2 test dates, and focus on one section for each exam, get my 1500/1600 Super Score, and not sweat it.