Poll: How many actually BUY textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you buy (and use) all required textbooks?

• Yes, and I recommend you do the same!

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Yes, and they're still in MINT condition

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • No, and I wish I had purchased the texts

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No, and I didn't need 'em after all

Votes: 25 36.2%

• Total voters

amy2003uva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current MS's: Did you follow the book lists and purchase all of the required texts for each semester, or did you do well by only buying First Aid/NMS/High Yield and a few select books?

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

didn't buy all of them... our class had a survey put together by the year ahead of us, and we did the same, I bought most of the books that over 50% of the students the year ahead of me bought and used and found that worked well. I'd ask some of the students in the class the year ahead of you...

i bought every book andmore. i did not attend one class however and read them all. i have always hated class and learned nothing from listening. peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what review books do you guys like the best? Overall Step 1 review books as well as individual subject books. High Yield, NMS, etc...

amy2003uva said:
Also, what review books do you guys like the best? Overall Step 1 review books as well as individual subject books. High Yield, NMS, etc...

You know, if you check out the Step 1 forum, you'll find a bunch of posts where people list their favorite review books.

Talk to 3rd year students. 2nd year students are psychotic and will go on for hours about what books to buy or not buy... they need time to age and become smooth like a fine scotch.

I think it varies from school to school. In most of my classes I primariy used the reviews recommended by "first aid". I bought about ten anatomy books and only used one. I bought a neuro book because even though High-Yield is great, it doesn't have enough detail. I also like the Lippincott Biochem review.

amy2003uva said:
Current MS's: Did you follow the book lists and purchase all of the required texts for each semester, or did you do well by only buying First Aid/NMS/High Yield and a few select books?

tinkerbelle said:
You know, if you check out the Step 1 forum, you'll find a bunch of posts where people list their favorite review books.

thanks - that helped a lot.

Supadupafly said:
Talk to 3rd year students. 2nd year students are psychotic and will go on for hours about what books to buy or not buy... they need time to age and become smooth like a fine scotch.

lol... nice, will do!

sidenote: it's funny how (in this highly unscientific poll) almost 80% say don't buy the books.

I bought some books, but took out a lot from my library. It helped save money! :) I would suggest this to everyone. Plus, you can see if you like the book first, then buy it.

I bought all the recommended books and more, then sold them on amazon....if you keep them clean you will get all your money back minus the 15% commision.

2nd year is much more textbook-friendly than first. I don't think first year textbooks are any good at all. None of them.

Hi there,
My second year "big sib" gave me all of the texts that I needed for first year complete with wonderful notes. She was awesome and I passed the stuff on to my little sib too. There are some texts that you just need to purchase because it is easier that relying on the library.

Some people used the library copies but found that pages were missing or people had highlighted them to the point that it was distracting. There were also some courses that you never wanted to purchase the text (Psychiatry) because you were never going to read it. This is were your "big sib" comes in handy.

I did purchase my Gross Anatomy text and ended up tearing out the pages as I went through the text. I used First Aid for USMLE Step I and Q-Bank so I didn't need a bunch of review books. I studied my notes and syllabi for class exams. I found that I really didn't need too much textbook reading but anything mentioned in the text, in the syllabus and in class was fair game for the exams.

The bottom line: You need to at least have access to the texts if there is assigned reading to be done. You might share a text with another student if the book is huge and you don't want the hassle of trying to get the library copy. Othewise, you may be able to buy a used book cheap and sell it once you are done. I ended up selling all of my textbooks once I was done with second year.

njbmd :)

amy2003uva said:

hi ,

actually in my school depend mainly on hand- out written by the doctors...

but we also use text books.... the most important ones are snell- anatomy >> keith moore for more reading ..

==========

dear ...

we need the text book after graduation as refferances..... but during studyiny in da med school >>>>> i dont think so :rolleyes:

caio :)