[POLL] Font size on the real deal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarizer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are five different font setups of e-mcat free test 3. Please, vote for the text style (font, lines per screen,etc.) that looks the most like what you saw on your real MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL. Man people really think of the weirdest **** to freak out about for the mcat. There was a thread not long ago worried about the monitor size. I was worried about a bunch of stuff before my MCAT, but font style most definitely wasn't one of them.

Chill out man. Its not going to affect your performance. In the time it took for you to create those and upload them you could have practiced a few extra verbal passages which would have been of more benefit to you.

Besides, those all look the same to me.

Well, I figure the more you are familiar with the test style the better you can adapt to it ahead of time. And no all 5 are different, 1st one is default 1024/768 and the other ones are progressively lareger font.

I voted, if it will help you, but personally I feel that its better to be able to adapt to all kinds of situations. In the real MCAT there is bound to be something that goes wrong- for instance my monitor flickered the whole time. In my opinion its better to get used to different things so that you won't be thrown off if its not exactly like you expected. Like if, say, they change the font size for your test date ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I actualy lower the refresh rate on my monitor to 60 Hz when I do the test. Yeah, the areas not in your visual focus flicker, but I got used to that. You can never be too prepared.

Well, I actualy lower the refresh rate on my monitor to 60 Hz when I do the test. Yeah, the areas not in your visual focus flicker, but I got used to that. You can never be too prepared.

Can you send me a picture? I'm gonna print it out and tape it under "neurotic" in my dictionary.

And if you really wanna prepare for taking the test, at least in NYC, get someone to sit outside your house and blast their car horn for four hours straight.

Can you send me a picture? I'm gonna print it out and tape it under "neurotic" in my dictionary.

And if you really wanna prepare for taking the test, at least in NYC, get someone to sit outside your house and blast their car horn for four hours straight.

don't they give you headphones? ZOMG what if the headphones give me a headache?!??! should I take practice tests with a headache JUST in case?!?!
Oh man, I should've done this sooner!!!! maybe I'll postpone my test date so I can practice taking the test with a headache.

don't they give you headphones? ZOMG what if the headphones give me a headache?!??! should I take practice tests with a headache JUST in case?!?!
Oh man, I should've done this sooner!!!! maybe I'll postpone my test date so I can practice taking the test with a headache.

Forget the headache. What about if a homocidial gunman busts into your testing center and starts shooting off an AK-47? You shouldn't walk into the mcat unless you can perform under gunfire.

Well I never thought the font size would be a problem but I am more interested how the verbal reasoning passages appear. If I can setup practice tests to be exactly like the real thing, I can gage passage length more accurately and manage my time more wisely.

By the way,
do you know the story about the grasshopper and the ant? No? Well, all summer long the ant has been preparing for the winter and the grasshopper sat in the sun and laughed at the ant as he struggled in the burning sun. The grasshopper clearly thought the ant was paranoid and acting extremely irrational. However, once the winter came, the ant sat by his warm fireplace eating the delicious bread crumbs which he stashed away during the summer, while looking at the frosty site of a Snowhopper on his front porch. The end.

:D

wow, and I thought I was freaking out over this test.
There are actually people so neurotic that they would actually start a thread regarding font size.
Man, some pre-med kids scare the heck out of me.

do you know the story about the grasshopper and the ant? No? Well, all summer long the ant has been preparing for the winter and the grasshopper sat in the sun and laughed at the ant as he struggled in the burning sun. The grasshopper clearly thought the ant was paranoid and acting extremely irrational. However, once the winter came, the ant sat by his warm fireplace eating the delicious bread crumbs which he stashed away during the summer, while looking at the frosty site of a Snowhopper on his front porch. The end.

That's not the way Bug's Life ends! What version did you watch?

By the way,

:D

Do you REALLY want to be that ant? I mean, what a jerk! The least he could've done is invited that poor grasshopper in so that he doesn't freeze out in the cold. Are you telling me you want to sink to the level of that ant?

Well I never thought the font size would be a problem but I am more interested how the verbal reasoning passages appear. If I can setup practice tests to be exactly like the real thing, I can gage passage length more accurately and manage my time more wisely.

What if the passages are in ****ing manderin?!?! ARE YOU GOING TO BE READY?!?! I'M GOING TO MAKE THE REST OF MY POSTS IN THIS SIZE FONT SO YOU'LL BE PREPARED IN CASE THE VERBAL SECTION HAS A FONT LIKE THIS.

If you are this crazy about font sizes, how crazy do you think you will be when you have to perform your first medical procedure? Just calm down, they won't do anything extreme, like big or small sizes.

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess being a stickler for detail is really my biggest weakness. However, in some medical fields of medicine, it just might be of some benefit. BTW, no need for the immaturity and gunman calling and all that other Grade 3 jazz. 'preciate it :)