POLL: Does your school tape lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does you Vet School record lectures for the class?

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first time creating a poll, not sure if it is going to work - Hope is does

Reason for this is I want to try and convince the SCHOOL to video tape and or audio record the lectures, and knowing how prevalent it is in other schools may help.

I've even talked to about 50% of the class, and am thinking about taking up a collectiton and buying a good video camera - so if you chipped in the $10.00 you will be on the mailing list for the attachments. I dunno - I just can't both keep notes and listen at the same time equally well, and think it would help.

So, if you don't mind, take a poll (if you click yes, perhaps you can also say what Vet school you go to?)

Thanks!

Does your school video tape lectures for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school video tape lectures for you?

I'm going to throw this out there and say that it takes a lot more than just a video camera to come up with good recordings of lectures.

This is based on my 4 years of experience recording and doing post production of lectures for a distance education program.

I see that you go to MSU....is that Michigan State or Mississippi State? If you go to Michigan State.... I just wanted to let you know that we actually do tape the lectures, but not in the classroom that you are in for the first semester of your first year in Fee Hall. Once you get to the main building next semester in G-150 they have something called Camtasia that makes a video and audio of all the lectures and you can relisten to them in Angel--it's amazing and so glad we have it but unfortunately they haven't carried that over to Fee yet. If you go to Mississippi then ignore my post :D

Members don't see this ad :)
We ask the professors to record lectures using Camtasia, and for the most part they do. If you don't know, its a program that allows you to capture the screen and also the microphone and save the lectures individually. Some professors will not allow us to lecture capture, however, as they see it as an excuse to miss class.

The school won't record lecture for us but have no objections to us doing it ourselves. One of my classmates uses a smart pen that records her notes and the audio and she can click on a point in her notes and it will jump to then in the audio.

I just take notes in class....

We get audio recordings of our lectures posted to the class website. I very rarely listen to them, but some people can't live without them. No video, although I have heard we have the capability to do it.

We ask the professors to record lectures using Camtasia, and for the most part they do. If you don't know, its a program that allows you to capture the screen and also the microphone and save the lectures individually. Some professors will not allow us to lecture capture, however, as they see it as an excuse to miss class.

Mizzou does something similar, and it's also at the discretion of each professor. Some of them record the lectures religiously, others do it when they remember to record before they begin the actual lecture, and others won't touch the stuff. A lot of my classmates just bring voice recorders and record the lectures themselves to make sure that they don't miss anything if one of the regulars forgets to record one day, but whether or not you can do that is obviously up to the professors, as well.

I clicked yes and then saw that BobDog had already posted... we go to the same school so that's probably going to mess up the results.

We don't record lectures, but students may with permission of the instructor. Our profs do provide their PPT's and such on line, and we have some 'notes' for some classes. So far the profs have been agreeable to audio recording.

Wisconsin doesn't, however, this may be changing in the very near future...

They are just trying to finish working out the final technology issues with it. I guess they have a primitive lecture system, except the audio quality was so poor, it wasn't worth having the captured lectures. The new system should have great audio (for what I've been told).

Davis does podcasts of lectures! :)

Davis does podcasts of lectures! :)

Yep. Audio, though, no video. (I'm not sure if audio only is implied in the term podcast, so thought I'd clarify for anyone who wasn't sure.)

Wisconsin just got the technology. It will start being used on Monday.

elefante--I was psychic :D (Well maybe, not so much. I was told about it when the logistics were being beaten out).

Now, it's up to the individual professor if they want the lectures to be taped. They can decline, but I'm hoping they'll upload them. Would be nice to be able to review confusing notes in the future.

Ugh, if I had to listen to some of my lectures more than once, I'd shoot myself.

That being said, I don't think we record at Va-Md, or it we do I am not aware of it.

At murdoch almost all our lectures are recorded - except for fourth year, when we learn all of our medicine and surgery theory. The reason they refuse to in fourth year is because they may talk about actual cases within the lecture, and by recording them it may result in the details becoming accessable to the wider public - unlikely, as you have to log in with your student ID to hear them, but it could still happen.

Thanks for all the feedback!

It doesn't look as if recording lectures is as common as I thought it would be. It doesn't look like there has been a lot of movement via the university to embrase the technology - guess I will have to 'old school' with my Ipod.

I've asked and nearly everyone (except during reviews (for/prior to exams)) have allowed me to record - and dozens of people ask for copies.

For me - the ability to listen to a recording (or select classes) is a huge study aid (it also keeps me engaged for 45 min - which is something I have trouble doing when there is no text book).

Thanks again for your feed back - ill repost if anything ever changes.