All Branch Topic (ABT) Politics & Religion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Connollyr

ROCK!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to rant at me if this is a ridiculous thread. I'm considering joining the army through HPSP but I am concerned that my family and I may not fit well in military culture due to our political and religious views. We are not religious whatsoever and in many ways we are more liberal than most liberals. My wife is a journalist with MSNBC. I am particularly worried that she may struggle to make friends in the community every time we have to move. I hope you will all call me crazy for bringing this up but if it is a problem I would rather know before I take the scholarship. Please give me some honesty. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical corps culture is a lot different than the "real" Army's culture. There are still plenty of conservative, religious physicians in the Army, but they generally don't prosthelytize in my experience. Whether conservative or liberal, just be prepared to ignore the occasional politically-charged comment that you take umbrage with and you'll be fine.

Regarding your wife, the expectation of medical corps officers' spouses is basically zero. That's more true if the spouse is also a professional, so it's not like she'll be hosting afternoon tea for the CO's wife (yes, they do that). Except for those that I've gotten to know socially, I couldn't even tell you what my colleagues' spouses do for a living, much less their politics.

This is very reassuring. Thanks for the quick response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good rule for life in and out of the military: keep your religion and politics out of the workplace.

Also: ignore comments that are contrary to your viewpoints.

In today's day and age, it's all too easy to run afoul of someone touchy and wind up facing an EEO complaint.

That being said, you'd be surprised at the diversity of viewpoints within the military.

Also, nobody cares about your spouse's job or political affiliation. Don't sweat it. Keeping an open mind and learning to enjoy the company of people from a wide variety of backgrounds (rich/poor, conservative/liberal, christian/agnostic/muslim, etc) will make it easier for your wife to make friends every time you move. In smaller commands, there's often a physician's spouse's club. It's definitely NOT required or even expected for her to attend or participate. However, if you go overseas, it can be a great source of support or camaraderie for her (this was my wife's experience).

Another great response. Thanks for helping to put me at ease about this. I'm sure I'm just jittery seeing how big of a commitment I'm looking at and how little I really know about what life in the military will be like.

The only thing I will caution you about is that dual, high demand careers can sometimes have difficulty. This has more to do with you maybe getting stationed in the middle of nowhere for a few years and hurting her career. It doesn't mean you can't make it work, just realize there may be difficulties.

In my experience, the majority in the military is right-leaning and religious. I am agnostic and tend to be pretty liberal myself (big Bill Maher fan). That said, some of my greatest friendships in the military have been with actively religous people and conservatives. Often, we have much more in common than we do differences. I think politicians intentionally try to create a spuriously contentious and antagonistic culture in order to rally their base. Some people really feed off that and can become insufferably obnoxious about politics. But most people in the military are good about being discrete with their religious and political views. I have to say that though it's uncommon, when I do hear politically touchy statements, it usually comes from conservatives. But I think the reason is that they are consciously or subconsciously aware that many people around them in the military think like they do, and so they feel more free to be outspoken. On the other hand, I think the liberal minded people can be equally annoying, but they don't tend to be as outspoken in the military since they're in the minority. However, it would probably be the reverse scenario if you were a conservative at Berkeley. In general though, I don't see it as a major issue.

I once had a patient who was a self-described "Wiccan-Buddhist." He also had a major personality disorder and had an addiction to S&M, and ended up getting Ad Sep'd out of the Navy, but the point is that you might be surprised at the amount of diversity in the military. I'm sure you'll find plenty of great people to associate with, on both sides of the aisle. There many other more profound reasons that should weigh in on your decision to do HPSP, but I know you don't want to rehash those.
Good luck with whatever you chose.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much everyone. This thread has put one of my fears to rest. And don't worry, I am doing my due diligence as far as far as HPSP is concerned. I'm in no rush.

Most in the military including the medical corp are on the conservative side. However, in all the places I've been stationed politics never really was an issue. People (other active duty physicians) were fairly cordial. The toughest part that one person alluded to is your wife's career. There is a really decent chance of being stationed in the middle of no-where. Many professional dependent spouses end up just doing child-rearing for 2-3 years.