Political differences with classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d22anon

Reaction score
Debated on whether to post this, I really don’t want to start an argument. I know people are hurting and have reached their breaking point (with good reason!) but curious to see if anyone has a similar perspective/any thoughts.

I am a 3rd year student at a dental school in a major metropolitan area. Like most other cities recently, there was a well attended BLM march this past weekend that was very peaceful and well run (ignoring the whole social distancing thing…but that’s another topic). Unfortunately, like many others, it ended in rioting and looting. More than a couple cops hospitalized, cop cars destroyed, and dozens of stores ransacked. I am a libertarian-leaning young adult who has always been anti-militarization of police and very aware of the racial inequality within the justice system. I was in full support of the march like just about everyone else but was disheartened to see the destruction that followed committed by a very small percentage of the original protestors and most likely out-of-staters who traveled to the city specifically to riot. However, what really shocked me was seeing on almost every form of social media fellow classmates of all races supporting not just the protests, but also the violent acts that followed in our own city and around the country.

Somehow, seemingly overnight, people (especially from my generation) believe that if even if you are for the protest, but against the rioting and not donating to a bail fund, you’re a closeted racist who has no understanding of your own white privilege. (This is also the mostly the same group of people who were very against the COVID state re-opening peaceful protests that have been happening)

Currently we are all doing online classes, so I don’t see any of my classmates but I feel that when we are reunited later this summer when clinic resumes it will be difficult rekindling friendships and camaraderie when I know that if they ever found out what I really think on the matter it would be apparently diametrically opposed to their viewpoints. I’m also starting to think that when I enter the dental field as a dentist, I will find out that most of my colleagues are mostly extremely left-leaning. Any hope out there in the real world or will I have to accept that I’ll spend the rest of my education and working career surrounded by people where I can’t speak my actual thoughts for fear of being ostracized?

Members don't see this ad.

No one really needs to have political thoughts at work. Just be a good dentist

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
No one really needs to have political thoughts at work. Just be a good dentist
Totally agree. At the end of the day who cares. Graduate and move on with your life.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone has their own politics with a twist. As long as people are different, there will be differences. Accepting that is the best closure you’re going to get. If you’re a person who wants to advocate for equal rights of minorities, do it. Be careful about bringing your politics into work and school though. As long as you can work with someone and both parties foster mutual respect, do your dentistry and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you from experience that politics can honestly bring out the worst in people and in my class throughout the four years tensions ran pretty damn high in particular times of the year...I won't get into details but I can tell you that keeping to yourself, keeping your nose down, treat everyone with respect as you would like to be treated and graduate is what you need to focus on. In school you are there to learn and become a competent dentist when you graduate and possibly move onto further training and/or specialize. So do that and enjoy the four years because they went by very quickly for me.

To echo everyone on here. No need to bring politics into the workplace. During dental school I had patients that would bring up politics, religion and other social issues in my dental chair, often times their opinion was opposite of my own. I just hit them with the “wow” or “yeah man, that’s crazy”. I let them be heard but in my mind I’m just thinking “are you going to accept this treatment plan or naw?”

As long as you can maintain a professional relationship with your patient and your appointments stay productive you won’t have a problem.

Reactions: 14 users
This is something I'm struggling with too. When people say "keep political views outside work," that seems difficult since I have classmates on my social platforms. Are most of you staying silent? Or avoiding social media until the protests are over? I want to show support for my black friends because I strongly feel that fighting for basic human rights is not political.

So, when some are you are faced with other colleagues with opposing viewpoints, can you explain your thought process when it comes to accepting them?

Or avoiding social media until the protests are over? I want to show support for my black friends because I strongly feel that fighting for basic human rights is not political.
Plenty of way to show your support without social media. Text, call, or speak to them directly. Walk in a protest. Put up a sign or flag outside your house. I personally don’t use social media for anything beyond seeing pictures and videos of friends, Endo stuff, and dogs. But to each their own. Don’t feel pressured to express yourself on a social media platform. Everyone is allowed to use it the way they want.

Reactions: 1 users
1591115931678.png

I am a very non-confrontational person and wanted to stay quiet on this issue. I do not want to talk about politics at all. But now are the people on the internet demanding me to speak up, otherwise they are saying that I am not fit to work as a healthcare professional?

View attachment 308671
I am a very non-confrontational person and wanted to stay quiet on this issue. I do not want to talk about politics at all. But now are the people on the internet demanding me to speak up, otherwise they are saying that I am not fit to work as a healthcare professional?
Who are “They”?
Unless they’re your state board they can’t tell you wether you’re fit to work as a healthcare professional or not. I’m assuming you already knew that though. As was stated earlier, it’s your social media platform. it’s your choice.

View attachment 308671
Anyone that ostracizes someone based on their stance or silence regarding this topic is a hypocrite. Ignore them on move on and strive to do what is right.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't have social media and I must say that life is so much simpler for me. I am unaware of most people's political leanings, and people aren't aware of mine. I wake up, worry about my life and things that matter to me, and go to sleep. I don't know Stacy's opinion of the President. I don't know that Jerry spent his life savings to travel to Bali. I don't know Aunt Karen's opinion of the civil unrest. I have no reason to respect anyone any more or any less, and working relationships are easy to maintain.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your head down and don't discuss politics at work or school. You're a libertarian.... most people will not agree with you in dental school because they're young and in the US youth tend to be politically left and homogeneous. As you progress in your career you will meet people of different ages that will have more varied political opinions.

Last edited:
Keep your head down and don't discuss politics at work or school. You're a libertarian.... most people will not agree with you in dental school because they're young and in the US youth tend to be politically left and homogeneous . As you progress in your career you will meet people of different ages that will have more varied political opinions.
^ 100%...I am a little older in dental school and my views have changed as I’ve grown up and have had real life experiences. However, it seems everyone or atleast the vast majority in my dental school think one way and I have yet to hear a single person voice any politically right sided concerns. I keep my political thoughts to myself because there is no need to cause any further divide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
^ 100%...I am a little older in dental school and my views have changed as I’ve grown up and have had real life experiences. However, it seems everyone or atleast the vast majority in my dental school think one way and I have yet to hear a single person voice any politically right sided concerns. I keep my political thoughts to myself because there is no need to cause any further divide.
And by “cause further divide” you mean state a reasonable opinion like an adult but trigger an unreasonable overreaction by those who cannot handle opposing views

but nonetheless, self preservation is still the appropriate course

Reactions: 12 users
View attachment 308671

My standard (and 100% true) answer to something like this, is as follows. As a dentist we fully understand that on the inside, we're all essentially exactly the same. We see that every day while working on our patients. Knowing that on the inside we're all the same, that is how I treat people, the same. If you ask me to acknowledge based on outside appearance alone, that we're all the same, aren't you in essence saying that we're not the same? We should all try and live our lives like a blind person, and that doesn't mean to be blind to something, that means that you have to use all of your other senses when you interact with someone, since you can't see what they look like

Reactions: 4 users
you'll likely work on patients with different political view points than your own. just nod your head and keep working. you're a dentist not a politician.

To OP, there are definitely others in your school who will support your views and maybe they are not willing to open up about it as it will "cause further divide". I have friends on both sides of the aisle, which helps me to find support on most issues (usually I don't discuss), which I believe is what OP is trying to get - a closure. I am furthest from talking about religion and politics, unless you are my best friend and who I share a lot with.

Anyone that ostracizes someone based on their stance or silence regarding this topic is a hypocrite. Ignore them on move on and strive to do what is right.

When I was in dental school the Student Body Leaders worked with administration to ban students from wearing MAGA hats to lecture; however, students would wear "I'm with her" pins to clinic without restriction. They were so bold in their political opinions that they posted photos of themselves to social media while they were at school, wearing white coats with school identification, and HRC garb.

EDIT: Just wanted to be clear that by HRC I mean Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Last edited:
The only thing about politics you need to remember is that you can vote yourself into communism, but you’ll have to shoot your way out.

Big Hoss

Could you please elaborate? That just sounds like military propaganda.

When I was in dental school the Student Body Leaders worked with administration to ban students from wearing MAGA hats to lecture; however, students would wear "I'm with her" pins to clinic without restriction. They were so bold in their political opinions that they posted photos of themselves to social media while they were at school, wearing white coats with school identification, and HRC garb.

Exactly what's going on in my school (as well as 99% of other higher education institutions in this country). Very hypocrite in my opinion.

Big Hoss

Big Hoss
The content America needs...

Basically, he's using the badly rep'd 20th Century communism, an ideology of a far-left economic structure(state-owned) under a far-right government structure(militarization, dictatorship, oppression, police-state), has a representation of voting "left-wing" as a consequence. Then adds a foundation site for victims of communism but wouldn't mention victims of far-right governments we had in other regions of the Americas and other continents.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Basically, he's using the badly rep'd 20th Century communism, an ideology of a far-left economic structure(state-owned) under a far-right government structure(militarization, dictatorship, oppression, police-state), has a representation of voting "left-wing" as a consequence. Then adds a foundation site for victims of communism but wouldn't mention victims of far-right governments we had in other regions of the Americas and other continents.
59EEAC73-E241-4199-AA88-F487DC3C504F.gif

Big Hoss

That’s far too common now-a-days

Debated on whether to post this, I really don’t want to start an argument. I know people are hurting and have reached their breaking point (with good reason!) but curious to see if anyone has a similar perspective/any thoughts.

I am a 3rd year student at a dental school in a major metropolitan area. Like most other cities recently, there was a well attended BLM march this past weekend that was very peaceful and well run (ignoring the whole social distancing thing…but that’s another topic). Unfortunately, like many others, it ended in rioting and looting. More than a couple cops hospitalized, cop cars destroyed, and dozens of stores ransacked. I am a libertarian-leaning young adult who has always been anti-militarization of police and very aware of the racial inequality within the justice system. I was in full support of the march like just about everyone else but was disheartened to see the destruction that followed committed by a very small percentage of the original protestors and most likely out-of-staters who traveled to the city specifically to riot. However, what really shocked me was seeing on almost every form of social media fellow classmates of all races supporting not just the protests, but also the violent acts that followed in our own city and around the country.

Somehow, seemingly overnight, people (especially from my generation) believe that if even if you are for the protest, but against the rioting and not donating to a bail fund, you’re a closeted racist who has no understanding of your own white privilege. (This is also the mostly the same group of people who were very against the COVID state re-opening peaceful protests that have been happening)

Currently we are all doing online classes, so I don’t see any of my classmates but I feel that when we are reunited later this summer when clinic resumes it will be difficult rekindling friendships and camaraderie when I know that if they ever found out what I really think on the matter it would be apparently diametrically opposed to their viewpoints. I’m also starting to think that when I enter the dental field as a dentist, I will find out that most of my colleagues are mostly extremely left-leaning. Any hope out there in the real world or will I have to accept that I’ll spend the rest of my education and working career surrounded by people where I can’t speak my actual thoughts for fear of being ostracized?
Don't talk about politics at work, it's a good way to poison your relationships regardless of your views or the career you have chosen

• Love
Just remember that many people will be as passionate and convinced that their views are 100% correct and if you don't align with their views that you are basically the second coming of the devil, as there are that believe in the common dental myths of "I have soft teeth" or "Fluoride will give me cancer" or "amalgam has caused me to get X (insert your favorite disease process)" or "my wisdom teeth made my front teeth crooked"

I would implore everyone to use one of the key skills that dental school teaches you, the ability to critically think, and use it in far more facets of your life than when say reading a dental journal article or trying to make sense of what a manufacturers rep may tell you is the latest and greatest dental material. We listen to what is said, we then look at the information behind what they're telling us, we then critically process that information and make our determination of the validity of it or not. It often takes one looking at multiple sources to see if the information infront of us is or isn't valid.

Processing the factual information is probably the "easier" part, adding in the often attached emotional component is where it can, and certainly does, get difficult when it comes to then being able to have a conversation when the viewpoints are different.

Reactions: 7 users
The only thing about politics you need to remember is that you can vote yourself into communism, but you’ll have to shoot your way out.

Big Hoss
My family suffered through communist Eastern Europe so can confirm.

Reactions: 7 users