Polish Neurosurgeon Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endodoc

Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All:

First off I am a endocrinologist in the US. My brother who is a MD, PhD with specialization in Adult and Ped Neuro SX from Poland.

He has recently moved to the US (Florida) from Poland. He also did 1 year training in the US.

He does not want to complete a US residency. He took his National Surgical Assistant exam and scored top 1%. It seen as though getting a break in the surgical assisting field is not as easy as we thought.

He speaks great English and is legal to work (green card in process).

I have reached out to my neurosurgery contacts here in South FL and thus far nothing.

Having a highly skill Neurosurgon sitting home and walking my dogs is not a great idea.... :)

I heard recently that intermstional BC Othros may sit for the boards in the US. Is this wishful thinking or is this possible?

What are his options? If anyone can help it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

To sit for the neurosurgery boards in the US he must complete residency in the US.

He, likely, can be licensed in the US (given one year of training and assuming he passed USMLE 1/2/3). Some centers, typically academic departments, sponsor foreign graduates and allow them to work in a clinical capacity. Generally though, without US or Canadian training you are not allowed to practice in the US.

Sorry for interrupting; neusu do you mean that he'd have to complete an entire 6-7 year nsx residency to practice here? Wow... I understand why it would be important, just the time commitment especially when you've already trained in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for interrupting; neusu do you mean that he'd have to complete an entire 6-7 year nsx residency to practice here? Wow... I understand why it would be important, just the time commitment especially when you've already trained in it.

That's the way it is for specialties in medicine. A few countries such as Canada, have special exceptions within the US. In some states, I believe a canadian neurosurgeon can get a license without repeating the entire residency.

To sit for the neurosurgery boards in the US he must complete residency in the US.

He, likely, can be licensed in the US (given one year of training and assuming he passed USMLE 1/2/3). Some centers, typically academic departments, sponsor foreign graduates and allow them to work in a clinical capacity. Generally though, without US or Canadian training you are not allowed to practice in the US.

He wants to utilize his background in other areas other then a MD if he cannot take the boards. No desire to do another residency. Maybe a fellowship if it could lead to a job long term.

Being a CSA he would do well if someone would give him a chance. In FL CSA's can bill for service through the attending MD.

He could do a Neurosurgery fellowship. I've heard of a Nsurgeon from Italy who completed a Neurocritical care fellowship and now attends in a NeuroICU in Miami (don't know if she also does OR). Also know of a surgeon from Brazil who completed a fellowship in a Midwest program and stayed there as a faculty. Know many other examples in non-neurosurgical escenarios.

Most Nsurgery fellowships are 1-2 years. I'd start with the ones that arent necessarily that popular (not spine). I hear there's a big necessity for neurosurgeons all over the place, so best case scenario he could find a job somewhere with not much competitors giving him trouble.

Not an expert, but my two cents.