poison control centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmpoke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone out there works in a poison control center or is interested in this area?

Members don't see this ad.

pharmpoke said:
just wondering if anyone out there works in a poison control center or is interested in this area?

I am quite interested in this field but I don't know much about it. I will be the new pharm.d. student this fall and I will learn more. I know one of our collaborator working in the poison control center and she is a pharm.d.
if you know more, please share the information

I love pharmacology/toxicology, but I don't plan on making a career out of it. Look on Half.com or Ebay for a good tox text and check it out. It's a lot of biochem, pharmacology and physiology. I have casarett & doull's and I find it outstanding for my needs. I think that I have an oppertunity to take a tox elective later this year (I'm done with my didactic work in November!). The University of Arizona has a great tox trivia website... I'll look for the link.

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/centers/apdic/toxtrivia1.shtml
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/centers/apdic/toxtrivia2.shtml

Enjoy... Use your powers for good, not evil. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a P-1 and work part time at the oklahoma pcc. we have 4 students who work here and i was just wondering if there are other students out there in the same situation. i doubt i will make a career of it, but i like it enough that i would consider filling in a few shifts here if i had some extra time when i get out of school.

pharmpoke said:
i'm a P-1 and work part time at the oklahoma pcc. we have 4 students who work here and i was just wondering if there are other students out there in the same situation. i doubt i will make a career of it, but i like it enough that i would consider filling in a few shifts here if i had some extra time when i get out of school.

Do you go to OUHSC? Sent you a private message because I don't want to hijack your subject.

I currently work in a poison center and have been doing so for the past 5 years. Although I have a B.S. in Biology, the clinical application of the educational experience at the poison center has increased my knowledge 200%. The poison center is one of the major reasons I decided to pursue Pharmacy as a career. It is a field in which very few Pharmacist decide to go into, however in the toxicology arena, the sky is the limit for a pharmacist. The PharmD that I work for who is also the Ass. Director is all that and more. She knows just as much as any MD toxicologist in the field if not more. As a matter of fact she trains the MD fellows and the residents in this area and is very well respected. If you are intersted in this field, go for it.

colarola said:
I currently work in a poison center and have been doing so for the past 5 years. Although I have a B.S. in Biology, the clinical application of the educational experience at the poison center has increased my knowledge 200%. The poison center is one of the major reasons I decided to pursue Pharmacy as a career. It is a field in which very few Pharmacist decide to go into, however in the toxicology arena, the sky is the limit for a pharmacist. The PharmD that I work for who is also the Ass. Director is all that and more. She knows just as much as any MD toxicologist in the field if not more. As a matter of fact she trains the MD fellows and the residents in this area and is very well respected. If you are intersted in this field, go for it.
Hi, I'm not very familiar with this field of pharmacy. How is your patient interaction at work? Is it mostly via phone? What kind of work do you do?...Thanks :)

sorry it took so long for me to reply... finals week and a quick trip to see the fam kept me pretty busy. i'm actually at the poison center now so you can see that i have enough leisure time to do this. here's a brief overview of what we do here: our staff includes both pharmacists and nurses and a few pharm students. people call here w/all sorts of questions about poisonings from mouse bait to toothpaste to overdose and suicide attempts. it's pretty interesting and i have learned SO much in the 6 months i've worked here. we answer the phones and take notes on the situation, do some calculations if necessary to determine if it's a toxic dose, look up info in micromedex and counsel the patient (or friend/relative who called) on what to do. if the situation is serious we tell them to visit an ER and we ask which one so we can call ahead and let them know who's coming, why, and our suggestions on treatment. it's a good job for now, but i'm not sure i would do it as a career. a lot of people working here, however, have worked out in other settings and are doing this now to settle down.