Podiatry vs Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franklin2350

Reaction score
I have currently looking into both podiatry and optometry and was wondering which career has the better outlook and return. Podiatry takes 4 years and then 3 years residency with job posting shows anywhere from 90k to 180k in salaries while optometry is 4 years and has an optional residency with job posting anywhere from 150-200k. It looks like both cost around 200k in tuition. I know with podiatry you can do surgery and optometry recently is having scope expansions across the states allowing some surgeries.

Members don't see this ad.

I have currently looking into both podiatry and optometry and was wondering which career has the better outlook and return. Podiatry takes 4 years and then 3 years residency with job posting shows anywhere from 90k to 180k in salaries while optometry is 4 years and has an optional residency with job posting anywhere from 150-200k. It looks like both cost around 200k in tuition. I know with podiatry you can do surgery and optometry recently is having scope expansions across the states allowing some surgeries.
Based on your post, optometry seems as a better alternative with less years of training and higher starting salaries. Idk how pods here can be helpful in comparing podiatry to optometryif we have experience only in one of the above options. Don't forget that 😉 there is also fellowship year after 3 years of residency for pods. Some believe it is a must.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

This sounds more like Dentistry than Optometry

Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds more like Dentistry than Optometry
I was looking around the NYC area. I am kinda unsure about podiatry because there aren't many job postings when compared to dentistry or optometry. Investing 7 years and an extra year with the possibility of making 100k is kinda of scary. Do you almost have to open your own practice to make a decent wage and take on more private practice loans? I like the field of podiatry more than optometry but the time investment and return kind of doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 1 user
I was looking around the NYC area. I am kinda unsure about podiatry because there aren't many job postings when compared to dentistry or optometry. Investing 7 years and an extra year with the possibility of making 100k is kinda of scary. Do you almost have to open your own practice to make a decent wage and take on more private practice loans? I like the field of podiatry more than optometry but the time investment and return kind of doesn't make sense.
This is a subject of much discussion on here.

Without even touching what I think are the negatives of the podiatry job market - is there any chance you haven't shadowed yet because to me these fields are so different that its hard to believe you could love both.

Reactions: 2 users
I have shadowed both, optometry a little more than pod. I personally like pod more and wouldn't mind going through with the length and rigor of pod if the job security was there which kinda makes me think of other alternatives.

Considered both and shadowed both. Applied to both.

Got so far as to study for OAT and had a complete OPTOMCAS application submitted.

Liked pod more, couldn't get it out of my head. At the end of the day it pushed me more in every category. I was looking strictly at what was the next hardest, most punishing thing I could do besides MD/DO. I didn't want to look back at myself 20 years down the line and say "What if....?". I did not want that question keeping me up at night. The day in day out of optometry wasn't stimulating enough. Their schooling is challenging- not a cake walk. They are over trained for what they end up doing in the real world.

Looking back it may have been a mistake in terms of debt to income ratio. Time will tell, but life is too f***ng short to spend 7 years in school only to come out to the current job market with 300k in debt. Thing is most graduate students don't realize the importance of the previous statement until they are in their mid 20s having wasted a third of it in school. No time to experience what the world has to offer, build long lasting relationships, work towards financial freedom.

I havn't even factored in wanting to own my own home, raise children and provide a better future for them, travel with my wife and give her all the things. You look at your debt accumulation and think "How tf will I realistically own a home or even raise a kid?". Pressure.

In terms of return rate- optometry is also getting saturated and most jobs are retail. An optometry "residency" will not change that.

If you are grasping at straws to be called a "doctor"- you need to reassess your goals and truly think for yourself. Both debt burdens, time, energy, emotional toll are not worth it just to be called "doctor".

If you are strictly looking for return- RN --> NP --> CRNA --> PA schools have significantly higher return for time involved with lesser training time required. Non health related fields may even provide a higher return rate.

Edit: If you are still wanting to be called a doctor-- pull up your big boy pants, work your ass off, and apply MD/DO. It will take everything you have then turn around and ask for more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
You cool with clipping toenails? Big, juicy, thick, crumbly, nails that explode into a cloud of dust when you crack into them with a powerful double action nail nipper?

hungry lick GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I am an Optometrist and my dad is a Podiatrist. Optometry is a great field which still has challenging patient cases throughout a regular day's work of routine exams. Its definitely not only glasses and contact lenses. A good base salary is $500-$600 a day and I see this number increasing with more medical treatment in the field. It is a relatively clean field in terms of patient treatment. Of course we get the occasional mucous pink eye or metallic foreign body cases but I see those as examples of interesting exams. School debt may be similar to Podiatry but once you graduate from Optometry school you'll most likely jump right into a job which pays > $120k compared to having to do Pod residency another 3 years. My main gripe with optometry is our "reliance" on vision insurances. These insurances such as VSP, EyeMed, and MES don't pay crap for exams. It takes 4 VSP exams to earn the same as 1 private paid exam! I hope that ODs in the near future decide to terminate contracts with these vision networks or that reimbursements increase but I don't see either happening. But you can research that independently to see the details and controversy for yourself.

I asked my dad if he had any advice for you. He has his own private practice and makes easily 3-4 x my salary. Theres more money in Podiatry and its still a profession you can do for 30+ years. He has also seen significant reduced reimbursement from medical insurances for surgical procedures so he stopped doing surgery years ago. He makes more money doing routine care than going to the surgery center for 1 operation.

I definitely see similarities between Opto and Pod. We both get to comfortably converse and develop relationships with patients which is rare for the medical field. Work is not strenuous and there is great work vs. life balance in both professions. You will find a job as an OD or DPM guaranteed. Both fields are still in demand and there may be even more employment opportunities as this generation of doctors continue to retire from their respective specialties.

Sorry for the long rant. Your post clearly made me feel some type of way haha especially considering my dad really wanted me to be a DPM like him. I am a young OD but I love my job. I never break a sweat and I rarely feel exhausted from work. I try to spend only 10-15 minutes per exam and I feel like I can still get to know my patients and I'm sure my patients do not feel short changed their experiences with me either. Even on my worst work day, I go home smiling to my family. Feel free to private message me with any other questions. Good luck on your journey!

Reactions: 9 users
We both get to comfortably converse and develop relationships with patients which is rare for the medical field.
Overrated! Pathology or Radiology where there's no (live) patient contact is the way to go. Anesthesiology where you can snow the patient, or dentistry where you can stick a rubber doohicky in their mouth is cool too.

JK, I love my patients. 😶

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
It's funny this post came up cause I was at the optomestrist the other day and we both were lamenting about how we screwed up going in our respective routes and she mentioned about how different states has different laws etc and she mentioned that our current state doesn't allow OD to work for corporate like Warby Parker, Lenscrafters etc and she had no choice but to be a 1099 and she hates it.

Overrated! Pathology or Radiology where there's no (live) patient contact is the way to go. Anesthesiology where you can snow the patient, or dentistry where you can stick a rubber doohicky in their mouth is cool too.

JK, I love my patients. 😶
I should have been a pathologist... zero patient contact. Sounds great!

Last edited:
  • Love
Optometry has a better job market than podiatry (what doesn't ?), but nothing like RN or PA. There are a couple states that are saturated and do their best to keep new practitioners away. It has much less income potential. It is one of the less stressful healthcare professions. Benefits and vacation etc are mediocre in most employment scenarios compared to hospitals etc, but again usually better than being a podiatry associate. Working Saturdays often and late one night during the week is not uncommon. You are kind of stuck doing better off than a typical podiatry associate, but less well off than almost any other podiatry employment or ownership situations. Lots of corporate employment, owners do usually do a bit better, but no where near the potential of podiatry ownerships…… no surgery center ownership, or as many shady ways to make money etc.

Not a bad profession, if you can keep debt low and go to a state supported school, but not all states even have schools and most graduate with a lot of debt. Very easy to wish you would had chosen a career with a better ROI in many cases also.

More are doing residencies (about 25% now) and working for ophthalmologists and the VA. Sort of like a much, much longer and much more expensive and no more lucrative way to become a “PA of the eye”. Some states do have a broader scope than others and a few are doing some laser surgery for a few conditions...."the TAR of the optometry profession".

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Optometry has a better job market than podiatry (what doesn't ?), but nothing like RN or PA. There are a couple states that are saturated and do their best to keep new practitioners away. It has much less income potential. It is one of the less stressful healthcare professions. Benefits and vacation etc are mediocre in most employment scenarios compared to hospitals etc, but again usually better than being a podiatry associate. Working Saturdays often and late one night during the week is not uncommon. You are kind of stuck doing better off than a typical podiatry associate, but less well off than almost any other podiatry employment or ownership situations. Lots of corporate employment, owners do usually do a bit better, but no where near the potential of podiatry ownerships…… no surgery center ownership, or as many shady ways to make money etc.

Not a bad profession, if you can keep debt low and go to a state supported school, but not all states even have schools and most graduate with a lot of debt. Very easy to wish you would had chosen a career with a better ROI in many cases also.

More are doing residencies (about 25% now) and working for ophthalmologists and the VA. Sort of like a much, much longer and much more expensive and no more lucrative way to become a “PA of the eye”. Some states do have a broader scope than others and a few are doing some laser surgery for a few conditions...."the TAR of the optometry profession".
TLDR: Pursue NP

Is there a specific reason why are there roughly 1k jobs for podiatry in the US while there are 8k for optometry and 13k for dentistry? Is it a lack of demand issue or just that patients don't need to see the pod as often.

Is there a specific reason why are there roughly 1k jobs for podiatry in the US while there are 8k for optometry and 13k for dentistry? Is it a lack of demand issue or just that patients don't need to see the pod as often.
Probably

It's because podiatry is such a hidden gem. Best kept secret in medicine.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
There are 1k podiatry jobs? ..healthdrive must really be expanding

Last edited:
  • Haha
Demand and supply issue.

How many people do you know need to see a foot doctor vs family medicine/PCP?

Podiatry is such a small profession that the job market is hard to understand until you are already in the profession.

Some say the jobs in this profession are all word of mouth so you won't see them posted online. True to an extent, but the majority do nit get jobs, especially good jobs this way.

There are not enough good jobs and good jobs never go unfilled in this profession even ones in undesirable locations other than maybe the most remote of Indian reservations.

Your best bet is to have a hometown connection in a non saturated market, be very geographically open for jobs.......or just work a less than good job for a few years and keep trying for the good jobs and open your own office if necessary.

more eyes than feet I think

Edit - 🦷>👁️>🦶

Last edited: