podiatry vs dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to say "I told you so", but more to point out that people in glass houses should be loathe to cast the 1st stone.

It was taken from <a href="http://www.pnf.org/dentistry.html" target="_blank">www.pnf.org/dentistry.html</a>

This article from the AHMA Journal is reprinted and edited for the purposes of this site by LaVar H. Riniker, DDS

Dentists today are concerned with our traditional model of crisis-driven, tooth-by-tooth, repair-oriented dentistry. I believe that this model of dentistry, which prevails in our society today, may be the downfall of dentistry as a profession, as we all were trained in the psychologically-repressive mode where our mental health was expendable (based on the fact that dentists have the highest suicide rate among health professionals, with psychiatrists a close second). How, then, can we turn this unhealthy model toward patient-centered dentistry, where the well-being of ourselves, as well as our patients is our number one concern?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not really part of this discussion...but I would be glad to tell you what my 3rd year medical school curriculum consisted of...

12 weeks hospital based Internal Med.
4 weeks FP (office)
4 weeks Gen Surg
4 weeks Orthopedic Surg
4 weeks Pediatrics/pediatric Emergency Med
4 weeks OB-GYN
4 weeks Psychiatry
4 weeks Emergency Medicine
4 weeks intensive board prep after 2nd year (step 1 is after your 2nd year and I find it improbable that there are ANY dental students in a 2nd year medical student class...2nd year is clinical prep and the test directly reflects that).
Hours are typically 10-11/day.

My 4th year was different...

4weeks step 2 board prep
4weeks Pediatric Emergency Med
8 weeks Adult Emergency Med
4 weeks Cardiology
4 weeks pulmonology/critical care
4 weeks Orthopedic Surg
4 weeks rural family med
2weeks radiology
2 weeks anesthesiology
4 weeks interviews/vacation
Hope that helps.

The way I see it, regardless of dental or podiatry...I respect you guys for your dedication to 4 years of graduate training(though I won't see you guys much in the hospital, I know when I will need you).

Concerning your quote from the AHMA Journal.

<a href="http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/nonrecorg.html" target="_blank">Check out this reference.</a>

I took a look at what you psted, and I noticed they did not give a reference for that information. So I checked into them a bit more. I certainly wouldn't give weight to something from this journal as I might if it were in JAMA or The Lancet. I like to read critically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly, I don't care whether or not dentists have the highest suicide rate among medical professionals. My intent was to point out the hypocrisy in accusing me of making things up when there is some evidence that points to DDS's having an unusually high suicide rate among medical professionals.

And, as I predicted, you've conveniently avoided answering my last post (with reference) which refutes your thinking of podiatry's clinical years. I even have a current medical student (DO student, Freeeedom) who chimed in with his clinical responsibilities in the 3rd and 4th years. According to what he's doing, you'd have to combine about 10 or 12 podiatry students to achieve that much clinical exposure.

And, by the way, my original post about the suicide rate among DDS's was "an unusually high suicide rate", which happens to be true in the majority of references you care to look up.

I really don't care about the supposedly high suicide rate either, except to point out that the sources you are referencing for it are bogus. The fact that it appears in some literature does not mean it is true. The "reference" you gave does not even refernce any other source for their information. Quoting secondary sources is very weak proof, especially when those sources do not provide references for their material.

I am not avoiding answering you previous questions. It is more a matter of limited time on my part. In addition to school (and studying), I have a part-time job and I am currently preparing for my Reserve duty this weekend. Frankly, I just don't have time to post longer replies.

I do not discount your experiences, I just do not believe that those are the same for all. In a way, I think we are both holding fast to what we percieve, though neither of us has a full picture.

I'll try to get around to a more complete post later. (It will probably be sometime next week though - I've got a busy weekend.)

Best wishes and glad tidings.

The person in that article says a few things that lower his credibility. He talks about removing toxic materials from the body (i.e. heavy metal containing fillings). No where in dentistry today is is acceptable to remove an amalgam filling soley for the reason of "detoxifying" the body. The person who wrote that article quotes something from "holistic" dentistry. C'mon...the person doesn't even reference his quotes. He just puts some vague references at the bottom of the article without and indication of which references supports which statement. Again, the myth that dentists have the highest suicide rate is not true. It is an "urban legend" that has been carried along unfounded. I have yet to see a retrospective review of suicides in the dental profession comparing them to other professions. It is simply something that we hear from other people and we accept it as true without proof.

DrMoon,
Trying not to be disrespectful, but it sounds like you have MD envy. You are constantly comparing DPM's to MD's and DO's and to some extent DDS's to DPM's, MD's, DO's. If you want to be an MD or DO, then that is great! Go for it. However, it sounds like you are upset that you graduated from DPM and you did not have a "general" medical license. DPM and DDS's have "specialized licenses. Regardless of what state regulations or current attitudes are....Dentistry and Podiatry are specialties of medicine. You cannot separate the oral cavity from the patient or you cannot separate the foot from the patient. Currently, the DPM's and DDS's education does not encompass a general medical education. We get enough education to perform our specialty. I do not see how a rotation in Ob/Gyn is going to be useful to a dentist/podiatrist, as well as a rotation in Urology, etc. There are some rotations that I have had that do benefit. Hem/Onc., Pediatrics, Anesthesiology, etc. It just so happens that some specialties evolved around medicine that "within" medicine. An Opthamologist is just as comparable to a DDS, or DPM. The only difference is that the Opthamologist received a traditional medical education. Did they really need it?? Do they use their Ob/Gyn experience??? Would you want an Opthamologist coding a patient in the ER??? Technically an Opthamologist can treat anything, however I bet you won't find Opthamologists treating orthapedic problems, or even hypertension. Even though hypertension or diabetes, etc can affect the eyes the opthamologist is going to refer the management of the management of the HTN or DM to the endocrinologist and internal med. docs. Maybe someday we will see the full intergration of DPM/DDS into medicine. A DDS/DPM chooses from the "get go" to limit their practice of medicine. If you want to practice family medicine then don't go to Podiatry or Dental school. If you want to limit your scope to the oral cavity/head and neck region don't go to medical school. I am not saying that there are not problems in every profession. I am sure that podiatry has its issues as well as dentistry AND medicine. They all have their problems. Everybody dogs everybody else. You should listen to the MD's dog each other. Surgeons regard Orthopods as the "dumb" surgeons. MD's dog DO's...DPM's dog each other...Perio dogs Oral Surgery...Orthodontists dog Pediatric Dentists....Orthopods dog Podiatrists....Everybody needs to put someone else down in order to make themselves feel better.

You seem to feel that DPM's/DDS's are not real doctors, but Opthamolgists or Dermatologists are simply because the Opth./Derm. went to medical school and did some COOL rotations. How often does the derm. use his/her Ob/Gyn experience?? I doubt if the derm./Opth. remember anything from half of the rotations they experienced. The derm./Opth./ENT/Neuro/etc. have all limited the scope of their practice. Much of their medical training was "wasted" time. It was just a rite of passage. Something they had to do to get where they wanted to go.

Again, I am not trying to start an argument with you. Just observing things you have said. I hope that if you do get into medical school you won't join in and start dogging everybody else. If you will feel better about yourself having an MD, then that is great!! However, I know that DDS's have what they need to practice their specialty. I cannot say anything about DPM's, but from what I have been reading it sounds like they get what they need to practice. I know you have opinions on that issue. Regardless of what other people say or what some people use to define Doctor/Physician, etc. Podiatrists and Dentists are just as much Doctors/Physicians as Opthamolgists, Dermatologists, Psychiatrists, etc. Just because one does not practice Primary Care does not mean one is not a Doctor/Physician. However, I know that legally the term Physician is applied differently, but I bet you understand my point.

Well stated.

JML1DDS,

Here here. Give that man a cigar. I don't think anybody could better palpate the current state of affairs or more correctly diagnose the problem.