Podiatry Residency Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnessa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a pre-podiatry student and I just wanted to get some clarity about the salary as a podiatry resident.
I tried to google search this information but I figured asking on SDN was going to be more accurate.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Is there anything like that for fresh podiatrist after resident in first one-three year? I was confident about Podiatry, but was very discourage that some paid only 70k, which looks like 3rd year resident in some program from this list. Sincerely

Welcome to podiatry, comrade.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I want you to think about this post every time you observe fungal DUST flying from the feet of each 65Y+ diabetic neuropathic patient that you nip as you make small talk about the local weather and politics. Never mind the interest ravenous $300K federal student loan balance, geriatric diabetic nail debridement, the absolute staple of Podiatry, (for me at least) totally makes the $70K sub-PA/NP salary worth it. Believe me, you will feel EXCELLENT. You will begin to get this joyful experience up close and personal just as soon as you move off to “clinicals” as a Podiatry student. Hope that helps boost your confidence a tincy bit! : )
This post is pretty standard SDN over the last year.

The regular posters: Cutswithfury, airbud, Dtrack, Feli, probably more all have good jobs. 200k+ I'm sure.

I have a great job. Im making bank. Year before covid I clocked in just under 400k. Worked like crazy but it paid. This last year a little less busy with covid but I still killed it.

My close DPM friends and prior coresidents all have good jobs. The people I was a coresident with are in hospital positions, MSG positions, and 1 partner in a PP.

The people who work in the community with me seem very happy and I know are doing very well financially. No bad blood between us. No trash talking. No stealing of patients. Were all as busy as we want to be.

Probem with podiatry is people take the easy route out, wait until the last 3 months of residency to start looking, and accept a job off pmnews that is going to pay 70k. Then they come on here and whine about it. Poor me attitudes.

Get out there and work for it. And DONT work for another DPM that is going to pay you 70k. If you take that job thats on you. Dont come on here and whine about it. Knock on some doors. Volunteer at the highschool football game. Talk to soccer moms. Its not that hard people.

This forum has become a dumpsterfire of negativity.

Rant over. Im out for the day.

Reactions: 15 users
Pretty much if you get a non-private practice job you will be getting paid well + good benefits.

I am <5 years out of residency and have already paid off my loans. I was frugal and didnt defer my loans, paying every month through residency (although my payments then were small... it adds up).

Resident salaries have and always will stink... barely enough to pay loan interest and live.

This post is pretty standard SDN over the last year.

The regular posters: Cutswithfury, airbud, Dtrack, Feli, probably more all have good jobs. 200k+ I'm sure.

I have a great job. Im making bank. Year before covid I clocked in just under 400k. Worked like crazy but it paid. This last year a little less busy with covid but I still killed it.

My close DPM friends and prior coresidents all have good jobs. The people I was a coresident with are in hospital positions, MSG positions, and 1 partner in a PP.

The people who work in the community with me seem very happy and I know are doing very well financially. No bad blood between us. No trash talking. No stealing of patients. Were all as busy as we want to be.

Probem with podiatry is people take the easy route out, wait until the last 3 months of residency to start looking, and accept a job off pmnews that is going to pay 70k. Then they come on here and whine about it. Poor me attitudes.

Get out there and work for it. And DONT work for another DPM that is going to pay you 70k. If you take that job thats on you. Dont come on here and whine about it. Knock on some doors. Volunteer at the highschool football game. Talk to soccer moms. Its not that hard people.

This forum has become a dumpsterfire of negativity.

Rant over. Im out for the day.

So basically don't join a private practice podiatry group?

Personally I think you, your friends, and prior coresidents are all quite lucky to have landed good jobs. Your one friend that actually became partner in a pod private practice group is a unicorn. How many residents graduate per year? 500+? How many hospital/ortho/MSG jobs are advertised at any given time? Maybe 10?

You don't think that maybe you're giving students/residents some false sense of hope? I know plenty of people that started their job search in 3rd year of residency and still ended up in crappy pod private practice jobs (both big and small groups)

I'm not trying to use any anecdotal evidence here. I'm a shareholder in a MSG. I wasted a year at a big pod private practice group being taken advantage of. The simple fact is that a majority of the jobs available are at pod private practice groups...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So basically don't join a private practice podiatry group?

Personally I think you, your friends, and prior coresidents are all quite lucky to have landed good jobs. Your one friend that actually became partner in a pod private practice group is a unicorn. How many residents graduate per year? 500+? How many hospital/ortho/MSG jobs are advertised at any given time? Maybe 10?

You don't think that maybe you're giving students/residents some false sense of hope? I know plenty of people that started their job search in 3rd year of residency and still ended up in crappy pod private practice jobs (both big and small groups)

I'm not trying to use any anecdotal evidence here. I'm a shareholder in a MSG. I wasted a year at a big pod private practice group being taken advantage of. The simple fact is that a majority of the jobs available are at pod private practice groups...
So dont join a 70k PP job. Start your own. People accept these 70k jobs then come on here to whine about it.

I started mid 2nd year looking for jobs. My entire 3rd year I had my current position.

Hint: Those jobs are not posted. You have to pick up the phone and send some emails.

Also those PP puppy mill jobs are pretty obvious to spot. You can look up how many associates they have had over the years.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope ill like working at the VA..you never know..and if not then ill continue applying to MSG, ortho and other VAs but i wouldnt accept anything less than 200.
Another option is to think of opening your own practice. The good thing about the VA is that you have no non-compete so you don't have to worry about opening a shop next door to the VA clinic if you choose to. I have some buddies who work at the VA doing 3 days a week, 12 hours shift, to get full time with benefits and they run their own private practice the other 2 days or even add Saturday hours. Can easily rent space from another doctor for your part-time gig.

It could be stressful but it all pays off. Good luck

Another option is to think of opening your own practice. The good thing about the VA is that you have no non-compete so you don't have to worry about opening a shop next door to the VA clinic if you choose to. I have some buddies who work at the VA doing 3 days a week, 12 hours shift, to get full time with benefits and they run their own private practice the other 2 days or even add Saturday hours. Can easily rent space from another doctor for your part-time gig.

It could be stressful but it all pays off. Good luck
Wow thats awesome… i didnt think we were allowed to work at other places if were at the VA? I was thinking about maybe adding a nursing home gig on the weekends but heard that i couldnt? Didnt look too hard into it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for a lot of replies! So, in conclusion what is most common salary for 1-3 years after residency? Let's say is it in general lower 100k, or it's around 150k?

My copy of the MGMA data 2015 (outdated) shows mean salary of a surgical DPM:
0-2..................................... none reported
3-7 years out................ $290, 758 with std dev 107,628
8-12 years out.............. $290,000 (odd that this is an even #) with std dev 74,411
13-17 years out........... $345,266 with std dev 119,215
18-22 years out............ Not reported
23+.................................... $375,411 with std dev 135,555

High standard deviations but comparing to orthopedics and just about every other profession in the same ballpark.

Members don't see this ad :)
My copy of the MGMA data 2015 (outdated) shows mean salary of a surgical DPM:
0-2..................................... none reported
3-7 years out................ $290, 758 with std dev 107,628
8-12 years out.............. $290,000 (odd that this is an even #) with std dev 74,411
13-17 years out........... $345,266 with std dev 119,215
18-22 years out............ Not reported
23+.................................... $375,411 with std dev 135,555

High standard deviations but comparing to orthopedics and just about every other profession in the same ballpark.

Someone posted the 2019 survey here below; there is another one from 2019 that I posted a while back (people need to use the search function more)

Pod MGMA 2019.png

Reactions: 1 users
I think a common mistake is waiting until your third year to apply for jobs. You should be searching your first year, then applying in your second year. In the third year, you should have something secured. My opinion at least...

I didn’t make more than $100k in a year the first 4 years out of residency. A large majority of podiatrists will make well under $200k for years after finishing residency.

I called every single hospital, ortho group, MSG in the area I wanted to live after residency. Nobody was interested. And it wasn’t me, because it’s not as if someone else got a job with any of those places, at least not in the year I was finishing residency. I’ve said this many times before, but good paying jobs are becoming common enough that if you are willing to live almost anywhere then you actually do have a good shot of getting one out of residency. But if your geography is limited for any reason, it becomes a total crapshoot and you are more likely to end up working for another podiatrist coming out of residency. The reality is that a majority of new grads still join podiatry groups. Some are treated fairly even in those types of jobs. Many aren’t. But for every “friend” or SDN poster you can name with a good job, I can name 3 others who are on job number 2 or 3 and still aren’t doing great financially.

Some folks who post here are overly negative. Some people make $400k and all their friends do too, and have jobs that pay in the top 25% of all hospital/msg employed podiatrists (who MGMA surveys). Which means some folks are equally unrealistic in the other direction. I’m just honest. The reality is that a majority of jobs still don’t pay well. But there are still an increasing number of jobs that do. Unlike dyk assumed, I’ve spent most of my career working for other podiatrists and getting ****e on (financially), and that’s the reality for a majority of new grads wether dyk wants to believe it or not. I still enjoy what I do, now that I get fair compensation for my work....

Reactions: 5 users
I didn’t make more than $100k in a year the first 4 years out of residency. A large majority of podiatrists will make well under $200k for years after finishing residency.

I called every single hospital, ortho group, MSG in the area I wanted to live after residency. Nobody was interested. And it wasn’t me, because it’s not as if someone else got a job with any of those places, at least not in the year I was finishing residency. I’ve said this many times before, but good paying jobs are becoming common enough that if you are willing to live almost anywhere then you actually do have a good shot of getting one out of residency. But if your geography is limited for any reason, it becomes a total crapshoot and you are more likely to end up working for another podiatrist coming out of residency. The reality is that a majority of new grads still join podiatry groups. Some are treated fairly even in those types of jobs. Many aren’t. But for every “friend” or SDN poster you can name with a good job, I can name 3 others who are on job number 2 or 3 and still aren’t doing great financially.

Some folks who post here are overly negative. Some people make $400k and all their friends do too, and have jobs that pay in the top 25% of all hospital/msg employed podiatrists (who MGMA surveys). Which means some folks are equally unrealistic in the other direction. I’m just honest. The reality is that a majority of jobs still don’t pay well. But there are still an increasing number of jobs that do. Unlike dyk assumed, I’ve spent most of my career working for other podiatrists and getting ****e on (financially), and that’s the reality for a majority of new grads wether dyk wants to believe it or not. I still enjoy what I do, now that I get fair compensation for my work....
So why take that poor job and not open your own clinic? Thats what I ask. you can make 70k seeing a handful of patients a week as a new DPM starting out. Once the practice takes off the sky is the limit.

So why take that poor job and not open your own clinic? Thats what I ask. you can make 70k seeing a handful of patients a week as a new DPM starting out. Once the practice takes off the sky is the limit.

most residency graduates are not equipped to run an effective/efficient solo practice coming out of residency. Let’s pretend that they are though for the sake of discussion.

I, like many, didn’t have a strong desire to run my own practice. So I spent the end of my 2nd and all of my third year looking for an employed position (as you recommended). I had some interviews and a few positions that felt close to working out, but never materialized. So now it’s March, 3-4 months until finishing residency...and you think the individual who hasn’t ever wanted to start their own practice, is gonna open up shop in 6 months? As someone who did eventually start his own practice, want me to tell you how I know you’ve been employed your whole career? The only person who is opening up their own clinic right out of residency is someone who made the decision to do that within the first year of residency. That’s a tiny % of students/residents.

Again, I’ve said over and over that young podiatrists should avoid working for other podiatrists, and that should include a willingness to open your own practice. But you’re assumption/suggestion that it can just be done when your dream of being an employed, well paid podiatrist doesn’t work out while you’re a 3rd year resident is a dumb one. That means that most new grads are still going to take crappy podiatry associate jobs and spend a year or three doing that before they get the job they want or start their own practice. And let’s say they do open up their own practice, most of them are still going to spend a good 12-18 months not making much more than the podiatrist they used to work for was paying them. You’re still talking 4 years of underwhelming pay.

Now, let’s go back to the reality that few residents are equipped to open and run their own clinic right out of residency. Well, you can pay people to help you. You can pay credentialing companies, billing companies, hire an experienced office manager, maybe pay a consultant to make sure you are doing things in the right order and not forgetting something (because how would you know that you need to create an ABN to be signed by every patient you dispense DME). Don’t forget learning how commercial leases work, and furnishing your new office. Throw a couple hundred thousand in start-up loans on top of any student debt you might have. You’ll be lucky to be have a positive net worth 5 years from opening. And again, it is unlikely this is what you really wanted to do from the beginning. Maybe you end up loving it, but probably not.

I’m glad to be a part of your employed, well compensated podiatrist bubble now. But you’ve never actually lived outside of it. I at least get some entertainment out of the fact that a couple of the more vocal “open your own practice” folks around here (now that dyk has become one), have only ever been employed docs in a hospital/msg setting. I’m certainly in favor of people doing it, but there’s a reason you don’t see me telling everyone “well why didn’t you just open up your own practice?” Heybrother gets it, I’m sure. And I’m by no means complaining about my early career. I limited myself in geography and you can’t do that if you want a good shot at a well paying employed position. Again, unlike people on both ends of this pay scale discussion, I’m being realistic.

most residency graduates are not equipped to run an effective/efficient solo practice coming out of residency. Let’s pretend that they are though for the sake of discussion.

I, like many, didn’t have a strong desire to run my own practice. So I spent the end of my 2nd and all of my third year looking for an employed position (as you recommended). I had some interviews and a few positions that felt close to working out, but never materialized. So now it’s March, 3-4 months until finishing residency...and you think the individual who hasn’t ever wanted to start their own practice, is gonna open up shop in 6 months? As someone who did eventually start his own practice, want me to tell you how I know you’ve been employed your whole career? The only person who is opening up their own clinic right out of residency is someone who made the decision to do that within the first year of residency. That’s a tiny % of students/residents.

Again, I’ve said over and over that young podiatrists should avoid working for other podiatrists, and that should include a willingness to open your own practice. But you’re assumption/suggestion that it can just be done when your dream of being an employed, well paid podiatrist doesn’t work out while you’re a 3rd year resident is a dumb one. That means that most new grads are still going to take crappy podiatry associate jobs and spend a year or three doing that before they get the job they want or start their own practice. And let’s say they do open up their own practice, most of them are still going to spend a good 12-18 months not making much more than the podiatrist they used to work for was paying them. You’re still talking 4 years of underwhelming pay.

Now, let’s go back to the reality that few residents are equipped to open and run their own clinic right out of residency. Well, you can pay people to help you. You can pay credentialing companies, billing companies, hire an experienced office manager, maybe pay a consultant to make sure you are doing things in the right order and not forgetting something (because how would you know that you need to create an ABN to be signed by every patient you dispense DME). Don’t forget learning how commercial leases work, and furnishing your new office. Throw a couple hundred thousand in start-up loans on top of any student debt you might have. You’ll be lucky to be have a positive net worth 5 years from opening. And again, it is unlikely this is what you really wanted to do from the beginning. Maybe you end up loving it, but probably not.

I’m glad to be a part of your employed, well compensated podiatrist bubble now. But you’ve never actually lived outside of it. I at least get some entertainment out of the fact that a couple of the more vocal “open your own practice” folks around here (now that dyk has become one), have only ever been employed docs in a hospital/msg setting. I’m certainly in favor of people doing it, but there’s a reason you don’t see me telling everyone “well why didn’t you just open up your own practice?” Heybrother gets it, I’m sure. And I’m by no means complaining about my early career. I limited myself in geography and you can’t do that if you want a good shot at a well paying employed position. Again, unlike people on both ends of this pay scale discussion, I’m being realistic.
All good points

One thing though (which after I typed this i realized you somewhat commented on)... If youre limited to geographic location and cant be flexible I would still recommend reaching out to MSG/Hosp/Ortho. But if you wait until the end and the only region you can live in is bloomington indianna with no quality prospects available you really should have a back up plan. If your backup plan is take a 70k a year job then thats not a good plan. If anyone reading this knows that Saginaw Michigan is the only place you are going to practice/live then you should really look into a startup or buyout in addition to contacting the groups in the area.

I understand opening a practice would be a nightmare and would not be easy. I have no experience in it and it would be intimidating. But people do it. I am going to assume we all have class graduates we went to school with that went directly into new startup or at least a buyout situation (I know quite a few). You will lose money at the start when trying to figure out how to run the business. I lost money in my MSG not knowing how to bill at the beginning! But with time you will figure it out. And when you first start out you dont need an entire staff. You grow into that slowly. This subject has been discussed on here sometime in the last 6 months. I remember a good thread on it. And yes first couple years compensation will be less. But once you get it going you can bill out and make more than I am making in my MSG.

I distincly remember my coresident who went PP partnership spending time with our director towards the end learing the business side of running an office. I think he spent quite a bit of time with the office manager. Would be a smart thing to do if youre going private.

I think im being realistic on my end. I think your being realistic on your end. But push comes to shove if you accept a 70k job a year you are worth much more than that and everyone knows it. Dont take that job. Find something else. Go out of your comfort bubble and make it happen. I'm telling you the soccer mom thing works.

But once you get it going you can bill out and make more than I am making in my MSG.

Are you a partner/shareholder in your group? My group has XR/CT/MRI/Ultrasound/PT/Lab/Pharmacy/Surgery Center and this generates a significant amount of revenue as a shareholder. I would be surprised if any solo practice could beat this plus my own collections that I generate.

Are you a partner/shareholder in your group? My group has XR/CT/MRI/Ultrasound/PT/Lab/Pharmacy/Surgery Center and this generates a significant amount of revenue as a shareholder. I would be surprised if any solo practice could beat this plus my own collections that I generate.
I am a shareholder in the group but currently we only have Xray. I am the only surgical provider in the group so it doesnt make sense for them to have the others but with time I see this group growing and I could see this group expanding into ancillary services.

Your point is valid though. MSGs/hospitals do have a very high income potential. In the above statement I was referring to my personal situation.

@Creflo how is your cash only business doing? We havent heard from you in awhile.

Thank you all for your answers. They are very informative. A question out of curiosity, If you had the opportunity to go back in time, would you go to DO or Caribbean Med School instead of Podiatry? Sincerely

How much do Hospital Podiatrists (ie; Kaiser Permanente) in general make starting after residencies?? For me, good work-life balance and giving quality care is important but also >150K compensation would be appreciated post-residency

Thank you all for your answers. They are very informative. A question out of curiosity, If you had the opportunity to go back in time, would you go to DO or Caribbean Med School instead of Podiatry? Sincerely
Never Caribbean. DO maybe, but even then would have to fight for the specialty residencies I wanted. I’m happy with Podiatry and would do again.

Never Caribbean. Maybe DO, because I think there are a couple of specialties that I would have enjoyed and I now know that I would have done well enough in school amongst my DO classmates to get at least one of those residency programs. But with my current job I don’t have a desire to do something other than podiatry. I get to do the things I want and I’m paid well.

DO to do EM and then can travel and have a lifestyle that allows long breaks or the opportunity to pick up extra shifts and make money when you want. But that took me time and growth to realize that. I had stats to do DO pretty easy, but at the time I didn't want to risk being locked into a non op type job. By definition podiatry is a surgical specialty. So I said sure let's do that. Could have done Caribbean but married at the time and didn't see that as viable option. Was already a little older and didn't want to spend another year applying. That said Podiatry has been good to me. Have been Hospital employed and MSG employed never making less that 200k. Now I am with an Ortho group and will come close to doubling that this first year if I really push and am willing to keep driving to outreach.

Last edited:
Yeah I volunteered and then worked in an ED in undergrad. Wasn’t impressed. Now that I’ve been through school and residency, Emergency Med is one of those specialities I would have happily signed up for. Shift work, when you’re not on shift you have no work responsibilities, can be very low acuity (ie really easy work), pays well, if you want to go EM you can go EM and don’t have to worry about not getting a spot if you are a decent student...air bud is right.

Yeah I volunteered and then worked in an ED in undergrad. Wasn’t impressed. Now that I’ve been through school and residency, Emergency Med is one of those specialities I would have happily signed up for. Shift work, when you’re not on shift you have no work responsibilities, can be very low acuity (ie really easy work), pays well, if you want to go EM you can go EM and don’t have to worry about not getting a spot if you are a decent student...air bud is right.
In the coming years EM’s job market is going to look worse than ours (if that’s possible). The recent threads in their forum paint a grim picture.

In the coming years EM’s job market is going to look worse than ours (if that’s possible). The recent threads in their forum paint a grim picture.

I don’t doubt they are getting squeezed. As is anesthesia. But your post is pure hyperbole. There are full time EM job listings all over the country in far greater number on physician job sites than podiatry. None of them only pay $100-120k. Their job market is so much better off than ours even with encroaching mid levels

I don’t doubt they are getting squeezed. As is anesthesia. But your post is pure hyperbole. There are full time EM job listings all over the country in far greater number on physician job sites than podiatry. None of them only pay $100-120k. Their job market is so much better off than ours even with encroaching mid levels
Yeah private equity is just destroying e&m. I saw a recent thread where they were literally getting incentivized to not dispense pain medications and not do certain procedures

lol ok... but that's not the point of what I said. I was simply saying that far too many people (whether it be med, dental, pod, engineering, or baskin robbins) like to tell everyone to "just work hard" as if there's an infinite ceiling of volume (and $) to be had.
If youre in a dead end podiatry associate job busting your ass will not get you anywhere. If I was making 70-100k a year as a PP associate you better believe I would be busting my ass, but not at that position. I would be working hard to secure alternate employment.

Which is why I said open your own before working for another DPM or join a MSG/hospital/ortho if available to you.

See the above comments....

How much do Hospital Podiatrists (ie; Kaiser Permanente) in general make starting after residencies?? For me, good work-life balance and giving quality care is important but also >150K compensation would be appreciated post-residency

Dear HalluxSlicer

Finish school first. Focus on your studies. As DYK and others said over and over and over again, if you want the cheddar, then work your a** off for it.

Confused as to why being an associate at a PP is such a “bad thing” ... guess I’m screwed ..

Dear HalluxSlicer

Finish school first. Focus on your studies. As DYK and others said over and over and over again, if you want the cheddar, then work your a** off for it.

Not what I was looking for but thank you for your suggestion

You can PM me if you want. I looked into Podiatry extensively in my premed days and ended up picking DO
Regretting my decision on coming to Podiatry lol. I was waitlisted at a DO but should've waited and reapplied. Having done a Special Masters Program at a DO institution, I definitely see the difference in curriculum and know why MD/DO are hesitant to smoothly grant parity as a "physician".

Regretting my decision on coming to Podiatry lol. I was waitlisted at a DO but should've waited and reapplied. Having done a Special Masters Program at a DO institution, I definitely see the difference in curriculum and know why MD/DO are hesitant to smoothly grant parity as a "physician".
What year in school are you?

Keep your head up.

Done regret it based on what you read on here. Its become a pretty negative environment around here and never used to be that way.

And if you really just dont like it depending on how far along you are its time to cut losses. Life is short. Really short. Dont stay in a profession you dont like if you dont like the day to day life of it.

And for your Kaiser question I dont know the exact income but I believe its fixed. They split into surgical and non surgical. Surgical paid much more. If you want a Kaiser position you pretty much have to do a Kaiser residency with some exceptions to that rule.

What year in school are you?

class of 24

@HalluxSlicer your accepted MCAT at the time was well below the national range; but if you are truly unhappy about your current situation then give DO programs another try. That said, taking the MCAT again will def not be in your favor. Good luck!

You can tell people to "work hard and bust your ass off" but it won't magically create $200k+ jobs out of thin air. There's a finite number of those good gigs and it just means it will take more networking/etc to get one but it won't change the number.

This x 1 Bitcoin ( AND.........it's gone)

You can be @CutsWithFury reincarnated and gods gift to podiatry, but unless there is a job there waiting for you or you can create one with the local hospital/MSG in your desired location, you are SOL