Podiatry residency as MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanjmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this possible, as a medical doctor (IMG) to find a podiatry residency? It is what I have most interest in.

Members don't see this ad.

No it is not. you have to go to podiatry school then apply to a podiatry residency.

What about advanced standing at a school of podiatric medicine? It is a shame podiatry is separate from conventional medical specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about advanced standing at a school of podiatric medicine? It is a shame podiatry is separate from conventional medical specialties.

Its possible, but not likely. I know my school only accepts transfer credits if you got an A in that course. Not sure about other schools.

Also you would likely at a minimum have to do 2 years of clinical rotations.

It really can't hurt to call the schools and inquire directly though.

NYCPM does give advance standing you should contact them. I had one MD in my class who started my second year. He had to take all the classes not covered in MD school.

NYCPM definitely offers advanced standing to IMGs. You need to pass USMLE1 to be considered. Typically advanced standing will waive the first year of pod school.

NYCPM does give advance standing you should contact them. I had one MD in my class who started my second year. He had to take all the classes not covered in MD school.
US MD? or IMG?