Podiatrists in Hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucrs

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how common is it for Podiatrist to work in hospitals full time? are there a good amount of them in hospitals? what are the average salaries for them? and are most new graduates (after residency training) starting to work for large orthopedic clinics? i just wanted to know what direction the future of employement is moving towards. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The occurrence seems to be increasing in both the hospital and orthopedic clinics. The pay will vary but seems to be increasing as pods get more privileges, and as each individual shows that they are a valuable part of the practice/hospital.

I think in general private practice/multi-specialty groups are still the largest part of podiatric practices.

The occurrence seems to be increasing in both the hospital and orthopedic clinics. The pay will vary but seems to be increasing as pods get more privileges, and as each individual shows that they are a valuable part of the practice/hospital.

I think in general private practice/multi-specialty groups are still the largest part of podiatric practices.

I was just thinking about being able to pay off those school loans after graduation and residency training, because i think that opening your own private practice at the beginning will be real tough.

however, its good to see more pods in hospitals and ortho clinics, especially because im more interested in these types of settings. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to land a position in hospitals as of right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know. Your training will greatly affect this and so will the retirement of the baby boomers. I really can't tell you if you'll get a 200K entry level job after residency, but I will tell you if you are fiscally responsible you will pay off your loan and live a comfortable life.

how common is it for Podiatrist to work in hospitals full time? are there a good amount of them in hospitals? what are the average salaries for them? and are most new graduates (after residency training) starting to work for large orthopedic clinics? i just wanted to know what direction the future of employement is moving towards. thanks in advance.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by a Podiatrist working full time in a hospital. If you are referring to Podiatrists having privileges in the hospital, I think that many of the Podiatrists today have privileges at the hospital to see consults, admit patients, perform surgeries in the hospital OR, etc.... There are few Podiatrists that even take foot and ankle trauma call in hospitals. However, majority of these Podiatrists are either in solo private practice, Podiatry group practice, multi specialty group practice, or ortho groups. Some of these groups or solo practictioner may have offices in the hospital medical office complex. There are few Podiatrists that are hired by a health networks / hospitals, such as Kaiser Permanente, VA Hospitals, etc... Thess Podiatrists are paid by the hospital but they still see patients in practices or clinics in the hospital.

As for most graduates working for Ortho group after residency, this is still not very common. Majority of the Podiatry residency graduates are joining other Podiatry groups, multispecialty groups, or starting their own practices. There are some that do get to join an Orthopedic group and this will continue to increase over time. However, the percentage of grads working for an Ortho group will remain a small percentage as compare to working for a non Ortho group for the next couple of years. The opportunites are out there if one were to look for these opportunities. I just wanted to make sure that you understand that majority of the PM&S-36 residency grads will probably not work in an Ortho group. Remember, there are many successful Podiatrists out there that do not work in an Ortho group and are doing tons of reconstructive rearfoot surgeries.

All I can say about starting salaries is that it varies greatly. It depends on a multitude of factors.

I do not know. Your training will greatly affect this and so will the retirement of the baby boomers. I really can't tell you if you'll get a 200K entry level job after residency, but I will tell you if you are fiscally responsible you will pay off your loan and live a comfortable life.

Good point:thumbup:

I am not exactly sure what you mean by a Podiatrist working full time in a hospital. If you are referring to Podiatrists having privileges in the hospital, I think that many of the Podiatrists today have privileges at the hospital to see consults, admit patients, perform surgeries in the hospital OR, etc.... There are few Podiatrists that even take foot and ankle trauma call in hospitals. However, majority of these Podiatrists are either in solo private practice, Podiatry group practice, multi specialty group practice, or ortho groups. Some of these groups or solo practictioner may have offices in the hospital medical office complex. There are few Podiatrists that are hired by a health networks / hospitals, such as Kaiser Permanente, VA Hospitals, etc... Thess Podiatrists are paid by the hospital but they still see patients in practices or clinics in the hospital.

As for most graduates working for Ortho group after residency, this is still not very common. Majority of the Podiatry residency graduates are joining other Podiatry groups, multispecialty groups, or starting their own practices. There are some that do get to join an Orthopedic group and this will continue to increase over time. However, the percentage of grads working for an Ortho group will remain a small percentage as compare to working for a non Ortho group for the next couple of years. The opportunites are out there if one were to look for these opportunities. I just wanted to make sure that you understand that majority of the PM&S-36 residency grads will probably not work in an Ortho group. Remember, there are many successful Podiatrists out there that do not work in an Ortho group and are doing tons of reconstructive rearfoot surgeries.

All I can say about starting salaries is that it varies greatly. It depends on a multitude of factors.

I'm a PM1, just had a few quick questions:
What ARE some of the factors influencing starting salary?
also, if you're in a ortho multispecialty group, would you get paid less than an MD because you cant take general call? (although maybe this could work to your advantage because you have more time to yourself)Also, would you ever be able to become an equal partner or would you merely be a employee of the orthopods?

Thanks for all of the info....that was very helpful.

what i meant by full time hospital jobs was referring to Pods in places like Kaiser. a friend of mine knows someone that works for kaiser full time getting about paid over 100k plus bonus a year so i was generally interested in how easy it is to land these kinds of jobs.
Thanks for all of the information though....that was very helpful.

I'm a PM1, just had a few quick questions:
What ARE some of the factors influencing starting salary?
also, if you're in a ortho multispecialty group, would you get paid less than an MD because you cant take general call? (although maybe this could work to your advantage because you have more time to yourself)Also, would you ever be able to become an equal partner or would you merely be a employee of the orthopods?

I know that the issues about starting salaries have been discussed on previous forum threads. You might want to do a quick search to locate these threads.

In general, some of the factors that influence starting salaries include the medical malpractice situation in the area, insurance reimbursement rates in the area, types of insurance in the area (such as HMO vs PPO), salary structure (base salary, base salary with bonus incentive, percentage of receivables, etc...), benefits package (base salary may be higher if you had to purchase your own health and malpractice insurance), number of Podiatrists / Foot Ankle Orthopod in the local area, group practice vs solo practictioner (including ortho group vs non ortho groups), what salary that the group practice can afford to pay you based on the patient volume, etc... For example, in the major metropolitan areas in the Northeast, the chances of a new Podiatry grad starting above 100,000 is much smaller than a Podiatry grad joining a practice in the Midwest.

As for being paid as the same starting salary as an Orthopod, I have not heard anyone being paid the same level as a starting Orthopod. But, it might be possible though. The reason why I have not heard any DPMs being paid the same as a starting Orthopod because many of the recent Orthopod grads usually start well above 200,000 a year (many of the Orthopods do fellowships these days). I personally know of a few DPMs in Ortho groups that are compensated pretty well though. I also know of a Podiatry residency grad that recently joined a Podiatry group and started around 150,000 base salary with incentive bonus.

As for a DPM in ortho groups being an associate or being a partner, it will depend on the agreement between the Ortho group and the DPM. Majority of the DPMs that I know in Ortho groups will remain as an associate in the group since they do not take primary call for the Ortho group. There are a few DPMs that have made partnership status due to a variety reasons, such as starting a DPM starting a multidisciplinary group with an Orthopod.

what i meant by full time hospital jobs was referring to Pods in places like Kaiser. a friend of mine knows someone that works for kaiser full time getting about paid over 100k plus bonus a year so i was generally interested in how easy it is to land these kinds of jobs.
Thanks for all of the information though....that was very helpful.

Working for Kaiser Permanente is actually pretty nice. You are right in that DPMs usually start at a salary in the 100's.