Podiatric surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor-wanabe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, this is my first time on this forum and I have a question about Podiatric surgeons. Do these surgeons routinely work in hospitals, and after you get in to podiatry school, how many years will your residency last to become a surgeon? Also, what are your limitations as a podiatric surgeon?

Members don't see this ad.

doctor-wanabe said:
Well, this is my first time on this forum and I have a question about Podiatric surgeons. Do these surgeons routinely work in hospitals, and after you get in to podiatry school, how many years will your residency last to become a surgeon? Also, what are your limitations as a podiatric surgeon?

Some podiatric surgeons work in hospitals, but most work in private practice and perform surgery in a surgical center.

Podiatric surgeons do 2 and 3 year residencies. It seems that most programs are moving towards the PM&S-36 format.

This last question is very hard to answer. Every state has different laws on the scope of practice. This is something that PPAC (Podiatric Political Action Committee) is working on. They are fighting to get a universal scope set by the government. If you'd like I have a few charts and maps that are on this topic, PM me if you'd like them.

Well, I'm from Seattle, Washington and would you happen to know where I could found out the state law regarding the scope of practice? Podiatry got my attention when my dad got foot surgery done on his foot because of a broken bone. I was impressed with the job the doctor did and have been interested ever since.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctor-wanabe said:
Well, I'm from Seattle, Washington and would you happen to know where I could found out the state law regarding the scope of practice? Podiatry got my attention when my dad got foot surgery done on his foot because of a broken bone. I was impressed with the job the doctor did and have been interested ever since.

Swedish Medical Center in Seattle is a very good surgical residency. There is also a good one in Tacoma. Podiatrists are on staff at hospitals, in orthopedic groups, in multispecialty groups, in private practice, etc. As far as scope, most states include the foot and ankle and by the time you would be done, I'm sure all states would include ankle (legislation is in the works for many of them). Plan on doing a 3 year surgical residency (as Feelgood said).

§ 246-922-001 Scope of practice in the state of Washington.

(1) An "ailment of the human foot" as set forth in RCW 18.22.010 is defined as any condition, symptom, disease, complaint, or disability involving the functional foot. The functional foot includes the anatomical foot and any muscle, tendon, ligament, or other soft tissue structure directly attached to the anatomical foot and which impacts upon or affects the foot or foot function and osseous structure up to and including the
articulating surfaces of the ankle joint.

(2) In diagnosing or treating the ailments of the functional foot, a podiatric physician and surgeon is entitled to utilize medical, surgical, mechanical, manipulative, radiological, and electrical treatment methods and the diagnostic procedure or treatment method may be utilized upon an anatomical location other than the functional foot. The diagnosis and treatment of the foot includes diagnosis and treatment necessary for preventive care of the well foot.

(3) A podiatric physician and surgeon may examine, diagnose, and commence treatment of ailments for which differential diagnoses include an ailment of the human foot. Upon determination what the condition presented is not an ailment of the human foot, the podiatric physician and surgeon shall obtain an appropriate consultation or make an appropriate referral to a licensed health care practitioner authorized by
law to treat systemic conditions. The podiatric physician and surgeon may take emergency actions as are reasonably necessary to protect the patient's health until the intervention of a licensed health care practitioner authorized by law to treat systemic conditions.

(4) A podiatric physician and surgeon may diagnose or treat an ailment of the human foot caused by a systemic condition provided an appropriate consultation or referral for the systemic condition is made to a licensed health care practitioner authorized by law to treat systemic conditions.

(5) A podiatric physician and surgeon shall not administer a general or spinal anesthetic, however, a podiatric physician and surgeon may treat ailments of the human foot when the treatment requires use of a general or spinal anesthetic provided that the administration of the general or spinal anesthetic is by or under the supervision of a physician authorized under chapter 18.71 or 18.57 RCW.

Dr_Feelgood said:

(1) An "ailment of the human foot" as set forth in RCW 18.22.010 is defined as any condition, symptom, disease, complaint, or disability involving the functional foot. The functional foot includes the anatomical foot and any muscle, tendon, ligament, or other soft tissue structure directly attached to the anatomical foot and which impacts upon or affects the foot or foot function and osseous structure up to and including the

(2) In diagnosing or treating the ailments of the functional foot, a podiatric physician and surgeon is entitled to utilize medical, surgical, mechanical, manipulative, radiological, and electrical treatment methods and the diagnostic procedure or treatment method may be utilized upon an anatomical location other than the functional foot. The diagnosis and treatment of the foot includes diagnosis and treatment necessary for preventive care of the well foot.

(3) A podiatric physician and surgeon may examine, diagnose, and commence treatment of ailments for which differential diagnoses include an ailment of the human foot. Upon determination what the condition presented is not an ailment of the human foot, the podiatric physician and surgeon shall obtain an appropriate consultation or make an appropriate referral to a licensed health care practitioner authorized by
law to treat systemic conditions. The podiatric physician and surgeon may take emergency actions as are reasonably necessary to protect the patient's health until the intervention of a licensed health care practitioner authorized by law to treat systemic conditions.

(4) A podiatric physician and surgeon may diagnose or treat an ailment of the human foot caused by a systemic condition provided an appropriate consultation or referral for the systemic condition is made to a licensed health care practitioner authorized by law to treat systemic conditions.

(5) A podiatric physician and surgeon shall not administer a general or spinal anesthetic, however, a podiatric physician and surgeon may treat ailments of the human foot when the treatment requires use of a general or spinal anesthetic provided that the administration of the general or spinal anesthetic is by or under the supervision of a physician authorized under chapter 18.71 or 18.57 RCW.

Thanks Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood said:

Ah yes, Feelgood to the rescue. :p

Hey yo I never asked ya, but what happend to Tommy Lee, Nikki Sixx, Mick Mars & Vince, when they were shootin' booze in their veins? And Tommy says on VH1. "We knew we were f*cked up when we went back to the hotel and we were shootin' alcohol in our veins. We're like, 'What the f are we doin" -- we can DRINK this ****'". :laugh: Hahaa. Too funny, indeed. :D

capo said:
Ah yes, Feelgood to the rescue. :p

Hey yo I never asked ya, but what happend to Tommy Lee, Nikki Sixx, Mick Mars & Vince, when they were shootin' booze in their veins? And Tommy says on VH1. "We knew we were f*cked up when we went back to the hotel and we were shootin' alcohol in our veins. We're like, 'What the f are we doin" -- we can DRINK this ****'". :laugh: Hahaa. Too funny, indeed. :D

Maybe that is how he got Mrs Pamela Lee :love:

Dr_Feelgood said:
Maybe that is how he got Mrs Pamela Lee :love:
Ok, you win. But then he busted her up til she called the cops to take his a$$ to the clink. I love Crue though, too. They are/were still a raucous poop-kickin' band from way back.

LONG LIVE CRUE!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: