podiatric school ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therengu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask if anyone know where can we find unbiased articles or newspaper that rank podiatric school?
Secondly, I got accepted to Arizona, Temple, Barry, and California. Now I don't know which school I should go to. :confused: They each have good side and bad side. Also I can see myself going to any school. Please give me suggestion on which school should I pick. Thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

therengu said:
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask if anyone know where can we find unbiased articles or newspaper that rank podiatric school?
Secondly, I got accepted to Arizona, Temple, Barry, and California. Now I don't know which school I should go to. :confused: They each have good side and bad side. Also I can see myself going to any school. Please give me suggestion on which school should I pick. Thank you for all your help.

I dont think there is any literature on school rankings because there are so few schools. We have talked about this before in previous forums and have conluded that the right school really depends on you and what you are looking for. Any school will prepare you for the residency you want if you put in the time. Maybe someone has has seen some sort of ranking and can be of better help. Good luck.

There are no school rankings outside of personal opinions and meaningless bragging.

Having said that, I am very confident that there are schools that are better for some students than others. It's really a matter of what you find important in your educational experience.

If you are academically gifted, you most certainly will want to explore those schools that appear to hold academics in high regard and will allow you to explore your personal academic talent and be among like-minded students, which is obviously important to many.... but unfortunately, not all.

I mean if they are admitting individuals with 2.3gpas and 18 MCATs, for example, would you fit in if your GPA was 3.7 and an mcat of 27??? I can't answer that for you, but getting a good feel for

---Who they allow into their program (ie gpa etc) may be able to shed some personal insight into your own question.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
a ranking i live by:

1. DMU
2. SCPM
3. TUSPM
4. AZPM
5. OCPM
6. BUGMS
7. NYCPM
8. CSPM

BengaliDocIsl said:
a ranking i live by:

1. DMU
2. SCPM
3. TUSPM
4. AZPM
5. OCPM
6. BUGMS
7. NYCPM
8. CSPM

What do you base on to classify the schools?

How can you rank AZPOD 4th when they haven't graduated their first class yet?

This is based solely on my brain, and i am a smart person, so it would be in your best interests to believe me. ok. azpod doesn't need to graduate a class, i know they are better than 5-8.

BengaliDocIsl said:
This is based solely on my brain, and i am a smart person, so it would be in your best interests to believe me. ok. azpod doesn't need to graduate a class, i know they are better than 5-8.

you must have a synthetic brain. How much do you pay for it?

my best advise to anyone who'd like to go to podiatry school is to go to as many interviews as possible ( if you have money). all the schools are great. it all depends on what you're looking for.

I agree that the best school for you may be the worst for someone else. Each school has essentially the same curriculum...as they all have to base it on the same end goal. It matters what is right for you and how you learn best. I definitely recommend visiting the schools if possible and going on your gut feeling. My first choice was originally CSPM, then Scholl, and lastly it was AZPOD. After my interviews, AZPOD became my top choice and I have now commited to them for next fall. I loved it there, loved the campus, loved the program, and absolutely loved the faculty. The mentality there was very fitting and comfortable for me. Good luck deciding!

OOK said:
you must have a synthetic brain. How much do you pay for it?

my best advise to anyone who'd like to go to podiatry school is to go to as many interviews as possible ( if you have money). all the schools are great. it all depends on what you're looking for.

i just had a conversation with tuspm admissions director david martin, this is how it went:

David: So what are other schools did you get invited to?
Me: SCPM and OCPM
David: Have you interviewed there?
Me: No, i just have the dates
David: Well the committee is about to make a decision on your application
Me: Ok, Temple is my first choice
David: Well, dont make any tickets, dont make any tickets
Me:When can I find out if you make a decision
David: Monday, you can call and find out, I will give you scholarship info

Does this sound like an acceptance?

BengaliDocIsl said:
i just had a conversation with tuspm admissions director david martin, this is how it went:

you're not even a student yet and you were ranking schools!
any way, I think that's an acceptance. good luck in your carreer in podiatric medicine. remember, no matter what school you go to ,it is good to stick together with students from other schools. they are all well educated as you are. and we need to get together to help the profession. if you know something bad about a school, give a smart and helpful opinion.

Good luck

therengu said:
Hello everyone,

This is my advise... Take or not.

Out of the 4 schools on your list I would choose Arizona or Temple. I met 3 of the 13 students from Arizona at a meeting I was at recently. They all seem very impressed and satisfied so far with their school and the plans set for them.

Barry and California are not on the list b/c from a friend of mine transfered from my school to Barry and thinks it is the worst decision he ever made. He would do anything to be back in NY and that is mainly because of the people that we have in our class.

I have not heard anything great about Cali from students or faculty that are visiting professors there from NY. So I can not recomend it.

This was just my advice and oppinion.

BengaliDocIsl said:
a ranking i live by:

1. DMU
2. SCPM
3. TUSPM
4. AZPM
5. OCPM
6. BUGMS
7. NYCPM
8. CSPM

I wouldn't go to DMU because my best friend's sister's third cousin twice removed saw a movie that took place in Iowa and didn't like it.

I wouldn't go to SCPM because the man who changes my tires' nephew got beaten up in the third grade by a boy whose name rhymes with Scholl.

I wouldn't go to TUSPM because my father's first cousin's uncle went with his date to a temple and it didn't turn out too well.

I wouldn't go to AZPM because the first two letters are the same as AZT and you might catch AIDS from that.

I wouldn't go to OCPM because my ex-roommate's dog barks when that show The OC comes on, and that's too much of a coincidence.

I wouldn't go to BUGSMS because...Oh hell! I am going there...so forget what I said earlier about not going there.

I wouldn't go to NYCPM because NY uses too many intials for things (i.e. NYPD, FDNY, etc.) and initials scare me.

I wouldn't go to CSPM because I once heard a joke about a frog from California and the frog was very badly treated by his little friends in that joke.

I guess to sum it up I would say that I pretty much let all these other people make up my mind for me. I listened to lots of hearsay and rumors, but since they were on the internet they must have been true, right? A funny thing happened, though, when I wrote the names of all the schools on little pieces of paper and put them in a hat. I let my dog pick them out once at a time and do you know what happened? My list came out exactly the same as yours did. This must mean it is the one that everyone should follow. You know, for years I have said that it doesn't really matter what school you end up with, because if you work hard, you will be able to do well no matter where you went to school. I have always said that you should pick a school where you, the individual, feels comfortable because most people are more productive in an environment in which they are most comfortable. I've also said that the only way to know that is to go and see it first hand, without any preconceived notions. I guess I was wrong all this time. I sure wish that I had the list back when I was choosing schools. I wouldn't have have to do any thinking for myself. I get kind of dangerous when I do too much thinking :)

Members don't see this ad :)
"a ranking i live by:

1. DMU
2. SCPM
3. TUSPM
4. AZPM
5. OCPM
6. BUGMS
7. NYCPM
8. CSPM"

------------------------------------------------
Since we're sharing opinions, I'll share mine...

1.00 DMU
1.25 TUSPM
1.50 AZPM
4.25 SCPM
5.00 CSPM
5.50 BCPM
6.50. OCPM
7.00 NYCPM

I'd have to say that the first two are attention getters and I'm pretty interested in what fruits Arizona will produce....

The rest are really hit and miss, in my eyes...

Pretty much If I were an alien classifying pod schools I'd group them into two groups with the following opinion/parody.

Group One- Life form that co-exist with MD/DO life forms and reap the academic, professional and competitive benefits for having such a mutualistic relationship with the aforementioned life forms.

Sub group of One- An archaic species that range from symbiotic to pathogenic, and everything in between, with regards to species one. They possess a peculiar chameleon-amoeboid movement which makes it appear that they are capable of motion, when in fact they have no apparent motility of their own and most certainly require a vector for their locomotion.
It's been rumor that this subspecies seems to thrive in a podiatry ether zone, relative to their counterpart supraspecies but, as with all science, further tests would be required to validate that freightening claim....

whiskers said:
"a ranking i live by:

1. DMU
2. SCPM
3. TUSPM
4. AZPM
5. OCPM
6. BUGMS
7. NYCPM
8. CSPM"

1.00 DMU
1.25 TUSPM
1.50 AZPM
4.25 SCPM
5.00 CSPM
5.50 BCPM
6.50. OCPM
7.00 NYCPM

I'd have to say that the first two are attention getters and I'm pretty interested in what fruits Arizona will produce....

Pretty much If I were an alien classifying pod schools I'd group them into two groups with the following opinion/parody.

Group One- Life form that co-exist with MD/DO life forms and reap the academic, professional and competitive benefits for having such a mutualistic relationship with the aforementioned life forms.

Sub group of One- An archaic species that range from symbiotic to pathogenic, and everything in between, with regards to species one. They possess a peculiar chameleon-amoeboid movement which makes it appear that they are capable of motion, when in fact they have no apparent motility of their own and most certainly require a vector for their locomotion.
It's been rumor that this subspecies seems to thrive in a podiatry ether zone, relative to their counterpart supraspecies but, as with all science, further tests would be required to validate that freightening claim....

Hey just a couple questions,

Which ones have you been to?

I am assuming 1 is best and 7 is worst?

If I had to guess what school you have/are attending I would choose SCPM by what info you have given. I do understand why you would put SCPM above other schools that do not offer integrated programs with MD\DO's however why give it a 4.25 rather than a 1.something like the other integrated programs. However, I may be way off considering my talent in analysis of Verbal Reasoning.

C'mon give me your feedback :)

You:
BengaliDocIsl said:

Me:
You're a gibroni

whiskers said:
"a ranking i live by:

1. DMU
2. SCPM
3. TUSPM
4. AZPM
5. OCPM
6. BUGMS
7. NYCPM
8. CSPM"

1.00 DMU
1.25 TUSPM
1.50 AZPM
4.25 SCPM
5.00 CSPM
5.50 BCPM
6.50. OCPM
7.00 NYCPM

why so much negativity against NYCPM? I think NYCPM is very good school. it has a great clinic and a great curriculum. they may have some internal problems, but not enough to judge tthem so bad.

scpod said:
You know, for years I have said that it doesn't really matter what school you end up with, because if you work hard, you will be able to do well no matter where you went to school. I have always said that you should pick a school where you, the individual, feels comfortable because most people are more productive in an environment in which they are most comfortable. I've also said that the only way to know that is to go and see it first hand, without any preconceived notions. :)

I agree with you on this scpod.

MurrayButler said:
SCPM is #1. Bottom line

close but if you were number one you you have an hundred percent pass rate like good old DMU. Your up there, but not quite number one. SCPM is diffinitely a great school.

OOK said:
why so much negativity against NYCPM? I think NYCPM is very good school. it has a great clinic and a great curriculum. they may have some internal problems, but not enough to judge tthem so bad.

It not so much that it is hated, but you need to realize that there are only a few schools, some of the schools need to raise the bar a little bit. We will all be in the same profession together and I think that some of the debate is not so much which school is better, but which ones are evoling into what we really need to become as a group of professionals the best trained and ethical doctors that we can be. This is important for moving the profession forward. just my 2 cents.

psionic_blast said:
It not so much that it is hated, but you need to realize that there are only a few schools, some of the schools need to raise the bar a little bit. We will all be in the same profession together and I think that some of the debate is not so much which school is better, but which ones are evoling into what we really need to become as a group of professionals the best trained and ethical doctors that we can be. This is important for moving the profession forward. just my 2 cents.

What do you think the other schools have that NYCPM doesn't have?

Oh my God

Scpod's definitely right in that you're going to do your best in an environment that's best suited for you (comfort/ student body/ learning resources/ stress outlets).

It might also be entirely possible that the schools excel in their specific niches. Want to be sure to pass your boards and a great foundation? Go study at DMU. Want an array of opportunities and research potential? Go fly your kite at Scholl. Want the full parade and trauma extremes of clinical experience? Temple's playing your tune.

Because of all the 'adjustments' of the schools in the last few years, there's no winner that's producing the top students in all categories. Therefore, it's really about figuring out what you want to do and going to the place you can do it well. Airfare money is well spent. The residency directors don't care where you go, as long as you give them your best.

OOK said:
What do you think the other schools have that NYCPM doesn't have?

1) Better research. NYCPM currently has one person directing research. Unfortunately this is a part-time position because she has many other duties.

2) Better trauma curriculum. NYCPM currently has a month long trauma course that does not adequately prepare you for externships and interviews. You have to suppliment your NYCPM education with outside sources.

2 reasons off the top of my head.

Ezj391 said:
1) Better research. NYCPM currently has one person directing research. Unfortunately this is a part-time position because she has many other duties.

2) Better trauma curriculum. NYCPM currently has a month long trauma course that does not adequately prepare you for externships and interviews. You have to suppliment your NYCPM education with outside sources.

2 reasons off the top of my head.

I think the person directing the research lab is just appointed as the new dean of the basic science. so, she is full time now.

for the trauma I don't know. but I don't think those points are enough to drop the school so low in the ranking. they have very knowledgeable professors. I think when it comes to knowledge, the students are very good if you compare them with the national average ( among podiatric students). the only problem is that probably the administration doesn't pay too much attention to the students needs. they have other priorities maybe. But, as you say the students are smart enough to look for information they need.

OOK said:
I think the person directing the research lab is just appointed as the new dean of the basic science. so, she is full time now.

for the trauma I don't know. but I don't think those points are enough to drop the school so low in the ranking. they have very knowledgeable professors. I think when it comes to knowledge, the students are very good if you compare them with the national average ( among podiatric students). the only problem is that probably the administration doesn't pay too much attention to the students needs. they have other priorities maybe. But, as you say the students are smart enough to look for information they need.

Dr. Chusid is the department head of research. She has been full time for a while now and maintains her status as faculty at MSSM. She was just appointed to dean of basic sciences and will stay as the research head as well.

Since the school is not merged with any other osteopathic or other types of med schools it is difficult to get grant money. We are starting to gain attention from companies doing large scale multisite trials and will be starting trials shortly.

I would never say that my school is perfect but I do think it should be higher on the list.

OOK are you in pod school? which one?

krabmas said:
Dr. Chusid is the department head of research. She has been full time for a while now and maintains her status as faculty at MSSM. She was just appointed to dean of basic sciences and will stay as the research head as well.

Since the school is not merged with any other osteopathic or other types of med schools it is difficult to get grant money. We are starting to gain attention from companies doing large scale multisite trials and will be starting trials shortly.

I would never say that my school is perfect but I do think it should be higher on the list.

OOK are you in pod school? which one?

I am in Pod school.

Number 1 school for passing rates? DMU.
Number 1 school for research? SCPM. One word: Armstrong.
Number 1 school for resources? SCPM.

I've heard DMU students see a larger number of patients than at SCPM since the school moved from downtown chicago to the far north suburbs.

An argument against DMU's 100% pass rate is that their class size is much much smaller that Scholl (30 vs. 85 i think, but these could be wrong).

Most of the debate through the forums seems to be who is #1, DMU or SCPM. I'm biased, but I say SCPM hands-down.

AnalBeads said:

I've heard DMU students see a larger number of patients than at SCPM since the school moved from downtown chicago to the far north suburbs.

An argument against DMU's 100% pass rate is that their class size is much much smaller that Scholl (30 vs. 85 i think, but these could be wrong).

Most of the debate through the forums seems to be who is #1, DMU or SCPM. I'm biased, but I say SCPM hands-down.

Your wrong but that is alright. DMU 1 SCPM 2. DMU matriculates ~50 students a year. Some fail which leads to class sizes about 42. They do this as to not oversaturate they profession, let's call it restraint. We need to unite not divide. I think the real thing that we are debating is not of so much importance, we need all the school to come up to the levels of SCPM and DMU period. The profession will get there eventually I have faith it will!

AnalBeads said:

There is no question about it. SCPM has some great things going on. But I am biased too (DMU rocks!). As should everyone be. In the end we are all colleagues and will be watching each other's backs in future. The only time I will kick another pod's a$$ is if AnalBeads testifies against me in court. In which case there will be hell to pay.

AnalBeads said:

Even the board pass rate that the Iowa school likes to scream about from their ivory tower is not what they crack it up to be. Scholl may not be at 100% pass rate year in and year out, but they are regularly in the 80's and 90's, percent wise. What are we talking about, 5 students not passing? Come on. When your class sizes are around 100, you are bound to have a person that has a bad day or who's dog got ran over the morning of the exam. If one person in the Iowa school doesn't pass the exam, that means their pass rate drops 5 points. Passing the boards is not even a necesity in some states, and that is a real issue that needs to be discussed. Besides, you are going to get educated no matter where you go. They are all good schools, or they would not be accredited and half their graduates would be losing thier licenses. That is why it is important to, just like when you are looking for a residency, prioritize what you want to get out of it, see where you fit in the best and go to that school. We should pick each other up more often than beat each other down. Besides, we have the orthopedic surgeons we could be ganging up on instead.

franknetter said:
Passing the boards is not even a necesity in some states, and that is a real issue that needs to be discussed.

I agree with you Frank. (By the way, you have left out a lot of ligaments and arteries in your drawings of the foot, its getting me pretty upset). Anyway, I found your above quote interesting. If any school is graduating students without passing the boards then they have issues. This may be a common thing among schools I dont know, but I do know that at DMU we cant start clinical rotations without passing the boards. If you dont go through your rotations, you dont graduate. So it shouldnt matter that some states dont require passing the boards (which I still find hard to believe, are you sure you're not thinking of residency?) because those students should never recieve the degree. Maybe those of other schools can talk about their policy on passing the boards.

randersen said:
I agree with you Frank. (By the way, you have left out a lot of ligaments and arteries in your drawings of the foot, its getting me pretty upset). Anyway, I found your above quote interesting. If any school is graduating students without passing the boards then they have issues. This may be a common thing among schools I dont know, but I do know that at DMU we cant start clinical rotations without passing the boards. If you dont go through your rotations, you dont graduate. So it shouldnt matter that some states dont require passing the boards (which I still find hard to believe, are you sure you're not thinking of residency?) because those students should never recieve the degree. Maybe those of other schools can talk about their policy on passing the boards.

some schools let you go the third year without passing PArt I. But, you have to take it in september or october ( I don't know exacltly). However, it is mandatory to pass PArt I and Part II before gaduation.

franknetter said:
Passing the boards is not even a necesity in some states, and that is a real issue that needs to be discussed.

The reason why some states do not require the passage of boards is that those states simply do not recognize the board exams. There are several states where you have to take their state podiatry board written and oral exams. Some believe that these states utilize their own podiatry written and oral board exams in order to control the number of podiatrists practicing in those states.

On the other hand, you also have states that have very stringent board exam requirements such as Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania requires that all students pass Part I, Part II (March exam) and PMLexis Part III (June exam) in order for the students to start their residency training in Pennsylvania. The reason for this in Pennsylvania is that Podiatry residents need to get the full DPM license in order to get malpractice insurance in Pennsylvania. If a student decides to take the Part II exam in May instead of March or fails the Part II exam in March, they will have no chance of starting any residency program in Pennsylvania because they will not be able to take the PMLexis since PMLexis requires the passage of both Part I and II and those who take the May version of the Part II exam will not get their scores back in time before the PMLexis exam. This was a problem in some of the Philadelphia residency programs where they lost a few first year residents because the graduating student either failed Part II or PMLexis.

randersen said:

Many of the schools have the policy on the books but it is the enforcement of the rule that is the question. With the appeals process of all the rules and policies most students get around the rules.

Does anyone know of any student that has actually been kicked out or not allowed to graduate because of not passing the boards?

One more thing...
This is a descussion many of the students at my school have.
If a student cannot pass the boards they will most likely be stopped from practicing (most states require it). If these students spend 4 years in school on loans and do not get a degree how will they pay back student loans. We think each student should have the opurtunity to pass their classes and obtain a degree then without passing the boards at least they could get a job for a drug company or doing something other than practicing with their degree. The main issue is to make sure that these students know what is in store for them with out passing the boards.

Let me know what you think about this.

krabmas said:
Many of the schools have the policy on the books but it is the enforcement of the rule that is the question. With the appeals process of all the rules and policies most students get around the rules.

Does anyone know of any student that has actually been kicked out or not allowed to graduate because of not passing the boards?

One more thing...
This is a descussion many of the students at my school have.
If a student cannot pass the boards they will most likely be stopped from practicing (most states require it). If these students spend 4 years in school on loans and do not get a degree how will they pay back student loans. We think each student should have the opurtunity to pass their classes and obtain a degree then without passing the boards at least they could get a job for a drug company or doing something other than practicing with their degree. The main issue is to make sure that these students know what is in store for them with out passing the boards.

Let me know what you think about this.

I personally think that passing boards should be a part of the required curriculum to graduate. After all, if you dont master the material, why should you be awarded the degree? Boards is a way to measure that. Its like saying you can get your PhD without doing a thesis. Maybe some schools care more about the tuition dollars than the quality of the graduate. (Im not talking about any specific school, just a generalization).

randersen said:
I personally think that passing boards should be a part of the required curriculum to graduate. After all, if you dont master the material, why should you be awarded the degree? Boards is a way to measure that. Its like saying you can get your PhD without doing a thesis. Maybe some schools care more about the tuition dollars than the quality of the graduate. (Im not talking about any specific school, just a generalization).

I agree that some schools care more about tuition dollars and it is very sad.

I don't want slackers in our profession either but I also think about those who manage to pass all the classes but have trouble on the boards.

What do MD, DO, DDS, DMD, optometry schoos do? Do most of them require passing boards to graduate?

In order to graduate from an osteopathic medical school, students are required to sit and pass COMLEX I, COMLEX II-CE (cognitive evaluation), and COMLEX II-PE (performance evaluation). To be fully licensed, one must pass COMLEX-III taken during or near the end of internship or PGY-1. USMLE I, USMLE II-CK (clinical knowledge), USMLE II-CS (clinical skills), and USMLE III for the allopaths.

We cannot sit for COMLEX II without passing COMLEX I (unlike the NBPME - http://www.nbpme.com/PDFs/fall2005.pdf - number 9 page 3). At TUN-COM, we are required to take COMLEX I before our 4th rotation (October) third year in case one does not pass. If one fails to pass, he/she will be placed on academic probation and removed from clinical rotations in order to prepare for licensure board examinations. Students must complete COMLEX II CE after the completion of all third year core clerkship rotations and no later than October 31 of year IV. COMLEX Level II PE must be taken by March 1 of year IV.

I saw this post on podiatry school rankings and decided to pipe in on the subject.

I have a unique situation in that I am a medical student at Midwestern University at Glendale (AZCOM) and take classes with the Podiatry students (AZPOD). I have looked at the other schools of Podiatry and have noted some very crucial educational benefits AZPOD possesses that those programs do not. I'd like to mention some briefly.

To start, it is important for me to elaborate on where AZCOM stands. Among DO schools, it has risen to prominence quite swiftly and is the only DO school to have 100% board pass rates among first-time test takers for the past 5 years. It places their students in some of the most competitive residencies in the country and in some of the most competitive specialties. AZCOM stands out as one of the top DO schools, if not THE top DO school, in the country. Even when compared to MD schools, AZCOM holds up and its students gain residencies where no DO has gone before (sorry for the cliche). :)

AZPOD has been established differently than all other schools of podiatry in the country. Although some schools, most notably DMU, have interactions with the medical students, none have total immersion with medical students as do the students of AZPOD. ALL basic science courses are taught together, as one giant body of medical and podiatry students. By the end of the first two years, the podiatry students are just as prepared as the DO students to take the boards. I sometimes wonder if they would beat our scores on the COMLEX (more on this in a moment). The education students receive at AZPOD is not rivaled by any other podiatry school. They are taught by the best (in the DO world and the podiatry world)! In addition to these classes, AZPOD has attracted a commanding set of all-star podiatrical surgeons/physicians to its program. For the first time ever, podiatry students have a truly equal education as medical students from the top DO program in the country.

How are they holding up in our classes, you might be tempted to ask. Well, it's quite surprising at how many students in graduate programs enter in and then don't make it. Last year, about 16 DO students had to take an extra year because they couldn't take the abuse (it IS abuse). One or two podiatry students, out of 33?, faced a similar predicament. Initially, as you can imagine from the lower academic requirements for admission into podiatry school, many of the podiatry students struggled to keep up with the mean test scores on our exams. Instead of giving up and quiting, they have worked consistently harder than any of us. Now they are always at the same level we are academically. One of my collegues remarked, "I've never seen anyone earn their degrees more than these students." They work harder than anyone else AND they go year round. We, at least, have the summers off.

I hope this puts things into perspective and you can realize that, although new, in the long run, no school would be a better choice for podiatry school than AZPOD.

When comparing different podiatry schools we should look at, what is the primary function a podiatry school?

In my opinion, the "best" podiatry school is the one that helps you get into a great residency program. From my experience, the most important aspect of podiatry school is the third year. This is where you gather the knowlege and clinical experience to prepare for externships and interviews. I don't think Board Part I passing rates or how rigorous the basic science courses are really matter.
I would advise propective students to ask the 4th years whether they felt that their school adequately prepared them for externships and interviews.

POD Advocate said:
I saw this post on podiatry school rankings and decided to pipe in on the subject.

I have a unique situation in that I am a medical student at Midwestern University at Glendale (AZCOM) and take classes with the Podiatry students (AZPOD). I have looked at the other schools of Podiatry and have noted some very crucial educational benefits AZPOD possesses that those programs do not. I'd like to mention some briefly.

To start, it is important for me to elaborate on where AZCOM stands. Among DO schools, it has risen to prominence quite swiftly and is the only DO school to have 100% board pass rates among first-time test takers for the past 5 years. It places their students in some of the most competitive residencies in the country and in some of the most competitive specialties. AZCOM stands out as one of the top DO schools, if not THE top DO school, in the country. Even when compared to MD schools, AZCOM holds up and its students gain residencies where no DO has gone before (sorry for the cliche). :)

AZPOD has been established differently than all other schools of podiatry in the country. Although some schools, most notably DMU, have interactions with the medical students, none have total immersion with medical students as do the students of AZPOD. ALL basic science courses are taught together, as one giant body of medical and podiatry students. By the end of the first two years, the podiatry students are just as prepared as the DO students to take the boards. I sometimes wonder if they would beat our scores on the COMLEX (more on this in a moment). The education students receive at AZPOD is not rivaled by any other podiatry school. They are taught by the best (in the DO world and the podiatry world)! In addition to these classes, AZPOD has attracted a commanding set of all-star podiatrical surgeons/physicians to its program. For the first time ever, podiatry students have a truly equal education as medical students from the top DO program in the country.

How are they holding up in our classes, you might be tempted to ask. Well, it's quite surprising at how many students in graduate programs enter in and then don't make it. Last year, about 16 DO students had to take an extra year because they couldn't take the abuse (it IS abuse). One or two podiatry students, out of 33?, faced a similar predicament. Initially, as you can imagine from the lower academic requirements for admission into podiatry school, many of the podiatry students struggled to keep up with the mean test scores on our exams. Instead of giving up and quiting, they have worked consistently harder than any of us. Now they are always at the same level we are academically. One of my collegues remarked, "I've never seen anyone earn their degrees more than these students." They work harder than anyone else AND they go year round. We, at least, have the summers off.

I hope this puts things into perspective and you can realize that, although new, in the long run, no school would be a better choice for podiatry school than AZPOD.

Its good to hear that a program so new has such an sound curriculum. We were a little bummed to lose some of our faculty to the az school but know that they will be great there. They intially told us that they would try to mirror the DMU curriculum as we are fully integrated with DOs for all the basic sciences and physical diagnosis. Our systems courses are seperate but similar. Thanks for taking care of those guys for us. Im from Az but wasnt comfortable goign to a new program. Its clear though that AZPOD is definitely a great school. You cant go wrong there.

Um, we are fully integrated with the DO students in basic sciences here at DMU as well. AZPOD got the idea from DMU where a number of their professors came from.

POD Advocate said:

Two years ago half the class failed at AZPOD. A AZCOM professor and member of admissions committee told me this. It is great that last years class went better.

Im happy to hear this! I will be there next fall!

POD Advocate said:

discusdan said:
Two years ago half the class failed at AZPOD. A AZCOM professor and member of admissions committee told me this. It is great that last years class went better.

You mean last year? The 1st class at AZPOD enrolled less than 2 years ago, Aug of 2004. Dont make me post up against you in B-Ball this Thurs. I dont want to embarrass you.

discusdan said:
I'm in that first class that started 2 years ago and that information is not true, the class started with 23 students, 1 left for health reasons, 3 took the extended track and are doing well at AZPOD, 2 took a deferment and are in the class of "2009", 2 failed and the rest will graduate as the first class at AZPOD in "2008".

desertpod said:
I'm in that first class that started 2 years ago and that information is not true, the class started with 23 students, 1 left for health reasons, 3 took the extended track and are doing well at AZPOD, 2 took a deferment and are in the class of "2009", 2 failed and the rest will graduate as the first class at AZPOD in "2008".

So it is only like 0.34782608695652173913....% didn't make it j/k. Do you think that you will have any attrition this year or are all doing well and going to graduate? I know that AZPOD is going to be one of the top school in no time at all. Are the 15 students that are left pretty tight with each other? Or is everyone out for themselves?

POD Advocate said:

This is the direction that I'd personally like to see all of the schools go.

If this is 100% true, and the school is fostering a fair/nontoxic academic environment, this school certainly deserves the highest quality students applying. It's that simple.

If you are considering PODIATRY school and don't want to end up in just another "pod" school, by all means, check this one out!

whiskers said:
This is the direction that I'd personally like to see all of the schools go.

If this is 100% true, and the school is fostering a fair/nontoxic academic environment, this school certainly deserves the highest quality students applying. It's that simple.

If you are considering PODIATRY school and don't want to end up in just another "pod" school, by all means, check this one out!

I agree w/ you that AZPOD is on the up and up, but are you insinuating that all of the other podiatry medical schools are ordinary? If so, what is your basis?