Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Mentoring Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FootAnklesX

SDN Mentor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is thread is for anyone who may have questions about the Podiatry / Podiatric Surgery profession and training. I am a practicing Podiatric Surgeon and will be more than happy to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it is best to start out in private practice or in a group setting after finishing residency?

I know there are pros and cons for each (ie costly overhead, employees, etc for private practice).

Thanks

I think that it really depends on your situation upon finishing residency. If you do have the money to start your own practice, then I recommend you to go for it. Remember, you need to do your homework as to where you set up your private practice. The first few years of private practice may be tough but it will probably pay off in the end. It is always nice to be your own boss. If you don't have the capital to start your own private practice, then join a group practice. The advantage of a group practice when you are first starting out is that you have some other more experience physicians around to help you with coding or for you to discuss more difficult patient or surgical case with.

Applying: What is the normal procedure to applying for a residency? What if I want to do a more sports medicine directed study? Do most people wanting to do this shadow Orthopedic Surgeons? What is the average pay during this time? Do places help you with housing?

At the start of your fourth year in Podiatry school, you will be submitting your uniform application for residency programs through a centralized clearinghouse called Centralized Application Service for Podiatric Residencies (CASPR). On the application, you will have the opportunity to designate which programs that you might be interested in applying for. Upon CASPR processing your application and getting your letters of recommendation, transcript, and clinical evaluation, the clearinghouse will forward your application materials to the various residency programs that you designate. In addition to CASPR application materials, students often have to submit additional materials (many programs also require an additional fee) to the residency programs. Upon receipt of the materials, the residency programs will review the application materials and determine if you will be granted for an interview with the program or not. Majority of the residency programs participate in the Centralized Regional Interview Program (CRIP), where residency programs can interview students at one of the three sites in the US (currently, NJ, IL, and CA). The purpose of CRIP is to make it easier for the students to be able to interview at a bunch of residency programs in one of those three locations. The few programs that do not participate in CRIP would require the students to travel to the individual hospital or a designated location for their interviews.

There are several residency programs where the residents may get to do some rotations in Podiatric Sports Medicine. However, majority of the Podiatrist interested in Podiatric Sports Medicine would do a Podiatric Sports Medicine fellowship after there residency training. There is no need for you to shadow an Orthopedic Surgeon for Sports Medicine since there several Podiatrists throughout the country that are involved in Sports Medicine. There is a Podiatric Sports Medicine society and you can learn more about it at http://www.aapsm.org.

In terms of salaries, you can take a look at the current salaries at various residency programs at http://www.casprcrip.org/ Most residency programs do NOT assist you with housing. However, there are some residency programs that may provide subsidized housing (discounted rent) for residents and their families or provide funds to help offset the rent as part of the hospital benefit.

Upon Graduation: Do most people try to open their own practice? Work as an associate somewhere? A hospital? How does one get into the athletics field (sports med podiatry) after graduation?

I think that there are more people starting out by working as an assoicate initially. There are some people that do try to open their own practice after graduating from residency program. However, this does require quite a bit of capital and perseverence to do so. There are few Podiatrist that are hired through the hospital. Usually, these Podiatrists will have a practice within the hospital medical office complex and services the Podiatric needs for the hospital.

A good start to get into Podiatric Sports Medicine is do a Podiatric Sports Medicine Fellowship after residency training. Of course, networking will also help get you into world of Podiatric Sports Medicine as well.

is there a list as to where these sports medicine fellowships are located? is that a similar experience as a residency which you are paid while you learn? do you do these at a hospital setting or someones practice who does sports med podiatry, or something else?

For a list of some of the approved fellowships in Podiatric Medicine (including sports medicine) can be found int he CPME 800 document. You can check out this document at http://www.apma.org/s_apma/seccpme.asp?CID=300&DID=16842

Here are SOME of the Podiatric Sports Medicine Fellowships:

1. Barry University Podiatric Sports Medicine Fellowship
Miami Shores, FL
http://www.barry.edu/podiatry/academic/residency.htm

2. Virginia Mason Sports Medicine Clinic (Podiatric Sports Medicine Fellowship)
Seattle, WA

3. Irvine Multi-Specialty Surgical Care Podiatric Sports Medicine Fellowship
Irvine, CA
Irvine Multi-Specialty Surgical Care (IMSC) will be sponsoring a Sports Medicine Fellowship Program for the year 2007-08. The program is certified by the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine (AAPSM). This will mark the 6th year of the program's existence. The program provides the Fellow a healthy mix of forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle surgery in an out-patient setting by the multiple attending staff. The rest of the time is spent in a strong clinical and sports medicine practice environment. The Fellow will receive excellent surgical exposure and a solid foundation in Sports Medicine/Biomechanics. Candidates must have a minimum of a 2-year residency (PSR 24-36 preferred). Send CV to Michael W. Heaslet, DPM, Program Director. Fax (949) 552-9493.

Most of these fellowship positions are paid positions similar to residency programs.

Majority of these fellowship are done at sports medicine clinics or private practices that focuses on Podiatric sports medicine. You may be involved at hopsital or surgery centers for surgical procedures.

You can also learn more about Podiatric Sports Medicine through the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine at http://www.aapsm.org.

Hello! How much investment does it require to start an average podiatry practice (including diagnostic equipment like Pod X-ray, Ultrasound, mini lab, etc).

Actually, this really depends on what you are planning for your office. Honestly, I can not tell you how much you minimally need to start an office since I did not start my own office and am working a Podiatry group. I know that cost will go up if you want EMR, Digital X-ray system, computer system in every treatment room, etc...

Hello,
I'm interested to know how much rearfoot/ankle procedures are performed in your practice? Also, do you treat the soft tissue up to the tibial tuberosity (depending on your state's laws of course)? Is it becoming more common for pods to do rearfoot/ankle work than in the past? I thought this would be the case recently since the majority of residency spots are 3 years in length and allow one to become "certified" in forefoot, rearfoot, ankle surgery.

I've heard on these forums that a number of pods will stick to mostly forefoot procedures and they are often called the "bread and butter" of the profession (bunions, hammertoes, neuromas, etc). The pros being they are often relatively quick procedures, can be done in-office or surgical suite, pay well, etc.

Also I read that rearfoot/ankle procedures are often more complicated, have longer healing time, often require general anesthesia, higher chance of post-op problems, etc. I understand that surgeries are under a "global fee" which includes post-op visits...so if you have a non-compliant patient or one that is not healing "well" then it can be a problem.

Overall, I'm wondering if there is enough opportunity for future pods to do rearfoot/ankle procedures or surgeries? I understand that 39 states include the ankle in the scope of practice but it is ultimately up to each individual hospital in saying what one can and cannot do.

Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it!

some questions:

what is the job outlook as far as surgery is concerned?
any problems w/n the health profession (i.e how have you been viewed as a podiatric surgeons with other DO/MD surgeons? curious)
can you work in a hospital setting as a pod surgeon?

thanks!

Hello,
I'm interested to know how much rearfoot/ankle procedures are performed in your practice? Also, do you treat the soft tissue up to the tibial tuberosity (depending on your state's laws of course)? Is it becoming more common for pods to do rearfoot/ankle work than in the past? I thought this would be the case recently since the majority of residency spots are 3 years in length and allow one to become "certified" in forefoot, rearfoot, ankle surgery.

I've heard on these forums that a number of pods will stick to mostly forefoot procedures and they are often called the "bread and butter" of the profession (bunions, hammertoes, neuromas, etc). The pros being they are often relatively quick procedures, can be done in-office or surgical suite, pay well, etc.

Also I read that rearfoot/ankle procedures are often more complicated, have longer healing time, often require general anesthesia, higher chance of post-op problems, etc. I understand that surgeries are under a "global fee" which includes post-op visits...so if you have a non-compliant patient or one that is not healing "well" then it can be a problem.

Overall, I'm wondering if there is enough opportunity for future pods to do rearfoot/ankle procedures or surgeries? I understand that 39 states include the ankle in the scope of practice but it is ultimately up to each individual hospital in saying what one can and cannot do.

Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it!

I can tell you that the Podiatrists in my group does about 1/3 of the surgeries are rearfoot and the remaining 2/3 of the surgeries are forefoot. We do tons of bunions and hammertoes. We also do quite a bit of neuroma excisions and EPFs. Since we are located in a community hospital that is not a trauma center, I don't get to see that many cool rearfoot fractures that people in level one trauma see. We do see some achilles tendon rupture, ankle fractures, calcaneal fractures, and oddly lisfranc fractures (which are supposedly rare). The remaining reconstructive rearfoot procedures depend on the what we get in the office. Majority of our patient with hindfoot or ankle arthritis do just fine with orthotics or bracing. Very few patients ever progress to a point where they have exhausted all conservative options and surgery is their only option. Perhaps, my group is more conservative than other Podiatry groups. This may be the fact that I am in one of the areas in the country that have very high malpractice risk area and many of the docs practice defensive medicine.

As for more pods doing ankle and rearfoot surgeries, I do believe that we will continue to see more pods doing ankle and rearfoot surgeries due to our improved surgical training. However, as it was pointed out in other forums and by you, your privileges at the hospital or surgery center is really based on the bylaws of the hospital or surgery center. Just because the state law says you can operate on the ankle, it does not mean that hospital will grant you that privilege if the hospital bylaws does not include Pods doing ankles. Of course, hospital bylaws can be changed over time.

In regards to Pods sticking to bread and butter surgery, well, in general, we see more people require forefoot surgery than rearfoot surgery. Hence, the bread and butter surgeriers are forefoot stuff, such as bunion, hammertoes, neuromas, etc....

I was talking to some of the older Podiatrists the other day. They told me that they used to do all of these rearfoot reconstructive surgeries. Howver, several of them have now cut back from doing those surgeries because it is not economical for them to do the surgery. WIth all of the time that you spend doing a major reconstructive rearfoot procedures and the postop visits, they will get paid more doing routine foot care for the same amount of time. Plus, they don't have to deal with the post op complications. For example, I did an Achilles Tendon Rupture repair on an HMO patient. I only got paid my capitation fee, which comes out to be $7.18 per patient, for the entire surgery and post op visits in the global period. So, if one was in an area where you have a lot of HMO patients (30 - 40% patient population are HMO), one may send those more complicated cases off to someone else, like an orthopod or a podiatrist willing to accept capitation fee for that surgery, to do that surgery since it really doesn't pay to do the surgery. Of course, if you are one of those surgeons who do not care how much you earn and you love doing surgery, then you should go on ahead and do the surgery.

I think that there are many opportunities for the Podiatrists to do rearfoot / ankle procedures. With the improvement in our surgical training, it will only help us further our profession.

some questions:

any problems w/n the health profession (i.e how have you been viewed as a podiatric surgeons with other DO/MD surgeons? curious)

thanks!

I think that the job outlook is great for Podiatric Surgery. There are many different types of opportunities available to Podiatric Surgeons. For example, there are Orthopedic groups that are hiring Podiatric Surgeon to service all of their Foot and Ankle Surgery needs.

I think that you have to realize that when you enter into the Podiatry profession, you will be spending some of your time educating the public and your colleagues and friends as to what a Podiatrist can do. I have came across Internal Medicine physicians who think that we only trim toenails / calluses/corns and render diabetic foot care. There are other physicians that know that we are the foot and ankle experts and have no problem sending all of the foot and ankle problems my way.

As a Podiatric Surgeon, you can work in the hospital settings. For example, Kaiser Health System does hire Podiatric Surgeons to work at their Kaiser hospitals. There are several hospitals that would help a Podiatrist to set up an office in the medical office building at the hospital to service all of the Podiatric needs for the hospital. For example, my group practice is actually in the medical office buiilding and we handle all of the hospital consults and ER calls for my hospital.

some questions:

thanks!

It has been my experience that a Podiatrist is accepted in the medical community but usually with a question mark. One has to earn respect from his MD/DO peers, and also from the general public. Once you demonstrate good outcomes, then the question mark goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.