Pod School Workouts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaseratiGT

Legilimens!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the deal guys/gals...

I'm a slight guy. Very thin. (It's my bones! :laugh:) Anyway - TUSPM has a weight room and I wanted to start working out so I can leave podiatry school diesel. Where can I find a good workout online? Is there anything anyone swears by? For those of you bulking up now, what are you eating?

I only seem to get toned, (I swim everyday), but my body just won't bulk up. Am I doomed to be the skinniest kid ever??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a slight guy. Very thin. (It's my bones! :laugh:) Anyway - TUSPM has a weight room and I wanted to start working out so I can leave podiatry school diesel. Where can I find a good workout online? Is there anything anyone swears by? For those of you bulking up now, what are you eating?

I only seem to get toned, (I swim everyday), but my body just won't bulk up. Am I doomed to be the skinniest kid ever??

i'm assuming you are a beginner, so starting off with any basic HIT (hypertrophy training) program will do wonders if you stick with it. the biggest problem i have seen with my friends and people who want to get big or lose weight is they do not want to put in the effort, or they do put in the effort but they quit after a few months because the results arent coming fast enough. it is that simple, if you smartly follow through with the program with dedication, in time you will see major differences. in high school around my junior year i went from a measly pathetic 125 pounds to 160 pounds of ripped rock hard muscle in about 1.5 years lol (fyi: i was about 5'10 tall). but i remember doing it alone and being the last one to leave the weight room.

at podiatry school it will be more difficult to do this but it is not impossible by no means. so i will say this: lift big, eat big, and sleep big. do your research online, there is no one program that is the best. go to bodybuilding. com and do one of the programs on there and read the articles on nutrition as well. that will get you off to a great start, just stick with it. then if you have more specific questions start asking them personally.

i'm assuming you are a beginner, so starting off with any basic HIT (hypertrophy training) program will do wonders if you stick with it.
While I won't go off on my usual "HIT" rant tonight, I would agree. As a beginner, pretty much anything would work for you. If you aren't a beginner, then a good program would be much more necessary. I have never been a big fan of bodybuilding.com, but like I said, anything will work for a beginner. I personally have no problem "bulking up" :), so I can't offer anything there. Now that I read my post, I never said anything worthwhile. A basic hypertrophy program would be 4-6 sets of around 12-15 reps for each exercise, choosing a few exercises or bodyparts to work each workout. There are about as many programs as there are people who work out. Good Luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

dude you're trying to get muscles.

i just hope i can lose all this belly stuff. lol
FRESHMAN 15 in grad. school? :laugh:

While I won't go off on my usual "HIT" rant tonight, I would agree. As a beginner, pretty much anything would work for you. If you aren't a beginner, then a good program would be much more necessary. I have never been a big fan of bodybuilding.com, but like I said, anything will work for a beginner. I personally have no problem "bulking up" :), so I can't offer anything there. Now that I read my post, I never said anything worthwhile. A basic hypertrophy program would be 4-6 sets of around 12-15 reps for each exercise, choosing a few exercises or bodyparts to work each workout. There are about as many programs as there are people who work out. Good Luck:thumbup:

haha i know, i felt weird typing it but as a beginner it will help a lot. i even throw HIT into my routines now and then just to shake things up, but not too often.

right now i am working out with kettlebells and incorporating olympic lifts with a few core lifts for strength. just the other day i saw some guy doing barbell curls in a squat rack and i wanted to scream.
time is kinda tight so i'm just going for some functional strength. a few months ago i was doing escalating density training (EDT) for size.
what kind of training do you do?

I looked up HIT training today and it looks...ummm...fun.

Yeah, loads of fun!

<end sarcasm>

I don't know if I can stick with it. I am the kind of person that needs instant pleasure. I'm going to work out once, see my same skinny arms, and give up. :laugh:

There ARE some benefits of being skinny, though. But I can't think of any right now.

well i'm a female so i don't know too much about this bulking up stuff, but why don't you try taking some whey protein products while you're working out? i heard that's supposed to help slim guys get bigger. but like i said before, i don't know too much about it..

well i'm a female so i don't know too much about this bulking up stuff, but why don't you try taking some whey protein products while you're working out? i heard that's supposed to help slim guys get bigger. but like i said before, i don't know too much about it..

I have heard that as well. I think I might try it.

I have heard that as well. I think I might try it.
Well, as far as whey protein goes, I would look at how much protein you are already getting in your diet. Most Americans get plenty. If you aren't getting enough, then add in some whey protein.
what kind of training do you do?
I am pretty simple in my training. I am pretty old fashioned too. I do mostly olympic lifts, and the basics (squats, deadlifts, a little bench press) and it seems to work out pretty good. It all depends on your goals though. For me, I just want to get stronger and be healthier. I am training a guy right now who is trying to pass his firefighter certification, so I use a different program for him. But in my opinion, for just getting bigger, stick with basic exercises and their variations. Think of it this way. The bigger muscles will give you a bigger percent mass gain. By that I mean that if you make your chest 10% bigger, you increase your overall size by let's say 2%. If you make your arms 10% bigger, you increase your overall size something like 0.5%:idea:Most of my experience comes from training people looking to get better athletically, so if someone has more experience training for size and muscle mass, feel free to chime in.

I think the MOST critical thing first is to start slow and make sure you are using proper technique. Don't put much stock into those preplanned workouts. Everybody is different. Start slowly and stay patient. Do basic workouts and take days off, sleep, and eat clean. I've never been a fan of machines. I've seen way too many people hurt their joints more than help on those. If you can find someone to show you how to do PROPER deadlifts, squats, bench and all that stuff then you'll be fine. I love olympic lifts and explosive stuff, but I find a lot of gyms don't allow it now. I'm an advocate of practical strength and fitness, which usually doesn't entail cranking away on the bench press all the time. One thing, as dorky and pointless as it seems, is to work on grip strength. It can be indirect when doing deadlifts, but a strong grip always seems to translate into better lifts in other areas. Once you reach a plateau you can start doing all the other stuff. Then you can do HIT, accommodating resistance or whatever else. I love working with bands and chains, but it is a good way to hurt yourself if you jump into it.

Since you are a skinny guy, you are probably going to have to just eat a lot. I've never been a fan of protein powders unless you absolutely need it. If I knew I couldn't get around food for a while then I'd make protein bars and munch on that to hold me over. But once again, the important thing is to stay safe and be patient. Don't jump in, load up plates, and kill yourself. Also, finding a partner with the same goals is great. Those days you don't feel like going to the gym get much fewer when you feel like you'll let someone else down.

I think the MOST critical thing first is to start slow and make sure you are using proper technique. Don't put much stock into those preplanned workouts. Everybody is different. Start slowly and stay patient. Do basic workouts and take days off, sleep, and eat clean. I've never been a fan of machines. I've seen way too many people hurt their joints more than help on those. If you can find someone to show you how to do PROPER deadlifts, squats, bench and all that stuff then you'll be fine. I love olympic lifts and explosive stuff, but I find a lot of gyms don't allow it now. I'm an advocate of practical strength and fitness, which usually doesn't entail cranking away on the bench press all the time. One thing, as dorky and pointless as it seems, is to work on grip strength. It can be indirect when doing deadlifts, but a strong grip always seems to translate into better lifts in other areas. Once you reach a plateau you can start doing all the other stuff. Then you can do HIT, accommodating resistance or whatever else. I love working with bands and chains, but it is a good way to hurt yourself if you jump into it.

Since you are a skinny guy, you are probably going to have to just eat a lot. I've never been a fan of protein powders unless you absolutely need it. If I knew I couldn't get around food for a while then I'd make protein bars and munch on that to hold me over. But once again, the important thing is to stay safe and be patient. Don't jump in, load up plates, and kill yourself. Also, finding a partner with the same goals is great. Those days you don't feel like going to the gym get much fewer when you feel like you'll let someone else down.
Wow, someone who I can agree with on pretty much everything you said! That has honestly never happened.:thumbup: Makes me feel like less of an idiot. But I am sure I will prove that I am an idiot in no time at all:p

I love olympic lifts and explosive stuff, but I find a lot of gyms don't allow it now.

those places don't even deserved to be call gyms.

it seems so many gyms today maximize mirrors, magazines around treadmills, and pointless machines. ex: [trainer at gym] "hi! do you want big muscles but don't want to work hard? who can blame you! here is one of our machines that suspends you upside down by your feet while you grab the glow in the dark machine bar below which you will then curl as it works your bicep muscle at a 43.87293817 degree angle using nano-diffuse technology to awaken your super neato dormant muscles that have been inactive for years with the least amount of effort! and here is a pill that makes you lose 20 pounds overnight"

I get my wife to blind fold me and drop me off in little Haiti with only a .45 and 3 bullets. I have to run home in time to get a shower, eat breakfast and be in class before 8:30. This workout will guarantee instant nut growth and will also put hair on your chest.

I get my wife to blind fold me and drop me off in little Haiti with only a .45 and 3 bullets. I have to run home in time to get a shower, eat breakfast and be in class before 8:30. This workout will guarantee instant nut growth and will also put hair on your chest.

lol!

:lol: That sounds like my kinda deal.

i graduated from undergrad in december and have since started working at the local home depot as a break from everything else. This requires me to lift tons of S@!# everyday and has really become my only workout. Well, that and golf every other day. I'm pretty skinny but have put on 30 lbs of muscle since beginning undergrad. Hopefully someone at DMU will be in my same boat so we can push each other on the muscle gaining route. I would love to add about another 20 lbs to what I am now.

I'm with the other guys who are in agreement. You want to add muscle mass, eat plenty, sleep plenty, and perform lifts that are around 70%-80% of your max anywhere from 6-12 reps. If you were a college athlete (this is the type of lifting I do) and didn't care about looks as much as performance, then I would recommend doing 85%-100% of your max, never doing more than 4 reps with nice 5 minute breaks between each set. If you want your max to increase, you gotta lift at or near your max on a weekly basis. Plus, studies have shown that up to 95% of your bodies ATP can be regenerated/re-synthesized (whatever you want to call it) within that 5 minute time period. No anaerobic respiration=no sore muscles (well, not AS sore) the next day.

Sorry about the little rant, probably should save any workout debate for a bodybuilding.com forum:)

I think that I'm giving up on being built. Too much physicality involved. Not to mention that I probably won't have the time during school to work out.

After residency, that's when I can start my second career as a model for muscle mags! :D

checkout the crossfit workouts at crossfit.com

If you just try to eat clean and get a few workouts in a week and maybe some running, you would stay in good shape.

checkout the crossfit workouts at crossfit.com

If you just try to eat clean and get a few workouts in a week and maybe some running, you would stay in good shape.

Agreed. I like the idea of running. I think I'll take that up. Maybe a bike...

I am going to be at Temple next year and I currently workout 3 days a week.....I'm not huge by any means but I am willing to workout with you and give you a few pointers.

I'm sure we will have similar schedules anyways so we will probably be lifting at the same times anyways.