PNWU vs Western Comp NW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already been accepted to PNWU, but also have an interview at Western in a month. I am having a difficult time deciding which school I would go to and which one would set me up with better residency choices. I know Western seems to be a more established school but the Oregon campus is fairly new. Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, at the COMP-NW interview they mentioned a curriculum change to make the curriculum flow more easily with board exam preparation. This can be a good thing, but curriculum changes may take some time to work the kinks out.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st year COMP NW here. Curriculum change will be minimal according to a prof that is on the curriculum committee. The only possible change is shortening the number of lectures to allow more study time.

Reactions: 1 user
1st year COMP NW here. Curriculum change will be minimal according to a prof that is on the curriculum committee. The only possible change is shortening the number of lectures to allow more study time.
edit: Apparently things moved along since I talked to that prof last. Sounds like the curriculum will be based how a lot of schools (MD and DO) are teaching or changing to: an integrated systems approach. Take it one body part at a time and learn everything about it. And instead of an exam every two weeks on say just neuro, it'll be a week of exams every 4-5 weeks on multiple topics. Apparently this is the teaching style a lot of med schools are changing to.

Reactions: 1 user
edit: Apparently things moved along since I talked to that prof last. Sounds like the curriculum will be based how a lot of schools (MD and DO) are teaching or changing to: an integrated systems approach. Take it one body part at a time and learn everything about it. And instead of an exam every two weeks on say just neuro, it'll be a week of exams every 4-5 weeks on multiple topics. Apparently this is the teaching style a lot of med schools are changing to.

How is that different from your current curriculum? other than the fact that you take exams every 4-5 weeks instead of after each system.