PNWU COM vs RVUCOM UT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emchickendoc

Reaction score
I have been accepted to both schools, but I am having such a hard time deciding. Here is why: I am from CA so I have no ties to either of these schools, so I cant really rely on choosing based off location. I guess I am leaning more towards WA because its on the west coast and I would like to return to CA for residency if possible. But I also don't want to make a mistake and regret RVU COM Utah. I have heard some things about the campus in Utah and I am hesitant about it. As for clinical rotations I have heard from students from both schools that it is a pain, so I cant narrow it down in this sense either :confused:. Another thing I am concerned about is the fact that since I don't have ties two these two areas , selecting rotation sites would probably be harder for me since both seem to be based off a lottery... I visited both schools as well to get a good sense, I would say that Utah was kind of a culture shock for me lol and Yakima was not as much of a shock. Basically both schools have its pros and cons and I am wracking my brain so much about this especially since I have to put down another deposit for RVU May 1. My ultimate goal would be to pursue EM maybe OB/GYN, but I am still unsure.

in summary, cant decide because :
- tuition price is pretty much the same
- both out of state , far from family
- both have issues with rotation sites
- PNWU board scores lower than natl avg
- RVU match was not as strong/ heard some issues about the match

I would appreciate any and all advice from current or past students, and please correct me if I am wrong about any of the "problems" I pointed out with both schools.
( sorry this was such a ramble o_O)

Members don't see this ad.

PNWU >>> RVU. From what I understand, the Utah campus for RVU has been very problematic in the past few years, and I wouldn't wanna touch with a $300k pole.

I was also accepted to RVU UT, I'm considering them compared to other acceptances since they had a super competitive match this year. However, the rotations do seem a bit lack luster.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI. I don't know why this info isn't public, I think this info is very helpful.
Utah rotation for 22-23:
Southern Utah (St. George area, I think)-32%
Utah Valley 22%
Weber 8%
Capital (SLC) 11%
Cache Vally 5%
Vernal 6%
Price 6%
Blackfoot, ID 2%
Evanston, Wy 4%
Show Low, AZ 2%

They also seem to be adding locations due to increase in class size. For example they recently added Brooklyn, NY.

Just an FYI. I don't know why this info isn't public, I think this info is very helpful.
Utah rotation for 22-23:
Southern Utah (St. George area, I think)-32%
Utah Valley 22%
Weber 8%
Capital (SLC) 11%
Cache Vally 5%
Vernal 6%
Price 6%
Blackfoot, ID 2%
Evanston, Wy 4%
Show Low, AZ 2%

They also seem to be adding locations due to increase in class size. For example they recently added Brooklyn, NY.
So third and fourth years are almost entirely spent away from the main campus?

I am also on the same boat picking between these two schools

Don't know if you're still thinking about this but I'm a rising OMS-III at RVCOM-UT, happy to answer any questions! I've had a great experience so I'm not super sure what people are talking about. @BobaBoy feel free to message me as well.

Reactions: 1 user