PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A1cfox21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just wondering if the different branches had PM&R docs? For that matter, what specialties are NOT used by the military? Just wanted to see what I couldn't do in the military.

Members don't see this ad.

A1cfox21 said:
So I was just wondering if the different branches had PM&R docs? For that matter, what specialties are NOT used by the military? Just wanted to see what I couldn't do in the military.

I can only speak for the Army but below are the residencies currently sponsored. I imagine that the AF/Navy are the same since they run full service tertiary care centers and we all share the National Cap Cons.

Aerospace,Anesthesiology,Dermatology,EMed,FP,Surg,Medicine,Neurology,Peds Neurology,Neurosurgery,OB-GYN,Occupational,Ophthalmology,Ortho,ENT,Path,
Peds,PM&R,Prev/Occu Med,Prev/PH Med,Psychiatry,Psych/FP,Psych/Medicine,
Rad Onc,Rads,Urology

UltimateDO said:
I can only speak for the Army but below are the residencies currently sponsored. I imagine that the AF/Navy are the same since they run full service tertiary care centers and we all share the National Cap Cons.

Aerospace,Anesthesiology,Dermatology,EMed,FP,Surg,Medicine,Neurology,Peds Neurology,Neurosurgery,OB-GYN,Occupational,Ophthalmology,Ortho,ENT,Path,
Peds,PM&R,Prev/Occu Med,Prev/PH Med,Psychiatry,Psych/FP,Psych/Medicine,
Rad Onc,Rads,Urology

Cool. I know I'll be back in the Military at some point in a healthcare field. It's good to know I can do any one of these. I would imagine the AF/Navy are these same, but if anyone knows any different can you let us know. Also, are all these specialties available in military residencies? If I'm going to use my prior service, I might as well do a military residency and retire at a decent age. Thanks again!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
A1cfox21 said:
Cool. I know I'll be back in the Military at some point in a healthcare field. It's good to know I can do any one of these. I would imagine the AF/Navy are these same, but if anyone knows any different can you let us know. Also, are all these specialties available in military residencies? If I'm going to use my prior service, I might as well do a military residency and retire at a decent age. Thanks again!!!!

The Navy does not offer PM&R or Rad/Onc residencies; however, there are a couple of physicians in those fields in the Navy.

backrow said:
The Navy does not offer PM&R or Rad/Onc residencies; however, there are a couple of physicians in those fields in the Navy.

Navy docs apply through the other services or FTOS/FD. But there has to be a "needs of the navy" decision by big navy before you are granted these. Also it is my understanding that Army has one program? It may be better for you to do the FAP program and get your training as a civilian.

Over the past few years, the army pm&r program has been very competitive to match into (unlike most civilian programs).