PM&R with a below average Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patelr.93

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Step 2 scores came out earlier this week. Turns out I didn't do as well as I wanted. Thought I would come on here and see if anyone had a similar experience and was successful in matching PM&R. I am a DO student. My current plan is to apply broadly to PM&R and also be dual applying with IM. I'll put my stats below. Thanks!

Preclinical: No Fails or repeats
Step1/Level1: Pass, 1 attempt
Research: MS thesis in bioengineering and undergrad in ultrasound drug delivery, medical school research in urology. 3 pubs, with 2 first authors
Volunteering: food bank, hospital, school free clinic, (I can work on this month as I'm on an academic medicine rotation)
Clinical years: No failures, HP all core rotations except honors in OBGYN, and Ortho Surg.
Evals: nothing bad, good ones OBGYN, IM, FM, PMR elective, Ortho Surg
Letters: FM, PMR, and OBGYN
Step2: 224, Level 2: waiting
4th year auditions/electives: IU PMR, Marianjoy PMR, and University Hosptial Cleveland PMR

Members don't see this ad.

Your score likely won’t keep you out. It’s not bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply. I am definitely going to start reaching out to programs that I am within the 25-50% of the matched residents from 2022. Do you have any suggestions that I could work on to improve my app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I am definitely going to start reaching out to programs that I am within the 25-50% of the matched residents from 2022. Do you have any suggestions that I could work on to improve my app?

Do well on auditions. Wouldn’t hurt to get another PM&R LOR (assuming strong). Do well on your PS.

Reactions: 1 user