PM&R vs Radiology .. Help !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GamerTheRock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

How are you? I'm an MS4 I applied to PM&R and Radiology. I'm really having difficulty coming down to which specialty I should go towards. Looking for some sort of direction to make my decision a little bit easier. I would like to know the following :

1 -What you think the future for the field holds?

2 -How hard is it to get a pain fellowship? - I enjoy doing procedures

3- What type of field can you end up working in after you complete your training? ( inpatient, outpatient, rehab, etc ) .. FLEXIBILITY (Life/work). ?

4- What is the average compensation like? - I am from the tri-state east coast

6 - Something you could change about the field or don't enjoy?

Thank you, Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Match day is like a month away. Why are you making this decision now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

How are you? I'm an MS4 I applied to PM&R and Radiology. I'm really having difficulty coming down to which specialty I should go towards. Looking for some sort of direction to make my decision a little bit easier. I would like to know the following :

1 -What you think the future for the field holds?

2 -How hard is it to get a pain fellowship? - I enjoy doing procedures

3- What type of field can you end up working in after you complete your training? ( inpatient, outpatient, rehab, etc ) .. FLEXIBILITY (Life/work). ?

4- What is the average compensation like? - I am from the tri-state east coast

6 - Something you could change about the field or don't enjoy?

Thank you, Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I made the change from Rads to PM&R. I hated Rads once in it - maybe hate is too strong of a word, but disliked it. Rads has gone 24/7, with weekends, nights, etc. Also lots of volume - studies keep coming particularly with midlevels not knowing much and ordering whole body imaging to rule out everything. Procedures - mostly in IR. IR is brutally hard to get into. Compensation for general rads is higher than PM&R but obviously a lot more work. If you work hard in some instanes in PM&R you can get close ish to it but still - it tends to be harder to get similar income.

In terms of Pain - getting into pain fellowship is hard although probably not as hard as IR. With PM&R except in certain saturated markets, you can still do procedures in general practices but of course the pay tends to be lower than if you did pain/IR.

It ultimately comes down to what do you want to do - see patietns daily, do some procedures, possibly inpatient, vs read studies all day? IR also can potentially be challenging in terms of hours - if someone needs an emergent whatever procedure at 3am, you might be called in. You will never go in for an emergent SIJ injection. :)

Personal choice. Good luck!

You will never go in for an emergent SIJ injection. :)

But you will get called by phone triage at midnight because Miss Jones, who has no radiographic low back abnormalities, need an emergent Lortab prescription. :)

Reactions: 1 user
But you will get called by phone triage at midnight because Miss Jones, who has no radiographic low back abnormalities, need an emergent Lortab prescription. :)
[/QUOTE

Haha, yes but at least you can order that by phone . I recently got a call while on call at like 1plus in the morning for a prelim microbiology that had been posted 2 days prior for a common bug. Nurse is like - doc you want to do something about it? Ugh.

isnt it too late?

if you match either rads or pmr, it's binding no? per acgme contract.