PM&R competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the competition like for obtaining a PM&R residency. Step scores and any other advice out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on doing pain management out of PM&R....?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the idea of PM&R to Pain Med. I spoke casually with docs about physiatrists in Pain fellowships and I got the impression that there is discrimination amongst specialties (the two other most common being Neurology and Anesthesia; whereas Int Med and Psych found there way into a less programs).
I can't tell you if the data is out there in terms of competition for Pain Med, but would appreciate any information you (or anyone else) can post.

What's the competition like for obtaining a PM&R residency. Step scores and any other advice out there.

More competitive than it used to be, not as competitive as most specialties. PM&R usually ranks near the bottom in average board scores. PM&R looks for candidates who know what the specialty is about and are passionate about doing it. It is a unique specialty that requires a certain frame of mind. If you are a US grad, and interested in PM&R, you have to be a pretty bad applicant not to match.

Any thoughts on doing pain management out of PM&R....?

Pain is part of PM&R. We treat pain every day. Some choose to do Pain fellowships. Unfortunately for PM&R residents, most ACGME-accredited (all?) fellowships are run by Anesthesia. Some anesthesia departments discriminate and only, or preferentially take anesthesia grads. By ACGME rules, they have to accept applications from anyone with an ACGME-approved residency. But they are not forced to hire the same way.

There are many non-ACGME-accredited fellowships out there.

US-IMG with 234/241 step scores first try, PM&R specific letters, was told i interviewed well ,and had a good essay. i failed to match today...that's how competitive :(

I'm PMR doing acgme anes pain next year. Pain is definitely predominantly run by anesthesia but we are a close second. It seems younger staff really appreciate what we bring to the subspecialty.

There are a couple PMR run acgme programs. Colorado, VCU, Temple, UCLA VA come to mind.

Apply broadly and have some research and definitely have letters from anesthesiologists if you want to get into an anes pain program.

US-IMG with 234/241 step scores first try, PM&R specific letters, was told i interviewed well ,and had a good essay. i failed to match today...that's how competitive :(

That sucks. I hope you can get in somewhere with the scramble, or at least get a PGY1. Where did you do med school?

Sorry man. I'm sure you will get picked up somewhere during the scramble. I know easier said than done but stay positive.

That sucks. I hope you can get in somewhere with the scramble, or at least get a PGY1. Where did you do med school?

i went to AUC. i think im most dejected cus the interviews i had were at good programs, and i ranked 11 total. i didnt think id be in this position. just trying to keep my chin up right now...i really wanted pm&r

i went to AUC. i think im most dejected cus the interviews i had were at good programs, and i ranked 11 total. i didnt think id be in this position. just trying to keep my chin up right now...i really wanted pm&r

Tough break. Keep the faith and good luck in the scramble!