Please read me, I need good advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beatnik10884

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Warning : long post

I was wondering what you guys think about my plans:

I plan to complete the last year of course work for my degree in bio this upcoming year (summer 05 through summer 06), ideally i would like to start dental school fall 07, does this mean i should go ahead and apply this summer (2005)? When exactly should i apply, to be considered early? I plan on applying to MCG,Chapel Hill,and BU (these are the only schools i have actually researched and spoken with). When should i take the DAT? i will complete o.chem 2 and Bio 2 this spring (2005)

And finally what other schools do you think i should consider applying to...here are my number so far...3.4 GPA (49 hrs) 3.2 science, I still have to find a dentist to let me shadow, no luck there.

This semester i am taking bio 1 o.chem 1 and some other classes (13hrs) and next semester i plan on taking bio 2 ochem 2 and physics 2..in case this makes any difference.

so what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're a good candidate for the 2006 application cycle (the one after this one). You've gotten into the game early, which is really good! The best time to submit your app will be in May or June of 2005, and then you would matriculate in Fall of 2006. Do your best in all your classes and try to get all As if you can. You can take the DAT any time, and maybe early in the summer of 2005 is your best bet for that (you want to get in as many relevant courses as you can before you take it).

HTH and best of luck!

I agree. Send in your AADSAS application in May/June the year before you plan to matriculate (e.g. May 2005 for the class of 2006) and take the DAT around the same time. Are you willing to consider applying to some private schools as well? If so I would add Nova and Case to the list. As far as shadowing is concerned, you can always flip open the phone book and do it cold turkey, or you can ask around with some of the other pre-dental students and see if they have any good recommendations. Best of luck in the coming year and keep up the good work!

Members don't see this ad :)
Best advice you'll get is here at SDN. I agree with everyone above.

To build upon what Sprgrover mentioned about the shadowing, you need to realize that your acceptance will not solely be based upon your GPA and DAT scores. Some factors that have been mentioned as important aspects of a well rounded application are: leadership activities, community service, volunteer work, shadowing, research,.... anything that will help you stand out from the rest of the applicants will be a plus.

I would recommend using this next year as an oppurtunity to get some shadowing and community service/volunteer hours that will help strengthen your application come next spring. If nothing else get some shadowing hours, as some schools have specific amounts of "shadowing hours" that they are looking for in applicants. Also seek out information regarding the schools that you may want to apply to next year so that you can focus your activities to meet those standards.

To the OP:

Like many other pre-dents that I have met, you sound very driven, and excited about dentistry. As well you should be, dentistry is a great career. However, you need to be certain that it is the right career for you by getting in and shadowing some dentists. Sounds like you have a pretty tough load at school, but it will be worth it to you. As you see what operating your own practice is like first hand it will help keep you motivated to keep doing well in your classes (like o-chem) even when the going is tough. It may also remove any doubts or questions you may have about the career.

good luck :thumbup: