Please pray for doors to be opened for me......any help appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aryya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was forced to resign from a residency in my final year. I was also pregnant and wanted a safe delivery. Many people were outraged at what happened to me, but powerless to prevent it. It's been two years since and I keep trying for residency positions. I am not getting in. There are always fresh candidates. What can I do so that I will be a practicing physician soon? Are my chances as bleak as I feel on certain days? What are my alternative choices?

I had gone into the previous program with much hope and faith and worked sincerely. I suppose certain attendings wanted me out. It is sad how far reaching their actions have on my life. Every day, I look to God to walk in faith and believe that I am meant to go out among the community and serve. I had wanted to be a doctor for so long. To have come so far along and then have doors closed in my face tells me that Jesus needs to intervene and show me the right way. I ask all those who read this to say a prayer for me and ask God to bless me and my household. Also, any advice/help would be appreciated. Thank you.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Be merciful to me, O Lord; for I cry to You daily. .[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Psa 86:3.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Then Jesus spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart .[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Luke 18:1.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that and you are in my prayers. Good luck with you. That must be heartbreaking.

what specialty? call around and see if a doctor will hire you on board after you get licensed in a particular state, (i dont know if it is that rare but there may be some kind docs out there) or you could do h&p's for insurance companies while waiting for residency. it's not the greatest, but at least it is something to do in the meantime.
when applying, try other specialties. also, you may qualify for a pgy2 in something if you were in IM or surgery.

:luck:

I can definitely relate to how you feel. I sincerely wish things work out for you. Although I cannot help myself regarding residency placement, I'm grateful and humbled to say that I've had the ability to help many achieve residency positions. I know people that may have the capacity to help you, and if you feel comfortable, feel free to PM me with your CV and any other information you may feel be useful, and I assure you I will do all that I can to help. Please know, I would not offer this if the people I've helped are still in the same boat as me. Take care and best wishes.

- some dude with a degree he can't use (sarcasm at it's finest)

you can practice in Oklahoma. Oklahoma medical board requires only 1 year of ACGME accredited residency. I hope this will help.

I want to thank you all for your prayers and sympathy. To answer the questions, I was in a neurology program. As for license, I can get the license in many states but who will hire me on with near completion of a residency? Hence, I would really like to finish a residency. What are the chances that I can get a position in pediatrics or family practice or psychiatry during this upcoming match? How can I ensure that I will increase my chances to get many interviews? I am again going to try joining the match and hope I will have better luck this time. After all, this is a country that trusts in God, and so like the forefathers of America, I persevere inspite of some dark days......
Thank you for your support and encouragement.

I was forced to resign from a residency in my final year. I was also pregnant and wanted a safe delivery. Many people were outraged at what happened to me, but powerless to prevent it. It's been two years since and I keep trying for residency positions. I am not getting in. There are always fresh candidates. What can I do so that I will be a practicing physician soon? Are my chances as bleak as I feel on certain days? What are my alternative choices?

I had gone into the previous program with much hope and faith and worked sincerely. I suppose certain attendings wanted me out. It is sad how far reaching their actions have on my life. Every day, I look to God to walk in faith and believe that I am meant to go out among the community and serve. I had wanted to be a doctor for so long. To have come so far along and then have doors closed in my face tells me that Jesus needs to intervene and show me the right way. I ask all those who read this to say a prayer for me and ask God to bless me and my household. Also, any advice/help would be appreciated. Thank you.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Be merciful to me, O Lord; for I cry to You daily. .[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Psa 86:3.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Then Jesus spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart .[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial]Luke 18:1.

why did they do that to you? what did you do to piss them off?

Hey Arrya,

I hope and pray that everything goes well for you. Just wondering, what are your plans, are you applying again from the beginning for residency, or are you applying for random vacancies that pop up?

I was forced to resign from a residency in my final year. I was also pregnant and wanted a safe delivery.

Err... maybe I'm missing something... but what does residency have to do with having a safe delivery?

Plenty of pregnant residents working until they nearly pop.
Was your residency program physically abusive?

To answer your questions....I did not do anything terrible. I just know there was a lot of anger, frustration and lack of trust experienced by the residents and faculty. I hope it has gotten better for everyone's sake.

Yes, lots of residents have delivered but my family thought that the way things were going.....that it's best to resign. I suppose my pregnancy was an important factor for them as they have waited a long time for this baby to enter our lives. Believe me, if it was solely my decision to make, I would have finished off my residency.

I am applying to random open positions . I hope my story helps others in a positive manner. If you are in a residency that is giving you a tough time, please find a trusted and experienced mentor to help you. Just be sure that the speciality you chose is what you really want to practice and communicate in an effective manner with the people around you. The alternative is to find another residency and that is tougher. Good luck.

Do you have a letter from your old PD? Do you know what it says?
I'm sorry that you are in this tough situation. Hope things work out for you this year.

I think that resigning without another position lined up is almost never the right thing to do, because it is so hard for residents who get fired or resign to get another spot. However, what's done is done.

I think you should think about what you really want to do. Primary care? Psych? Be a hospitalist? Be a neurologist? Psych actually has quite a bit of overlap with neurology, IM and fp have some overlap too. You should apply ASAP for open positions, not just in the Match but also on findaresident, perhaps openspots, etc. I hope your family is ready to move with you - they need to get behind you 100% if you want to finish a residency, because residency is NOT easy, as you experiences. Of the ones you mentioned, psych generally has the best hours and call schedule, so if you have a lot of family responsibility it might be the best one. Fp also tends to have less call that IM because fp does more outpatient stuff, but they also have to do ob/gyn call, which I personally would find harrowing. IM does more ICU months, however.

I think it is very important in residency to find a group of people you can work with well, since personality conflicts can really cause you to be thrown under the bus, as you are the lower one on the totem pole (as opposed to the nurses and attendings and hospital administrators).

Wish you the best of luck in finding a residency spot. Are you only applying locally or are you willing to move. I am surprised that your pregnancy was an issue. Generally personal "reproductive freedom" is something most PDs would not want to get involved with due to potential repercussion to the residency program (e.g. ACGME getting involved).

However, I know of a former trainee who is rumored to have timed her pregnancy based on her rotation schedule (preassigned) so she would not have to take in house call and others house staff on the same service ended up q3 instead of usual q4. To this day, her former colleagues still have negative feelings about her. Life is hard as a resident and even harder if you have plans on starting a family..at the end, something has to give.

Hey, I'm sorry that you are going through such a tough time. I just know from past experienes that when apparently bad things happen, they are many times blessings in disguise. I just didn't realize what G-d was trying to tell me at the time.

If I were in your shoes, I would personally probably consider medical consulting. Much better lifestyle and you'd have time to spend with the baby and your family. If you feel that your passion lies in practicing clinical medicine though, that's a different story. Good luck and hang in there.