Please I need help VERY low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a11790

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I really need help now coz I'm in a bad situation. I graduated with a cumulative g.p.a of 2.32 and I want to pursue starting a career in the U.S. The point here is do I stand any chance of getting accepted to any dental school in the U.S.??If i sent my transcript to the ECE evaluation will my GPA go much lower more?? (considering that gpa includes the electives also)Do they include electives in the evaluation record?? I did repeat some courses...so are these repeated courses considered?? Will applying for any diploma degrees,fellowships or master degrees in my country strengthen my CV and give me some hope in getting accepted into U.S dental schools?? And should I better apply to private dental schools to have some hope for acceptance?? I know unfortunately now the NBDE does not show scores but only pass/fail and this does hurt my chances even more. I am also considering to do an MFDS or GDC licence exam in the future to include as part of my CV and do some observership. I really need your help please..I will be thankful in being understanding and giving me some useful tips.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Your GPA is definitely on the lower end, but it doesn't mean that there's no point. It just means that you have to work harder and smarter than others to have the schools consider you despite the fact.
You'll need to get an ECE evaluation to even take the boards, and if you have detailed questions regarding how they evaluate scores it's probably best to ask them directly.
I know you have a lot of questions and unknowns, start from one thing at a time and the first step for you will be to get the ECE done to see where things are at. Where to apply etc comes later, much later down the road.. It's a long and tough journey, so be ready for it.

Good luck!

Hey there,

Your GPA is definitely on the lower end, but it doesn't mean that there's no point. It just means that you have to work harder and smarter than others to have the schools consider you despite the fact.
You'll need to get an ECE evaluation to even take the boards, and if you have detailed questions regarding how they evaluate scores it's probably best to ask them directly.
I know you have a lot of questions and unknowns, start from one thing at a time and the first step for you will be to get the ECE done to see where things are at. Where to apply etc comes later, much later down the road.. It's a long and tough journey, so be ready for it.

Good luck!

Hi thank you for replying and giving me some hope. But I do have some concerns here... I need a solution to this problem. The point is how to treat this problem??? Like I stated should I move on with some kind of post graduate degree or that would be a waste of time??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't 'a solution' to this 'problem', or any problems to that matter. Applications aren't so simple.
If you're looking for an answer simply to "has anyone with a low GPA gotten in?", the answer is yes.
Getting a post graduate degree is one way to approach it, I wouldn't call it a waste of time. You first need to decide whether you really want a US license or not. It's not easy and it sometimes does take several years, which is why I say your first decision and commitment is important. If the answer is yes, you go from there. If the answer is maybe, or preferably, I'd say do some thinking first. If you really are committed, there'll be a way.
If you'd like to discuss your situation in depth with me we could do so through a strategy session, which you can book through my website (link below).

@FTD Mentor:
Do post graduate studies are evaluated by the ECE? and do these make a sum to your Dentistry GPA or they are different? sorry for these dumb questions, It's just that I'm not familiar with the GPA system, and also concerned by my Low Dentistry GPA, but putting heart and soul into postgraduate, Currently I have something like 3.8 at my PG :S

@FTD Mentor:
Do post graduate studies are evaluated by the ECE? and do these make a sum to your Dentistry GPA or they are different? sorry for these dumb questions, It's just that I'm not familiar with the GPA system, and also concerned by my Low Dentistry GPA, but putting heart and soul into postgraduate, Currently I have something like 3.8 at my PG :S

You will have separate GPAs, one for Graduate Dental program, and another for the post graduate, they will be both on your ECE report, but as separate numbers.

I had a 3.14 grad, and a 3.94 post grad GPAs, I don't know how much of a role each one plays on admissions process. I've heard that some schools completely ignore the post grad GPA, they take into consideration the fact that you have a post grad but not the GPA, and that other schools take both into consideration... But once again it depends and varies every year for pretty much every program, no one except for those directly involved in the admissions process to know for sure.... =/