please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muanevis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just took step 1 for the 3rd time and i think i failed again. i feel completely lost and frustrated now and dont know what to do. is there anyone out there that has been in my situation? if so, what did you do differently? maybe this medicine thing just isnt for me, but i cant see myself doing anything else. i have never used this forum before but hopefully you guys out there can share some advice. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey muanevis,
First of all try to relax! If you still don't have your scores there is no reason to freak out. A lot of people come out of the exam thinking they've failed and yet the pass.
What books did you originally use?

i actually took the extended prep from kaplan and felt very confident with the course. it was a long course and covered everything in detail so i felt good going into the exam. the reason i think i failed is cuz i tried to register for step 1 again and its letting me register for it again, which i was told if you pass the website wont let you register again, thus im assuming i failed. after putting in so much time and effort and emotions i just dont know if i can go through all that again.

Right now, you need to calm down since you haven't gotten your official score report yet. If you really have failed for the third time, it's time to see your Dean and talk about your options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you need to calm down. I passed step 1 more than 6 months ago, and the website is also letting me re-register for step 1. I don't know where that "re-registering rumor" came from, but it is INCORRECT. Wait until you get your score report before you stress out too much.

Best of Luck!

Are you an international student/graduate or American student? If you are an IMG I might have some advice that may be helpful.

ok i got my score report and i did fail. this totally sucks. to the last post i went to school in the caribbean and currently in the middle of my surgery rotation here in the states. any advice is greatly appreciated. to the others that have already responded thank you!

Don`t give up!!!! this time study for atleast 5-6 months using BRS books for physio & path with Q bank ( do it 3 times). Use kaplan notes for biochem, micro , immuno & the rest. GOOD LUCK.:) :) :)

For some reason most of the IMGs I know that have taken Kaplan prep courses for USMLE step 1 have failed the test or barely passed.
I stayed away for that particular reason. Though I do highly recommend Q Bank. However, I used it as a supplementary resource and I also used it to gauge the progress of my studies.
I have been an average sort of a student, never too bright, therefore if I passed step 1 (rather comfortably), I am sure you will be able to do so as well.

I used the following study materials:
BRS for path and phys
Ridiculously Simple for micro + First Aid
High Yield for behavioral science, neuroanatomy, cell and molecular biology, immunology
First Aid for pharmacology, anatomy, biochemistry

One common mistake that I feel many of us make is not memorizing the material. Just reading and re-reading through the above books would not have been enough for me personally. Although, I did not memorize every topic of each book listed above, I did more than a fair share of rote memorization for Step 1.
Good luck.