Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feredizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a quick question:

I would like to kow my chances of getting in these schools:
Howard, Gtown, VCU, UVA, GW, UMD, EVMS, Hawaii, SUNY downstate,

Here is something about me:
Chemistry Major in accelerated masters program
MCAT 33
GPA 3.68
sGPA 3.59
Research:
PChem
Epilepsy
Both are ongoing

Clinical:
ER Scribe
Shadowed an anesthesiologist for three years with direct patient contact.

Volunteering:
Volunteered at a high school and tutored ESL students in particular
Created an orginization that tutors primarily students that cannot afford SAT/ACT prep

Employment:
I work four jobs to pay tuition and support mom overseas
Karate instructor; particularly work with children that have learning disabilities
Scribe ER
Private tutor ( I am tutoring the dean of student affairs of Gtown SOM) i dont know if that helps
Overnight manager at the gym

Extra things:
Live in Va but a Canadian citizen, getting greencard in two years.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a quick question:

I would like to kow my chances of getting in these schools:
Howard, Gtown, VCU, UVA, GW, UMD, EVMS, Hawaii, SUNY downstate,

Here is something about me:
Chemistry Major in accelerated masters program
MCAT 33
GPA 3.68
sGPA 3.59
Research:
PChem
Epilepsy
Both are ongoing

Clinical:
ER Scribe
Shadowed an anesthesiologist for three years with direct patient contact.

Volunteering:
Volunteered at a high school and tutored ESL students in particular
Created an orginization that tutors primarily students that cannot afford SAT/ACT prep

Employment:
I work four jobs to pay tuition and support mom overseas
Karate instructor; particularly work with children that have learning disabilities
Scribe ER
Private tutor ( I am tutoring the dean of student affairs of Gtown SOM) i dont know if that helps
Overnight manager at the gym

Extra things:
Live in Va but a Canadian citizen, getting greencard in two years.
Your chances will be much higher if you wait until you have permanent resident status. Have you looked at an MSAR to see how few internationals some of those schools accept? If you are in a hurry, I suggest you add maybe 10 more schools to your list to improve the odds. A higher BCPM would help as well. Your ECs already look good.

Do you have the strong state ties to Hawaii that they expect?

So I went to majority of these schools and they said they consider me on the basis of in state because I work more than 40 hours a week and on G-4 visa, I am paying in state here in Virginia already. As it comes with Hawaii I am applying in the basis that thu have taken Canadians in the past. I can't apply to twenty schools I don't have that much cash.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean you would pay in-state tuition if accepted to a Virginia med school? That would be awesome.

If you would indeed be considered in-state for Virginia schools, then your chances for schools in that state should be what it would for a citizen or permanent resident. Of those applying with a 3.68/33 in the past three years, about 78% received an acceptance. UVirginia is a reach for you, but the other two are in your target zone stats-wise.

What did Virginia Tech say?

The impression that vcu gave me that yes I would be in state. I attend a in state college here and pay in state currently so I would say why not pay In state for med school. Virginia tech does not take Canadians or internationals at all. I know UVA doesn't but do you think if my employment will play a part in their consideration? Thanks u r the best

1) The impression that vcu gave me that yes I would be in state. I attend a in state college here and pay in state currently so I would say why not pay In state for med school.
2) Virginia tech does not take Canadians or internationals at all. I know UVA doesn't but do you think if my employment will play a part in their consideration?
1) Don't make assumptions. Med schools can follow their own rules about what they consider in-state and how they charge for tuition. They may feel: why not collect OOS tuition if you can in these difficult economic times.

2) It can happen that a state will consider internationals to be state residents for all purposes, even without a greencard. I don't know the specific policy of each Virginia school, but it would obviously be in your better interests to have two more schools to apply to that will give you consideration. And I'd think it would be in your favor that you are paying state taxes out of your pay check. I suggest you call and be persistent until you talk to a person who definitively knows each school's exact policy.

Also be aware that some schools will continue to consider you as international (for tuition purposes) even after you get a greencard if you were international at the time you submitted your application.

In addition, if you are considered international, some med schools require that you deposit 1-4 years of med school tuition money in an escrow account to prove you can afford it. As an international, you cannot qualify for federal loans, so you'd have to find an alternative source of funding. It's important to know all this ahead of time so you can properly strategize whether to wait for the greencard or not before you apply.