Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike

I am a senior at a competitive northeastern liberal arts college and I desperately want to go to med school some time in the near future. My GPA is 3.0 cum and maybe 3.1 science. I will be finishing my pre-med reqs this summer and taking the MCAT next spring. What would I need to do to get into a reputable off-shore med school or even a UK school. I am also very interested in osteopathy, would my chances be better in that route. Thanks

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if you want to practice in the US it will be easier for you as a US allo or osteopathic grad. You will notice that I didn't say that you would get an inferior education if you go offshore. There are some good schools out there, and you should investigate this thoroughly. Your gpa is a little low, but if you can get a high score on the mcat you will be accepted in the US. Remember that low gpa + high mcat = acceptance, and high gpa + low mcat = rejection. Bust that mcat and you won't have anything to worry about! Good luck!

Mike,

The fact is that your gpa is a fair bit below the average for US osteopathic schools as well as the UK schools. Do not assume that all foreign medical schools are easier to get into; a 3.0/3.1 will not get you into a UK school any easier than it will a US school. Your chances are greater at an osteopathic school BUT your gpa is still substantially lower than the average for them.

However, every year there are individuals who succeed in getting in with such a gpa. It is admittedly a *very* small percentage of those who apply with such numbers. Most will have to have something else stellar on their apps to warrant accepting them - a phenomenal MCAT, being an URM, extracurriculars, etc. Has your gpa increased substantially over the last 2 years - ie, is there an improving trend? This will make a major difference if your lower grades are a few years behind you.

You should certainly attempt to gain admission to a US school should that be your preference. However, I think it will be making things a lot easier on yourself if you were to raise your gpa by taking some more classes. A great MCAT will certainly help things, but it is not a RULE that low gpa+high MCAT = acceptance; just a trend or observation.

best of luck and let us know if you have any more queries.

------------------
PGY1
Penn State University
Department of Surgery

[This message has been edited by Kimberli Cox (edited April 24, 2001).]