Please help, What are my chances!! In need of some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a 24 years old finishing my degree in Biology and public health from a private university in NY. My undergrad gpa is about 3.1 and premed reqs are:
General Biology 1: A
General Biology 2: b+
Gen chem 1 class B-
Gen chem 1 lab A
Gen chem 2 class B-
Gen chem 2 lab 2
Organic Chem 1: c+
Organic Chem 2: c
Physics 1: C
Physics 2: B
Biochemistry 1: B
--------------------------------------------------
Overall GPA is 3.1
With that said, should I do a post bac? or take another BS degree in Medical biotech which can be completed in 2 years, or do a post-bac and finish it in one year and then apply?
I have strong volunteering and shadowing activities and worked full time while in school and helped opened a family business. I came to the US 5 years ago and did not know the system very well and had to change many majors and courses. I've emailed RUSM and they have said you should take the MCAT and apply you seem to have a chance there but it raises many red flags to me.

Members don't see this ad.

A post bacc at a local college in the coming year would help. You need additional science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . You should also take the MCAT by next June but do not take until your practice scores are consistently above 500.

A post bacc at a local college in the coming year would help. You need additional science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . You should also take the MCAT by next June but do not take until your practice scores are consistently above 500.
Thanks, That really helps. I will try to do a post-bac in Biomedical sciences and then apply. Would my undergrad GPA play a role if I have good post-bac grades? Will schools rely mostly on the post-bac grades?

Your undergraduate grades will always be visible but if you do well in the post bac and MCAT you can partly make up for the undergraduates grades. With a cGPA and sGPA over 3.2 and a MCAT of 505 or higher you would have a chance for interviews at many of the newer DO schools.