This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPlover03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with this decision. I've been accepted to all three and having a hard time figuring which is best.
Background info: I have a husband and 2 year old son. Husband will need a job, we have to find a daycare for our son, and a house to rent. Moving from a metropolitan area with access to whatever we need. It's important that my husband can enjoy where we are.

VCOM-auburn:
PROS: enjoyed interview day, loved the school and the overall atmosphere, felt like it could be home, access to auburn facilities, multiple state parks and things to do for my outdoor-loving husband to enjoy
CONS: unsure about access to rotations without having to relocate for a period of time, limited history with board scores, mandatory attendance and dress code (I have to wear professional clothes on a daily basis now and god i hate it)

KCU-joplin:
PROS: beautiful school, awesome board scores with their history in kansas city (but do i need to separate that since it's a different site), 2 huge hospitals for rotations that we won't have to move for, no dress code or mandatory attendance
CONS: brand new site, not a fan of the area, not much for my husband to do, limited daycare options, high crime rate, gave zero information about 3rd and 4th year on interview day

ATSU-KCOM:
PROS: well established, good school, beautiful area and awesome weather (love the cold) loveddddd the nearby state park, husband really liked it, no dress code
CONS: it's in the middle of nowhere, like one grocery store and few restaurants for quick food. limited job opportunities for husband, limited daycares, have to move again for rotations

please help. any advice and information will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The reputational difference are diminutive in this case.

Do the math on husband not working compounded. Its probably worth bollox like mandatory attendance and dress code.

I'm struggling with this decision. I've been accepted to all three and having a hard time figuring which is best.
Background info: I have a husband and 2 year old son. Husband will need a job, we have to find a daycare for our son, and a house to rent. Moving from a metropolitan area with access to whatever we need. It's important that my husband can enjoy where we are.

VCOM-auburn:
PROS: enjoyed interview day, loved the school and the overall atmosphere, felt like it could be home, access to auburn facilities, multiple state parks and things to do for my outdoor-loving husband to enjoy
CONS: unsure about access to rotations without having to relocate for a period of time, limited history with board scores, mandatory attendance and dress code (I have to wear professional clothes on a daily basis now and god i hate it)

KCU-joplin:
PROS: beautiful school, awesome board scores with their history in kansas city (but do i need to separate that since it's a different site), 2 huge hospitals for rotations that we won't have to move for, no dress code or mandatory attendance
CONS: brand new site, not a fan of the area, not much for my husband to do, limited daycare options, high crime rate, gave zero information about 3rd and 4th year on interview day

ATSU-KCOM:
PROS: well established, good school, beautiful area and awesome weather (love the cold) loveddddd the nearby state park, husband really liked it, no dress code
CONS: it's in the middle of nowhere, like one grocery store and few restaurants for quick food. limited job opportunities for husband, limited daycares, have to move again for rotations

please help. any advice and information will be greatly appreciated

Well personal feel matters a lot and it sounds like you liked VCOM auburn in that regard. If it were me, I would pick KCU Joplin; I interviewed at KCU KC and all the students there were raving about how Joplin's rotation sites were awesome, really hands on, etc. You cant go too far wrong though OP. Congrats on the acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many factors to consider with the decision, but I would say do what you feel will make you happier during the school years. I'm going to VCOM-Auburn even over an acceptance from CCOM, but it is closer to home, had a better atmosphere, and it is the best choice for my wife and I since we are from the area.

I can’t overemphasize just how “in the middle of nowhere” atsu is. You better be able to picture yourself in a living situation like that. Personally it would drive me crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say KCOM, awesome school, really established, lots of alumni.

Hiya. I go to KCOM. Attached is a list of daycares from our spouse group if it’s helpful. It doesn’t look like much but keep in mind we’re in a pretty small town so it’s not like we need a lot.

Housing’s really cheap and there’s not really a “bad” place to live in Kirksville. It’s really good for families to live frugally.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or just want some general info.

Attachments

• 4F5EE7A7-89FB-4543-88A9-0708409E3CDD.jpeg
    4F5EE7A7-89FB-4543-88A9-0708409E3CDD.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 65