Please Help Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyfinger123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all good people.

I just got my ECFMG two days ago. I do not have the best score in the world but I am very hard working person. I have four children and I work full time as a taxi driver and my wife look out after the kids for the most part. I was just wondering if anyone know of an unexpected opening position for the pgy1 in Internal medinie, Med-Peds, Peds, or any field related to internal medicine such as internal medicine-psych. I wanted to start residency soon, I am not getting any younger and the taxi job is no longer supportive for my family, I also feel its too late to apply now. I am willing to go to anywhere in the United states. I have no Visa issue. I am really confused and hopless at this time. I do not have a computer, so I really can not vist often, So please email me at [email protected] for any input and then we can exchange phone and talk. Thank very much.

Members don't see this ad.

babyfinger123 said:
Dear all good people.

I just got my ECFMG two days ago. I do not have the best score in the world but I am very hard working person. I have four children and I work full time as a taxi driver and my wife look out after the kids for the most part. I was just wondering if anyone know of an unexpected opening position for the pgy1 in Internal medinie, Med-Peds, Peds, or any field related to internal medicine such as internal medicine-psych. I wanted to start residency soon, I am not getting any younger and the taxi job is no longer supportive for my family, I also feel its too late to apply now. I am willing to go to anywhere in the United states. I have no Visa issue. I am really confused and hopless at this time. I do not have a computer, so I really can not vist often, So please email me at [email protected] for any input and then we can exchange phone and talk. Thank very much.

Hello there,

I was recently an interview at Queens Hospital Center and the secretary, Ms. Ishman mentioned that they have a position beginning in January 2005 for categorical medicine but it is for someone who has no visa issue and someone who does not have to relocate their address and is able to begin in January. You may want to try calling her. Good luck and tell us how you do.

No, there is no opening there. I am still waiting and hoping for any position anywhere. Now, I have more time since my taxi company has closed down. It's all doing down for me this year!!! :scared:

Shock said:
Hello there,

I was recently an interview at Queens Hospital Center and the secretary, Ms. Ishman mentioned that they have a position beginning in January 2005 for categorical medicine but it is for someone who has no visa issue and someone who does not have to relocate their address and is able to begin in January. You may want to try calling her. Good luck and tell us how you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably already know about FRIEDA but just in case you do not. Go to www.ama-assn.org. Click Medschool-residency, then FRIEDA, then Residency Program Search and pick both Internal Medicine and New York State. Then just start calling all the programs especially in Queens, Brooklyn and Bronx. This is assuming you live in NYC. If not once place that is great for this is SUNY Upstate in Syracuse and SUNY Brooklyn and Buffalo and Albany. (These are great for forigen medical graduates I hear...I'm American but I know a lot of foriegn grads)

If you try all of this for a year or so I would highly recommend going into Physical Therapy. My parents neighbor is a doctor from the Philippens and was not able to get a residency while he was a cab driver. He dediced to train in physical theraphy for less than two years and now has a very nice house in Jamaica Estates, Queens and obviously make a good living. He does not practice medicine but is very happy with his career. Another option is nursing because you can get a visa this way. However, it's not pleasant to go from doctor to nurse.

I hope you find a residency though.

When my wife (also an IMG) was interviewing 2-years ago,
we found the following most "anxious" to get enough residents just to fill their spots:
1) Mich State at Grand Rapids, Michigan
2) St Joseph's at Pontiac, MI
3) U of Illinois at Urbana, IL
4) You already know Beth Israel in Newark, NJ

Yes, all their locations suck big time, but apply anyway.
Good luck
Andre