Please help me in the steps to Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jappy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am an Indian medical student from Poland. I will graduate in June 2006. I haven't taken any of the USMLE steps yet. I am planning to take Step 2 few months after my graduation and then Step 1. I haven't done any research so far.

I would like some advice on increasing my chances of getting a residency.
1. Is some research necessary? What kind of research and how long?
2. How much should I score on the USMLEs to have a chance as an IMG?
3. I heard some of the specializations are not available for IMGs. Can someone tell me which specializations are very competitive and which ones I will have a chance to get in.
4. Should I do the Step 1 in less than a year after the Step 2? Does the time matter?

I hope someone will be kind enough to answer my questions even if they are a bit silly. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Jappy said:
Hello,
I am an Indian medical student from Poland. I will graduate in June 2006. I haven't taken any of the USMLE steps yet. I am planning to take Step 2 few months after my graduation and then Step 1. I haven't done any research so far.

3. I heard some of the specializations are not available for IMGs. Can someone tell me which specializations are very competitive and which ones I will have a chance to get in.
4. Should I do the Step 1 in less than a year after the Step 2? Does the time matter?

I hope someone will be kind enough to answer my questions even if they are a bit silly. Thank you in advance.
Try posting this in the Eurppean forum, or try the Valuemd forums, just in case you don't get the answers you are seeking.

Jappy said:
simple: the more you got, the better..

sunny123 said:
Try posting this in the Eurppean forum, or try the Valuemd forums, just in case you don't get the answers you are seeking.

Thank you Sunny. I will post it in the European forum and hope I get some more responses. :)