Please Help Me Decide BUSM vs UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrusGolshi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a California applicant that is currently deciding between either attending BUSM or UT San Antonio. I'm considering going into either orthopedics or dermatology, but to be honest, I'm uncertain and am open to exploring different specialties.

UT San Antonio is really behind on releasing financial aid packages and have told me that there is no way that I will be given it before I have to make the decision. I estimate that It will at least cover tuition because my family's expected financial contribution is $0, but nothing is certain.

BUSM ( COA: 160 k after 55k yearly scholarship)

PROS:
- Boston: Many Research opportunities ( potential opportunities for research at Tufts and Harvard as well if I reach out?)
- Option to spend my third year in Silicon Valley, California
- On campus subsidized housing
- Mission based school that cares about the underserved
- Pass/ Fail curriculum for the first two years
- Potentially Matches better into California?
- slight edge on prestige

CONS:
- Always be in the shadow of Harvard
- Cold Weather
- Cost of attendance
- Long flight from home (6 hours)
- Not in the best of neighborhoods

UT San Antonio ( COA ~ 80k)

PROS

- Warmer weather
- Likely Cheaper
- Closer to family (3 hour flight)
- I have one uncle that lives in San Antonio, so I might see him once in a while
- They're building a half-billion dollar Medical Center that should be done by when I start rotations, seems cool

CONS

- Less research opportunities
- don't know if they match as well outside of Texas
- First two years are graded

Any advice is beyond appreciated, thank you all so much for taking the time to read this. I hope you have a lovely day.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @CyrusGolshi
You have 2 great schools so I think your choice will come down to cost and the city you like better.
San Antonio population is 1.5 million and the metro area is 2.5 million so it's a huge place but spread out more so it doesn't feel as urban as Boston. There's Joint Base San Antonio so lots of military and their families, good for Ortho learning.

Here's a link to this year's Match lists so you can see where both Boston and Long students matched. #1

Reactions: 1 user